Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

My daughter has been looking at used cars for my 18-year old granddaughter. She told me they were probably going to buy a certain 2002 Ford Explorer. Yikes. She hadnt heard about the problem about those engines catching fire in the middle of the night -- and that year is on the recall list for that problem. I dont know if you remember the issue but it seems that, as the car ages and some particular part wears down, a spark can ignite the engine even (and especially) when the car is turned off. There were news stories about those cars bursting into fire in the garages while everyone was asleep and entire houses burning down.

I never tell my adult children what to do at all so I bit my lip after sending her some websites (at her request). I've been holding my breath (and my mouth) but I pray she wont buy that car.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:12 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Isn't it odd Wurzig how much can change just by moving from state to state? Have you started buying winter clothes yet? I know years ago when I lived in Oklahoma, my idea of winter clothes was a couple of sweaters and a lightweight coat. I didn't have actual winter wear.

Is your daughter living with you or does she have a place elsewhere?
She is with us for the summer but will be going back to Missoula late August..... Right before the move, I drove to Missoula to pick her up.....2 days up and 2 days back.......I had a couple of days to regroup and then the packers were at the house for 3 days......and then she and I hit the road to CO. I drove @ 4k miles within a week.....

I have coats, sweats, jeans, thick socks and some snow boots.....neck mufflers, gloves, beanies......I think I'll be okay... I have a fetish for umbrellas......I probably have about 10+.....most are solid nowadays, but I've had some very pretty ones in the past....Monet types of prints, beautiful colors, swirly designs, etc.....one of my favorites is a Winnie the Pooh scene.. I mostly concentrate on comfortable handles now....if I am alone, how tiny can it get and still cover me......and/or how strong is it so that it won't blow inside out in the wind...(the most expensive one is also a big one......it will not blow inside out......it's black and from Sharper Image....it is the best one I have ever had....it is fairly heavy though and doesn't fold up......it's not super-long, but it doesn't fold...).

The sunsets here are so pretty......there are usually some clouds......we see the Rockeis out the back.....the highest mountains still have snow on them.... But we've had heat lately and each day, there is a little less snow......but the Rocky Mountain National Park still has quite a bit....we will go there in August...I'll wear shorts but it will be pretty cold at the higher altitudes....(been there and done that about 12 years ago)....

Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'm so sorry for Wurzig and Glory that you've been having rain and storms but, like Camper, I wish you'd send them this way. We are so dry here. The weatherman has been predicting 20%-30% chance of rain all this week and all next week but, so far, my area hasnt seen one drop.

And I was very interested in the info about Crystal Light having a margarita-flavored drink mix. I didnt want to ruin my party-girl reputation here but I've been mixing the Daily's drinks with Crystal Light pink lemonade all along. It's quite tasty and I can sip it all evening without getting woozy.
I was there again today......the third one that I couldn't remember is appletini........so, marg, mojito and appletini.....they are almost sold out.....they were in one of those cardboard side-stack thingies so they may just be seasonal.....

A few months ago, I was in On The Border restaurant with my friend and we had a diet margarita that was just 100 calories.....it was pretty good....

At this high altitude, it rains but the winds come and dry it out.....the cement doesn't stay wet for very long....

Old 07-12-2011, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Hey Wurzig! good to hear from you again. And may I say... we call them there ridding mowers " tractors" here too. if you want your grass cut, you gotta make a man feel like a man. Ride 'em cowboy!!!

As far as the rain goes, all we're getting here is the birds in the tress sweating. At least I think it's sweat....
We don't know how to use ours.......LOL We be city slickers fo sho!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I kept it and do still run it but not constantly. My house was built in 1900 and sometimes I can smell the must in the summertime and when I do, I run it. It is amazing the moisture it collects. Damp Rid is good but the de-humidifiers get the job done. I have asthma so I have to stay on top of it or I will be in trouble and have an attack.
We lived by the ocean so I hung Damp Rid in the closets and I also had the kind that you put in the little cottage cheese container type of thing....boy, did they fill up! I brought it with me, but I am not sure if I will need it or not since it is dry here......

Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
I posted this in the HOUSE forum but thought it was interesting enough to post here, as well. I have six ceiling fans running 24/7 to keep down the cost of my a/c. Apparently each fan is costing me @ $7-8 per month, or a total of @ $40-50 per month. I could probably turn the thermostat down quite a bit for that amount.

I was checking on the cost of running ceiling fans when I came across a website that calculates the average electrical cost of just about any household appliance you might have. I found it somewhat interesting. Be sure to insert your cost per KWH:

Electrical Energy Cost Calculator
I think we have 11 fans here.....we've had the air on a few times, not too much...we set it at 80...sounds hot, but it isn't.....the utility bills will certainly be a LOT lower here than in the former house...... The first owners left a bunch of utility bills on the counter the day we had the inspection...water, gas, electric, trash....COMBINED, they did not even come close to ONE month for just ONE of our electric or gas bills at the old place...

Old 07-12-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Good Morning - Good Morning!

I had a great evening. Watched a Russell Crowe movie I have not seen 'The Insiders'.....movie was OK....I was just watching for him. Then on Netflix, they finally had the 3rd season of the Tudors posted, so I started watching that. I had Starz when they were showing it, but for some reason I never started watching this show until two seasons were already available on Netflix.

LOTS of new freebies for a Saturday. Seems like this week is mainly skin care and picture books.

Please remember to spread the love to all the other people who give us great freebie posts!
He's a good actor, but like so many, a butthead......sigh.....

Old 07-12-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Please let me know, too, GB.
Gosh, forward it to me, too, please......

Old 07-12-2011, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Busy schedules this week and next, getting caught up on things that I let slide when recovering....going to the local Social Security office to get what I hope is the last glitch cleared up, routine maintenance on my car, home a/c spring checkup, free home energy audit and applying for a passport (at my ripe old age).

When I was working I used to cram so much activity into my Saturdays and Vacation Days. Now it's so nice to schedule one thing for each day. And I've gotten so lazy that, if I dont get to that one thing, oh well...there's always tomorrow.
I have to get used to living farther away from things, so sometimes I ONLY get one errand done......I'm still disorganized in the house, finding places, getting lost, etc....it'll all come with time.......

Old 07-12-2011, 01:51 AM

Quote:

HAPPY SUNDAY!

Stayed up a little late watching the two seasons of Tudors that I had missed. Interesting stuff. This is what I always think about though, without the aid of running water, toothpaste and flush toilets, I wonder how clean they could possibly be? Nothing romantic about stinky.........
Crud, GB. Thought the Teddy was cute so I repped, but my pinkie became retarded and I didn't get to write the full rep.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff