U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 AM

12,334 posts, read 7,788,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Yes, I have all of Stuart woods' stuff too.

LAWRENCE BLOCK is another great author. Check out his books (after you buy some Westlakes) if you havent already. Some of Block's stuff is kinda dark (EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE) but excellent. His BURGLAR series, featuring something-always-goes-wrong-burglar Bernie Rhodenbarr (THE BURGLAR IN THE CLOSET, BURGLARS CANT BE CHOOSERS, etc), is quite funny and entertaining.
I love Lawrence Block. I will never forget the time the hero was set up on a blind date. They are sitting in the restaurant and he asks her what she did for a living. She replied she was a poetry therapist. She helped people deal with things by having them write poetry.

His reply was a classic: "Oh, good. I could use some help because I suffer from Edna St.Vincent Malaise."

Block had me with that one. lololol

Old 03-19-2012, 12:46 PM

11,084 posts, read 7,300,828 times
Howdy peeps!!! We are fixing to get pounded with rain here AGAIN!!! I swear , it's either all or nothing these past few years. It's great for our wildflowers but omg, the weeds are like something out of a sci fi movie. They are huge!!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Howdy peeps!!! We are fixing to get pounded with rain here AGAIN!!! I swear , it's either all or nothing these past few years. It's great for our wildflowers but omg, the weeds are like something out of a sci fi movie. They are huge!!
Yep. I'm battening down the hatches because bad weather is on the way. It should be hitting here late this afternoon. This storm spawned tornadoes in Oklahoma on its way here. Yikes!

Old 03-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I meant 'Walking Dead'........ROFL!
Season 3 doesn't start until the Fall. I was thinking that it was a long time to wait but then I remembered that it is March and it seems like it was just Christman.

I ordered the book The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor. He is such an evil guy. It will be interesting to know about his past before season 3 begins.

Old 03-19-2012, 01:49 PM

10,564 posts, read 8,957,720 times
Camper and Ketabcha, I know you're going to get some baaad weather. Houston is supposed to get it tomorrow. But I'll take the rain and high winds over the drought any day.

Ketabcha, I laughed at the memory of the Lawrence Block line that you quoted. CARL HIAASEN is another comedy-mystery author that you readers might enjoy. His books were almost always based in Florida and he almost always addressed ecological issues in a very funny way. One of his books was made into the movie STRIP TEASE (starring, I think, Demi Moore).

Old 03-19-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Camper and Ketabcha, I know you're going to get some baaad weather. Houston is supposed to get it tomorrow. But I'll take the rain and high winds over the drought any day.

Ketabcha, I laughed at the memory of the Lawrence Block line that you quoted. CARL HIAASEN is another comedy-mystery author that you readers might enjoy. His books were almost always based in Florida and he almost always addressed ecological issues in a very funny way. One of his books was made into the movie STRIP TEASE (starring, I think, Demi Moore).

You know who else is a hoot with her mystery books? Carol Higgins Clark.
She wrote Decked about murder on a cruise ship. Twanged about death in the Nashville music scene. She writes light-hearted mysteries and makes me laugh a lot.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM

Camper and Ketabcha, I hope you're ok.

Camper, I read that a tornado touched down in San Antonio. Scary!

Ketabcha, I also read that you had some high winds. We did too. In fact, much of my area was without electricity due to the winds today.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Camper and Ketabcha, I hope you're ok.

Camper, I read that a tornado touched down in San Antonio. Scary!

Ketabcha, I also read that you had some high winds. We did too. In fact, much of my area was without electricity due to the winds today.
This is supposed to last until tomorrow afternoon. Dallas has a lot of flooding and wind damage. It's been steadily raining here since around 7. The winds are not bad but we may get as much as 6" of rain. If that happens then my 1978 sunken den will flood. No big deal. I have the cleanup routing down pat.

There are a lot of power outages but they seem to be more in Dallas than my area which is west of Dallas. I have 3 lanterns because the power goes out here so often. I'm loaded for bear but only expecting a cub.

Thanks for caring, TFW. I hope it is just rain that you get in Houston tomorrow. My aunt lives in Pearland and her house floods from time to time. There isn't anything a person can do about rising water.

Oh, the temp here dropped from 78 to 58 in two hours. I love it.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:12 PM

Of course I care, Ketabcha! You and Camper are my Texas family. There's someone else here from Texas but my CRS cant recall who it is right now.

Pearland does flood ocasionally. I'm sorry for your aunt. In 1983 Tropical Storm Alicia flooded my area and left water right up to my front door. I have photos of our Golden Retriever riding a surfboard up and down the street. She was in heaven with all that water. (The dobermans were horrified at the idea of getting their feet damp.) My street floods sometimes but never as bad as in 1983.

The storm that's blowing in is supposed to be slow-moving. The worst of it is predicted to arrive mid-morning and stick around all day. As much rain as we've had lately, we're still not caught up on the average rainfall.

Old 03-20-2012, 01:34 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,771,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
You know who else is a hoot with her mystery books? Carol Higgins Clark.
She wrote Decked about murder on a cruise ship. Twanged about death in the Nashville music scene. She writes light-hearted mysteries and makes me laugh a lot.
Yep, she's what's her face's daughter, but they write differently......I've read a lot by both......but not recently.

Today was busy...and then the dog did diarrhea on the dining room carpet all over the place when I was out unloading the car....who knows what he ate......I am not in a happy place........grrrrr.

I went to bed early, ate too late, ate heavy protein, can't sleep.....now up drinking a bit of ginger ale.....sigh...

Keta, are you talking about the black-hooded character in the last scene of WD?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff