Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
TFW...found a cool Halloween costume for our Queenie!
Oh, that is SO darling! I really do want to start sewing again. When my girls were small (40 years ago), I made ALL their clothes, and all mine too, on a little no-frills Brother sewing machine.

I've been googling various sewing machines and have pretty much decided on a Janome Magnolia 7318 sewing machine. I want something simple again; I really dont need all that expensive computerized stuff. I really liked my old Brother, but the Brothers I've seen online all are pretty expensive.

Do y'all have any suggestions other than the Janome? I really, really want something as simple as possible. I wont be doing anything fancy at all. In fact, if there's a machine out there that has only one stitch, I'd love to know about it!

Amazon.com: Janome Magnolia 7318 Sewing Machine: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Old 10-03-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
LOL, I want the teapot
You're welcome to it, Gandalara. I dont know if you can tell from the photo, but there's a little 3-D kitty on the lid and a little 3-D red ball of yarn on the spout. It's never been used, only displayed on the oven for 4-5 years.

I bought that teapot as a joke because everyone knows I'm not a cat person (I like cats just fine and even had several with the dobermans when my kids were growing up). I've had my eye on a cute giraffe teapot lately.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/texasfirewheel/giraffeteapot.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I don't know all that much about the different brands of sewing machines. I would approach it much like buying a wash machine....as long as it 'washes'... I wouldn't worry about all the frilly cycles I wouldn't end up using anyway. The problem with buying a sewing machine online would be the weight of shipping. You could check your local Craigslist though....or wait until after Christmas when people are selling the ones they got as gifts and then never end up using.

I know how to sew and would enjoy it. Maybe after I retire and have more time. I would like to make curtains, pillows and fancy up bathroom towels.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:11 AM

Has anyone ever had a week when EVERYTHING didn't go as planned? Financially, I had everything all sorted out and then my son thought his rent was due NEXT week and my daughter's child support checks stopped (poor guy has quit yet ANOTHER job). I was okay paying the utility/cable bills and still had a little cash left over. Then Izzy's field trip money was due and my Disney monthly payment hit my card....and all of a sudden I realize I'll have to nickle and dime until Friday when I get paid. (NEVER good news to someone who smokes.............)

I would rejoice in having a whole bunch extra NEXT week....but you know how that goes.

This week:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/no_money.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-04-2011, 05:16 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
It's National Night Out here in Texas. we changed it because of the heat.

I just wanted to say to all my cd buddies.... THIS BUD'S FOR YOU!!!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Has anyone ever had a week when EVERYTHING didn't go as planned?
Sorry, Glory. And yep..It seems as though, once one thing goes wrong, others will always follow. Bad things dont happen to me in 3's...instead, things go wrong all on one day, or two days, or even sometimes 3-4 days.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
It's National Night Out here in Texas. we changed it because of the heat.
I just wanted to say to all my cd buddies.... THIS BUD'S FOR YOU!!!!!
Thanks, Camper! And to all my CD buddies, THIS DAILY'S MARGARITA IS FOR YOU!!!!

Old 10-04-2011, 09:11 PM

Nothing like a bunch of frugal alcoholics finding each other on a national internet forum.......................

Here's my story:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/funny-pictures307.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by GloryB; 10-04-2011 at 09:45 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 01:12 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
TFW, what a nice kitchen........tidy, too...... Grout looks fine in the pic, but I know you want it to be snow white. I haven't tried my steam thingie yet......I hope it helps..... I'd be afraid that I'd break the ears off of that giraffe.

Poor GB.....always stretched to the max.... I hope those support payments come soon......grrrr! What did your boy decide about the job? Is your girl still going to go away to school?

Camper, congrats on kissing off the smoking.......

We took a walk around the lake today..(this is the 2nd time I have sprayed mosquito stuff on me, but none have buzzed by me, so maybe they are thinning out...but they are still here at dusk and night time)...and a bald eagle flew right over my head......I couldn't believe it! I have seen several in a conservation area in the San Diego Wild Animal Park, (or one of those types of places), and I saw one nesting in Canada when I was going down a river, but it was in the distance.......this one was just a few feet above my head. I couldn't believe my eyes! Boy, this and a big fox over the weekend........wow!

Our best friend for 36 years, in CA., is gravely ill. It's just a matter of time......so sad....wasn't supposed to be like this...... We are supposed to go to parent weekend in MT. in the middle of the month.......everything at once......

I am the world's worst seamstress. There is something in my brain---I can cut out a pattern, but beyond that, I do it all incorrectly......I sew sleeves on upside down and have to rip them off 40 times, (and then the fabric gets worn out and I rip it, too), I can't put in a zipper to save my life..... And I am a crummy ironer, too.......I hate to iron and it shows!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
I made some very nice Christmas tree skirts as gifts one time......but that's it. I am terrible at it! The thread on the machine gobs all up, too, so I spend half my time fixing it...... I am good at reattaching buttons......LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff