U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 06:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,888,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
When the auto industry is down, Dayton will be the first to suffer and the last to recover. The large UAW presence precludes many industrial firms from relocating to Dayton and Montgomery County.
I think the auto industry is not just down in this area, but out. I think the last GM/Delphi thing here is that engine plant thats a joint venture with some Japanese auto company. There might be a few independent suppliers or job-shops around, but I understand the local machine shops have moved away from relying on the auto industry, so maybe they whether auto downturns better now?

I tend to agree to not come here if you don't have a job offer.
Quote:
Personally, unless you have a stable job awaiting you, I would look to go elsewhere

Maybe, but it might be a good place to start a business if one is entrepeneurially inclined (and it would be good to hear some opinions on that).

Last edited by JefferyT; 02-24-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 07:05 PM

296 posts, read 730,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
Maybe, but it might be a good place to start a business if one is entrepeneurially inclined (and it would be good to hear some opinions on that).
Well, allow me to provide a little feedback. I own and operate a business with my wife in Dayton. We have steady work and it is getting to the point that we will likely need to start hiring people soon. One of the biggest reason we have been able to go cash flow positive in a few years is our operating costs are very low relative to other parts of the country. That is a big plus - the cost of living here is very low and affords a person an opportunity that other areas may not.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:04 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,229,737 times
I think D8n is a great entrepreneurial location for exactly one general type of business: one that can leverage connections to world or national markets while taking advantage of a relatively inexpensive and chronically underemployed local labor pool.

(I am excluding the UAW from consideration here, those people have absolutely no clue about what the rest of the world contends with in terms of employment and they are just now finding out. )

What I'm saying is that you can probably find the most grateful technology professional or skilled tradesperson in this area who would welcome a regular paycheck at a decent company.

However, the local workplace culture is anti-entrepreneurial. So you have to figure this stuff out strictly on your own - existing entrepreneurs will either look down on you as either an exploitable resource, EG, hired hand, or as competition to be despised. I am mentally healthiest when I isolate myself from the local scene, sad to say.

People in Ohio think you're kind of weird for striking out on your own. I went into IT contracting in the late 90s here and peers acted like I had a second head or something. And cliques rule here - business people in this region tend to be clubby and exclusionary.

Also, in IT I have seen many smaller local companies either die out because of massive managerial and/or technical ineptitude, and a general bush league way of thinking.

The general way of thinking I see here is bottom feeding mediocrity - "how can we reign in this new guy we hired but make him work all weekend?"

The Dayton area can most definitely use fresh blood. "We have cheap, underemployed techies out the rear end, relocate your biz here from the east/west coast and save 50% on labor" should be a local rallying cry for business development.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,936,824 times
^^I have to agree.

Growing up in Dayton, there was just this very narrow-minded, petty mentality all over the region. Also, I remember Dayton being full of smug, arrogant snobs who thought they were really something special.

Back after the 1992 presidential election, I can remember telling people where I worked (Meijer in Englewood) that NAFTA was wrong, that Al Gore and Clinton were wrong, and that the jobs would be shipped out of the country and that our entire manufacturing base would be gutted. Those people just laughed and laughed and thought the party would go on forever.

We are now hearing the giant sucking sound (as Ross Perot said), as the manufacturing jobs have left and are never coming back. I was right; they were wrong, and now those people, whoever/where ever they are, are very likely suffering, as their stupid, pig-headed small-mindedness helped cause this, because they did not stand up for what was right, at that time. The chickens have come home to roost for them.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:17 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,355,741 times
Quote:
I think the auto industry is not just down in this area, but out. I think the last GM/Delphi thing here is that engine plant thats a joint venture with some Japanese auto company. There might be a few independent suppliers or job-shops around, but I understand the local machine shops have moved away from relying on the auto industry, so maybe they whether auto downturns better now?

I tend to agree to not come here if you don't have a job offer.

Being connected to a small machine shop of this nature in the area, I can say most of our work comes from foreign auto ventures around and about, places like Honda in Marysville, and Toyota in Georgetown, KY. Others do work for many food, bioscience/medical, chemical, electronic, and other manufacturers, along with WPAFB and other military ventures (for a while we did stuff for Humvees in the Persian Gulf war).

Also would strongly argue that Dayton is an ideal place to start a business. Overhead costs (and taxes, really) are way low, access is easy, and there is an amazing quantity of resources available, from advanced infastructure and much usuable space to a highly qualified and skilled workforce...

Many above comments pertain to the area's more conservative atmosphere. Yes, it bugs (and at times, scares) me, too . Watch FOX news anytime to get the average political perspective and mentality to accompany it. It is honestly negative, close-minded, and ignorant. Still, there is a HUGE population of people that aren't like that. They just tend to be a bit quieter.....

Old 02-25-2010, 04:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,355,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartGXL View Post
We are now hearing the giant sucking sound (as Ross Perot said), as the manufacturing jobs have left and are never coming back. I was right; they were wrong, and now those people, whoever/where ever they are, are very likely suffering, as their stupid, pig-headed small-mindedness helped cause this, because they did not stand up for what was right, at that time. The chickens have come home to roost for them.
If we were a more automated society and appropriate technology would have been enbraced (instead of slave labor in Asia...), this never would have occured. We have too many stupid, small-minded, pig-headed managres and CEO's who thought that a cheap ride into debt to hostile countries was a wiser idea that updating our manufacturing technologies to a point where we could retain our all-essential base.

We can't sell ourselves widgets or medical procedures all day and still retain our status as a powerful first-world country. On our current path, Asia will be the newest center of wealth, and we will be bankrupt because we are too stupid to ensure manufacturing remains a vital part of our economy. Our trade defecit is horrendous and inexcusable, and the more it widens, the less status we lose.

We need to automate, NOW, and if we don't, let's just say that buying Real Estate in China may not be such a bad idea.....

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,888,530 times
Quote:
Growing up in Dayton, there was just this very narrow-minded, petty mentality all over the region. Also, I remember Dayton being full of smug, arrogant snobs who thought they were really something special.
This is a generalization but I'd add "ignorant" and "passive-aggressive" the local character traits.

No, I'm not a fan of the locals either. I don't talk too much about this because its kind of rude to tell people that they and their neighbors are a bunch of ignorant pig-f_ckers, but (as a generalization) this one of the big turn-offs for me about the Dayton area, and is one of the things that contributes to the local malaise...the people, not the place.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,229,737 times
Quote:
... its kind of rude to tell people that they and their neighbors are a bunch of ignorant pig-f_ckers, ...
Although "ich bin ein Belmonter" , leave it to you to turn a phrase, Jeffery.

Snicker.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:18 AM

296 posts, read 730,713 times
Quote:
ig-f_ckers
I got one heck of a laugh from that one JeffreyT.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:23 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,935,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, unless you have a stable job awaiting you, I would look to go elsewhere.
Why would I want a stable job? I don't know a DARN thing about horses and I'd REALLY hate dealing with the manure... (Sorry; it's been THAT kind of day...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or