U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:54 PM

2,164 posts, read 1,407,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I have heard stories about how people manage to get ten carts of stuff for $5 or so. My question is, how do they do this? The only thing I can think of is they are using multiple manufacturer coupons for one item. I thought you couldn't do this method? Don't get me wrong, I don't want carts of stuff, but I would like to be able to get a toothbrush or deodorant for pennies using multiple coupons for one item.

Is this how they do it and if so, how do they get away with it?
They're not using multiple manufacturer coupons for one item: they use one store coupon and one manufacturer coupon, and they're combining them with a sale. And they live in states where the stores will double coupons.

Like you, I don't want carts of stuff either. What I do want is my Hurricane Prep. Every year we stock up on extra food & cleaning & paper supplies in case we get hit. Well, when I decided to use more coupons, I just started stocking up a bit earlier. Most sales come around about every 3 months, so if you can afford it, you buy a 3-month supply.

Before you can really take advantage of couponing, I think you gotta stock up on your staples. Once you have the basics, you can wait for the sales. I have almost everything I need, so when there's a sale I can buy extras of the things I don't need immediately. I still have to buy the fresh stuff like meat & veggies every week, tho'.

When I get the weekly fliers, I check to see if I have coupons for what's on sale. What's even better is when the store offers their own coupons as well. So what I look for is items on sale that I have both a store coupon and a manufacturer's coupon.
Better than just on sale is when it's Buy 1 Get 1 Free. Because you're allowed to use 1 coupon for each item....even when 1 of those items was the 1 Free!

For example, say an item is normally $6 each. The sale is BOGO, which makes them $3 each, and I have two coupons, each for $1 off.
Instead of paying $12 for two, I pay $6 for two, then I use one coupon for $1 off regular price, plus $1 off the free item. That makes it $4 for two items, which comes to an average of $2 each -- a savings of 33%.
THEN, sometimes in the store fliers there are store coupons. These are more likely to run .50 or less. I can also use two of those, cuz I'm getting two items. If I have store coupons for .50 each, that makes my total price $1.50 an item.
Florida stores got together, I'm sure, to make it illegal to double coupons here. But if we could double, that'd mean getting another $1 off, so the grand total of each item would be .50 instead of $6.

Once you're stocked up, you can get away with only buying things that are on sale, that you have coupon(s) for, and that's when you have more freedom. Since you're not stuck buying only the stuff you need, you can buy mostly the stuff on sale. Most of what I buy these days is on sale, and then fresh stuff. However, if you 're lucky you can sometimes find, for example, a coupon I got last week: buy 2 bags of chips and get 2 free pounds of grnd beef. So of course I waited til they were on sale: BOGO. And I had coupons for the chips as well. So I gave the cashier 3 coupons: the one to get the free meat, plus two at .50 off each bag of (on sale) chips.

Hope this helps to explain. I'm sure there's a much easier way to say it. It took me a while cuz I'm not that good at math...sorry. Hope I got it right! I always use a calculator, but it's a whole different thing to try to get it down in words!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:30 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,877,956 times
That explains it great! I am still at the rookie stage. I have learned one thing; don't use a coupon on an item just because you have a coupon. Not on sale? I'm not buying.

I have noticed where I live that the Kroger store does double coupons with a face value up to 50 cents. If the coupon is worth 50 cents, they will make it $1. I have noticed plenty of coupons worth 55 cents so they can't be doubled. Pretty sneaky!

I really wish I could find fresh fruit and veggie coupons, but those are rare around here. The ONLY produce coupon I have is 40 cents off a bag of Kroger baby carrots. I wonder why there aren't more produce coupons?

Stocking up on detergent, TP, etc is a great idea. Items that won't go "bad". We have room to store them as well. I really appreciate the help I get from this site. Thank you all!

Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 PM

22,184 posts, read 12,080,154 times
Thanks for the info Starr

Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,038,366 times
Thanks so much for the great explanation Starr. I work for a newspaper and only grab coupons for stuff I would buy anyway. I'm not savvy at the whole coupon thing at all as far as actually making money at it.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:18 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,407,654 times
You're welcome,everyone. Glad it was helpful & not confusing.

One site that helped me a lot, although the name might throw you off, is
“Couponing to Disney”

She writes: "Welcome to Couponing to Disney where I teach you how to find money in your family's budget to pay for things you thought were out of your reach (like a trip to Disney!)."

She also has great tips like "How to save on ink when printing coupons."

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
That explains it great!
I have learned one thing; don't use a coupon on an item just because you have a coupon.

I really wish I could find fresh fruit and veggie coupons, but those are rare around here. The ONLY produce coupon I have is 40 cents off a bag of Kroger baby carrots. I wonder why there aren't more produce coupons?
I agree with that! For produce coupons, I look for those little boxes they sometimes have by salad dressings. I just look for coupon dispensers all over the store. You can also look on specific sites such as
Promotions - Old Orchard Brands

http://www.dole.com/BusinesstoBusine...6/Default.aspx

Kellogg

RAK007, you may also want to check out this site for coupon pollicies:
WEDNESDAY WORDS OF WISDOM

Last edited by Starr.R; 09-01-2011 at 02:24 AM.. Reason: add links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff