Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 12:37 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times

Advertisements

I have decided that we freebie pals are like bras.......we give support when needed.....

Old 05-27-2012, 08:21 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I have decided that we freebie pals are like bras.......we give support when needed.....
...and the rest of the time we just sort of flop around.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Happy Sunday!!

I have to go to the store for toilette paper....of all things. I thought there was a whole extra pack in the downstairs bathroom, but NO....there isn't.

Due to the tropical storm brewing close by in the Atlantic, it is quite windy outside today. It's nice to look at from the inside, but certainly not wonderful or safe grilling weather.

Did you know you could go to the PBS site and watch all sorts of episodes from their line up of programs? I love online television!! I guess in time everyone will just have their televisions hooked to online viewing...rather than cable. Then you can just type in whatever you are in the mood to watch.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. I know I will.....

Old 05-27-2012, 01:38 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,796,611 times
Quote:
So True !!!

Old 05-27-2012, 06:51 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Happy Sunday!!

I have to go to the store for toilette paper....of all things. I thought there was a whole extra pack in the downstairs bathroom, but NO....there isn't.

Due to the tropical storm brewing close by in the Atlantic, it is quite windy outside today. It's nice to look at from the inside, but certainly not wonderful or safe grilling weather.

Did you know you could go to the PBS site and watch all sorts of episodes from their line up of programs? I love online television!! I guess in time everyone will just have their televisions hooked to online viewing...rather than cable. Then you can just type in whatever you are in the mood to watch.

I hope everyone enjoys their weekend. I know I will.....
This reminds me of when I was a kid and we would go on driving vacations. We'd stay in those motels that had separate cabins. There were pay TVs in the rooms and we'd put quarters in the TVs so we could watch them. I always figured that was pay TV.

Flash forward to 1978 when I was visiting a family in Scotland. We stayed with them for a couple of weeks. They lived in what is called "council housing." We arrived in June and it was COLD. There was snow in the highlands. The family got their electricity by putting coins in a box mounted on the wall. They paid by the hour. I wonder if they still do it the same way today. I'll ask the next time I talk to them.

When they came to visit us they thought we were rich. Well, we certainly were not by American standards but I guess we were by Scottish standards. Yeah, we Americans are lucky and we owe about 95% of that to our military. So, take a minute tomorrow to thank a vet for his/her service.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
This reminds me of when I was a kid and we would go on driving vacations. We'd stay in those motels that had separate cabins. There were pay TVs in the rooms and we'd put quarters in the TVs so we could watch them. I always figured that was pay TV.

Flash forward to 1978 when I was visiting a family in Scotland. We stayed with them for a couple of weeks. They lived in what is called "council housing." We arrived in June and it was COLD. There was snow in the highlands. The family got their electricity by putting coins in a box mounted on the wall. They paid by the hour. I wonder if they still do it the same way today. I'll ask the next time I talk to them.

When they came to visit us they thought we were rich. Well, we certainly were not by American standards but I guess we were by Scottish standards. Yeah, we Americans are lucky and we owe about 95% of that to our military. So, take a minute tomorrow to thank a vet for his/her service.
I have a cd friend whose son is doing something similar in AZ. I was surprised and didn't know something like this still existed....... She told me last year so I am kinda fuzzy about it, but he had to go to a corner, (maybe a 7-11), or else go down to a corner and poke money in a box attached to a post and get time for his a/c in his apartment....... Dang, can't exactly remember. She said it was cheaper for him that way instead of getting on a regular plan with the electric company.

Well, last night I found out that an online friend died.......she lived in New Orleans. I've 'known' here for over 15 years, so this has been sad........

AND, tonight a neighbor's house burned......it's terrible....total loss...the firetrucks will be there all night. Apparently the owner was bbq'ing something and the propane tank exploded and flew into the house like a missle....fire everywhere and then the roof caught on fire.....not sure if the owners are ok. Heard the man was singed and the woman was taken to the hospital.....maybe smoke inhalation, I dunno. They are retirement age, but not elderly. No kids in the home, so if they have them, I guess they are grown and don't live there. The house is 1 road over from us, (so on the road next to the reservoir), but we see the house clearly from our house...everybody has acreage, so it's not super close---it took us about 5 minutes at a rapid pace to get closer to the house, but we see it from our porch.....a lifetime of everything.....gone. They have a 5 or 6 car garage.......heard that they didn't even have time to get a car out... So very sad......devastating. We've had strong winds today, (and yesterday), so it's kinda scary.....the house on the next lot down from them is totally lit.......they are probably nervous about embers flying in the wind...... It's chilly out there tonight, so at least that is good. 2 nights ago it felt like an August night....

Old 05-28-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
...and the rest of the time we just sort of flop around.
Shoot, fat fingers made me post a rep before I was done.........

flop, flop, flop......

Old 05-28-2012, 07:26 AM

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!!

Ahh Wurzig, how very sad about your neighbors! I'm sure they have homeowners insurance, but there are just so many things you can never replace. I'm sure they are devastated.

Being single, I've always stayed away from propane related grilling. Without a guy around who knows what he is doing, I would be in fear of screwing up something. We were actually thinking about grilling, with charcoal, down at the big park....but it's way too windy. I don't goof around with fire.

ketabcha, I watched a documentary about the UK awhile back and they had to put money in a meter as well. Wouldn't that just be a pain in the a$$? It would be like living in the middle of a coin laundry.... I think at that point I would be figuring out a way to purchase solar panels.

Hope you are having a great day Bob! Thanks for all the great freebies.

Hope Camper is off having fun!!

....and I hope our dear friend tfw is in better spirits today.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:35 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Quote:
It's really quite amazing just how close we become with "cyber friends."
We worry about each other and actually keep on eye on the weather where our pals live. I'm watching Florida closely and not just because I worry about the wetlands and an idiot governor but because GB lives there. I watch Colorado, Houston, San Antonio, Oklahoma and California, Canada, etc., because of friends there whom I have not met face-to-face.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
It's really quite amazing just how close we become with "cyber friends."
We worry about each other and actually keep on eye on the weather where our pals live. I'm watching Florida closely and not just because I worry about the wetlands and an idiot governor but because GB lives there. I watch Colorado, Houston, San Antonio, Oklahoma and California, Canada, etc., because of friends there whom I have not met face-to-face.
I PREFER online friends. I don't have to get dressed, I don't have to share coffee and I can turn off the computer when I'm done.

Thanks ketabcha...we ARE having a really nasty weather day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff