U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:14 AM

32 posts, read 85,678 times

Advertisements

I moved to Dayton from Lubbock,Texas almost two years ago. Although I must say Dayton in my opinion is better for a younger (24) college grad than Lubbock, however there are alot of things I did not like about Dayton.

Heres a top 5 list:

1. Transit is horrible for the price- Bigger and more efficient transit systems like Baltimore have cheaper fares (only 1.60 per way and 3.25 for a day pass) and it seems the prices continue to rise every year.

2. It really is a dying city as of now-In my almost 2 years here I believe I've seen 2-3 major companies leave for other cities. I'm sure there maybe more but thats all I've seen. I really hope more businesses come to Dayton.

3. Jobs are hard to find-As it is worse in places like Detroit, I know Dayton used to be/still is a manufacturing city, but still the lack of jobs/high unemployment rate is definitely a negative.

4. Downtown- It's supposed to be the heart of the city. I find myself going to other places for things to do in the winter (Beavercreek mainly) I did like the fact they moved where the bus hub is at both greyhound and RTA but besides riverscape and dragons game or urban nights downtown life is pretty dull (I live downtown by the way) as I side thought it might've been nice had they built a "Greene" like mall downtown.

5. Lack of services-(above mentioned RTA and other services that the city of Dayton doesn't have) The RTA should really service all of the suburbs as well as the city. I notice Beavercreek which in my opinion is a major suburb of Dayton gets snubbed on that end. I know it's in Greene county...but still.

I can say some nice things about Dayton as well (Nice people[for the most part], the dragons games are nice, top notch universities, Good schools in the suburbs, lots of biking/running/walking trails, and the gas prices for the most part are pretty good compared to the rest of the country) I really wish the city the best because it does have great potential and talking to some of the older people here they have said Dayton is not the same Dayton from the late 80's early 90's.

As for myself I'm moving back to Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:57 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,735 times
In some regards, I don't blame you.

Those are all valid points, and reasons I'll probably only return to Dayton to see family. It's suburbs are a great place to raise a family, but so are Columbus's, and there is much more to do here than in Dayton.

In any case, I wish you luck in Maryland. It's a beautiful state (though crowded in parts), that I am considering when done with college. Btw, I also have family there in Mt. Airy.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:38 PM

Thanks. I actually grew up in Maryland so it just be going back home to me.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:49 AM

6,351 posts, read 18,880,841 times
Lived in Annne Arundel Co. as a kid. Loved MD then. Now, it's STILL a great place to visit; lots of cultural, historical and other entertainment in a small area there. But the cost of living and traffic woes make me glad I live here (Dayton, OH area) and can always drive on over if I need a crab fix or want to see D.C. And TX is a great place to live, too. For reasons different than MD or OH...

Old 02-19-2010, 01:05 PM

Really??

I lived/grew up in Crownsville which is a small town outside of Annapolis. I loved it but its a really good area so its quite expensive as well as what you mentioned the cost of living is pretty high as well. I liked the Dallas/Ft.Worth area but Lubbock was just bleh and I hated it. Dayton I really hope can recover (from what I've read) from decades of poor planning and neglect. I've met some really nice people here so I'm sure to come back and visit but I doubt I'd ever seriously consider living here again.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:20 PM

355 posts, read 1,060,613 times
My entire family on my father's side is from Dayton Ohio.I was born there and visit alot by I didn't grow up there. I must agree with you about wanting to move. Dayton is pretty much dying. I grew up and lived in Detroit and the unemployment rate there has reached 50%! Most of the younger kids can't even find a summer job working in fast food cause all the people laid off from the motor companies are there! So sad, Detroit had potential to be the next New York or Chicago. Dayton does NOT offer a lot to do and the downtonw area (besides the riverside) is lame. I only like to go to Dayton because my family is there and we have a lot of get togethers. I was thinking about moving back up there (I'm down south now), but in Centerville instead of Dayton. How is the centerville area? I know they have good schools and stuff, but is it okay for a 24 year old to live?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:37 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,826,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
I was thinking about moving back up there (I'm down south now), but in Centerville instead of Dayton. How is the centerville area? I know they have good schools and stuff, but is it okay for a 24 year old to live?
Egads, I have read the prior posts and there was little that could not have been written in the 1980-1982 recession.

Dayton is a cyclical town with little or no manufacturing diversity. When the auto industry is down, Dayton will be the first to suffer and the last to recover. The large UAW presence precludes many industrial firms from relocating to Dayton and Montgomery County.

Personally, unless you have a stable job awaiting you, I would look to go elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,345,867 times
^Ugh.................

Last edited by Daytonnatian; 02-23-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: WAY too harsh before, probably to the extent of being unnecessary and starting an unattractive flame war.....

Old 02-24-2010, 04:02 PM

^ lol

btw dayton is slowly trying to change its image so I take back my dying city remark.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:32 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,735 times
^"...is slowly trying..."

That's why this city can be so frustrating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or