Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 11:48 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times

Advertisements

There are guy's at work who think I'm wacko because I like couponing and getting free samples. The women seem to understand. I think it's a fun hobby to search out deals on items we need in our home. Maybe some people just don't understand? I'm not sorry because I like saving money. Anyone else get weird flack for doing coupons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:44 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
There are guy's at work who think I'm wacko because I like couponing and getting free samples. The women seem to understand. I think it's a fun hobby to search out deals on items we need in our home. Maybe some people just don't understand? I'm not sorry because I like saving money. Anyone else get weird flack for doing coupons?
If they want to make fun, who cares, let them make fun. Meanwhile, you're saving money and they're not. Who's the one to be laughing at?

If you really want to say something, you can estimate how much you save per year by clipping coupons and getting free stuff and the next time they want to spout off about it, pointing and laughing, you can say something like:

"Let me ask you something. If someone came up to you and handed you $400, would you take it or throw it in the trash? I saved $400 last year using coupons and getting free stuff...and with that money that I saved I (whatever you did with it). So, laugh all you want but you lot look like a bunch of idiots for throwing away money that people are handing to you."

That might shut 'em up.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,273,694 times
I'm a girl, so I guess it's expected (somewhat?) of us. I don't think you're wacko at all. I think you're very wise. I cannot imagine someone not wanting to save money! This reminds me of Dollar Stores. I've been shopping in them for years, and saving lots of money in doing so. I read something the other day about how some people are just 'finding' out about them. Really? Were they embarrassed to go in them before? Honey, show me a deal and I'll give ya a buck!

Old 08-07-2011, 01:23 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
I can understand where among men they may feel like using coupons is somehow suggesting they don't make enough money. The deal is, most really don't make enough money in our present economy, and coupons are really needed to make ends meet. Pride in hard times is wasted energy.

Years past, some women had the same attitude. They have gotten wiser.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:53 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,808,285 times
There is a pub down the street from me and they allways have coupons and my buddies leave it to me to find them!
$2 Drafts and good food.
These are $5 off $15 or more with food purchase.

Today they were in the sunday online newspaper.
They omited a expiration date on the coupon

printed probably 130 until needing ink

Old 08-07-2011, 03:02 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,899,490 times
I just got back from Kroger. We saved $45.94 in manufacturer coupons!
Sure, it took me a couple hours to clip the one's we needed, put them in order by aisle, etc, but for damn near $46 in savings, why not? Oh and I made sure all the items were also on sale, to make the savings even more.

LOL, I also ran out of ink in the printer. Gotta get on that.

I thank you all for the encouraging words.

Old 08-07-2011, 06:32 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I'm not looking at this as a "I make enough money and don't need coupons" mind set from the other guys. I think that it is a gender thing and they think coupons are "woman's work." However, they think it is okay to sit around and talk about where the best deal is for electronics and sports stuff. Most men are so concerned about being known for doing "girly" things. They don't realize it has nothing to do with masculine and feminine. It has to do with being smart and informed.

I think it is great that you enjoy couponing. It feels so good to save money and your bank account appreciates it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff