Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
First day of training this morning. Everything went well but was pulled out after lunch since the class was over booked. Transferred to the afternoon class which start on thursday. So looks like this will be my 2nd first day on the job.
Hang in there, your going to be great!!!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:26 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,000,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
My folks would show up unexpectedly over the years and I was always so glad to see them.

In Abilene there was a place that sold "pink cookies." They were pecan sandies with pink frosting and everyone in town loved them. When I went off to college, about 200 miles away, my mother would send me care packages that always contained those great cookies. You really don't realize how much snack food means to you until you don't have any.

In my 30s I got Mono. I was feeling so sorry for myself. Couldn't go to work and couldn't do anything around the house because I had no energy. If I tried to wash a load of clothes in the morning I was wiped out my 1:00.

One day the doorbell rang and there stood my parents. They'd driven nearly 200 miles to see me and they were loaded down with 12 doz pink cookies. Whenever I see a pink frosted cookie I think of them and I get the warm fuzzies.
I'm choking back tears.... thats an awesome story.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
After my two youngest kids were 4 and 6, they saw their dad about 5 times the rest of their lives. It does leave holes in the heart. I've always tried to be MORE because he was LESS....but abandonment from a parent is such a devastating emotional thing.

I'm so sorry, Glory. It was the same with my girls. They were 18 months old and 5 days old when their dad wanted a divorce -- and they saw him only once after that. Hr had a plane and flew all over the country but wouldnt take time to see them or even send a card on the birthdays/Christmas/whatever. It affected them terribly.

The mother can try to make up for it but, as you said, what the feeling of abandonment does to a child's self-worth is devastating.

Last edited by TFW46; 03-28-2012 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: edited to correct typo

Old 03-28-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
In my 30s I got Mono. I was feeling so sorry for myself. Couldn't go to work and couldn't do anything around the house because I had no energy. If I tried to wash a load of clothes in the morning I was wiped out my 1:00.

One day the doorbell rang and there stood my parents. They'd driven nearly 200 miles to see me and they were loaded down with 12 doz pink cookies. Whenever I see a pink frosted cookie I think of them and I get the warm fuzzies.

O, Ketabcha, this made me cry. What wonderful parents and what a wonderful way to tell you how much they love you.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
First day of training this morning. Everything went well but was pulled out after lunch since the class was over booked. Transferred to the afternoon class which start on thursday. So looks like this will be my 2nd first day on the job.

Yay for you, msev! Keep us posted on how you like it.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM

400 posts, read 498,264 times
Thanks for all your support girls! Aw I'll just miss this pretty girl in the class yesterday!

Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM

I told youall about how my sister gave me a professional house-cleaning for my birthday. The crew is coming tomorrow. There will be 3-4 women and I was told it might take 8 hours or more.

I dont see how they can spend that much time here, though. My house is so small and it's not really dirty. The only real projects are dusting and washing the porcelain/ceramic tile throughout the house -- I do both of those regularly but not as in-depth as the crew is going to do. They're not doing any laundry or cleaning in the garage.

I'm so nervous. I feel as though I should do some pre-cleaning, like maybe wipe down the baseboards or something. My sister is paying $450 for this -- which I think is insane. But maybe tomorrow I'll report back that it was worth every penny.

Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your support girls! Aw I'll just miss this pretty girl in the class yesterday!
Hey, maybe the Second First Day Class will have even a better looking one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

I dont see how they can spend that much time here, though. My house is so small and it's not really dirty.
I was thinking the same thing. Your house is ALWAYS spotless. Too bad you can't divert them to my daughters side of our house.........

It will be a real treat for your crew tomorrow. Maybe you should just make some drinks and call it party!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 AM

My house is pretty clean -- but I hate, hate, hate dusting -- and I hate, hate, hate washing the floors. I used to love washing the floors but the Roombas have spoiled me.

I cant believe how nervous I am, Glory! I have so much art pottery and no place to hide it so they cant accidentally break something while dusting. I know it will take them a while to dust all the 75-100 photos in the Photo Room. But where are they going to come up with 8 hours of work?

I had debated leaving the house but decided against that. I dont want to hover over them but I do want to make sure that, since my sister is paying such an insane amount for 8 hours of work, they really do 8 hours' worth. If it turns out to be less than 8 hours, she'll pay less.

Dark of the Moon reminded me that 1SaleADay is having a real flash sale (where the merchandise changes every 30 minutes) on the Family items. I've already bought one thing and am trying not to check every half hour.

Family Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day

Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Pretty girls come and go -- but a good job could be forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff