U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 PM

15,258 posts, read 20,198,407 times

Advertisements

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 21:

Daily Steals Today Main

It's not Daily's-Margarita-in-a-Pouch but this looks like fun:

Mr. Beer Premium Edition 2 Gallon Reusable Home Beer Brewing Kit - Perfect for St. Patrick's Day!

$21.99 + $4.99 shipping

Product Features:
• Beer brewing kit comes with everything needed to brew and bottle your first batch beer, a good starting point for a beginning brewer
• 4-Step instructions take you through the simple brewing process from start to finish
• Reuse this kit again and again with Mr. Beer Refill Brew Packs
• Reusable keg holds 2 gallons of beer or about 16 pints
• Shatter resistant keg is made from FDA compliant plastic, which imparts no taste or flavor migration. Also has wide mouth that allows for easy cleaning
• West Coast Pale Ale with Booster brew pack (included) has all the ingredients you need to make 2 gallons of beer
• Alcohol Content of a standard brew pack is 3.7% (equal to a standard commercial beer), but alcohol content of the beer is determined by the total amount of malt extract, sugars and fruit added to the beer mix. Experiment with new recipes to make beer that you want
• Designed specifically to be carbonated in the bottle, no industrial CO2 cartridges are needed to provide pressure

What You Get:
• Brew Keg with Lid and Tap Assembly
• Standard Brew Pack
• 8 Reusable Plastic 1-Liter Bottles with Caps
• 8 Labels with Mr. Beer Logo
• Brewing with Mr. Beer Brewer's Guide
• Easy to Follow 4 Step Brewing Instructions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:50 AM

8,402 posts, read 20,671,137 times
I looked at one of those a while back. I read a lot of complaints that the included mix isn't that great, but there are other mixes that can make some good beer. Other than that, it works well as long as everything is kept meticulously clean and sterile where applicable. The number one reason for failure in beermaking is infection (stuff growing where it shouldn't be).

Old 02-21-2012, 09:57 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,065,233 times
Geeze, and here I thought the alcohol in anything would kill the bacteria part.

I would like to goof with this, but I can't drink beer like I used to. Still think it would be a fun hobby.

Old 02-21-2012, 12:09 PM

32,850 posts, read 60,973,754 times
Mmmmmmm ... beer ...

It would be great if the bottles and keg weren't plastic. Yuck.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:53 PM

My view of it is that it's a cost effective way to see if you'd like home brewing. A few years ago I went the other route-spent $250+ for all the bottles, containers, etc., made two batches (the first one was excellent, the second one skunky) and haven't used the stuff since. It's about to go on cl for sale. If I drank beer more than once a week I might be inclined to buy one of these and find better mixes for it.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Geeze, and here I thought the alcohol in anything would kill the bacteria part.

I would like to goof with this, but I can't drink beer like I used to. Still think it would be a fun hobby.
The problem is that the alcohol is produced at the end of the brewing process, when the damage has already been done.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:13 PM

22,184 posts, read 12,095,322 times
I used to make beer in 5 gallon batches.
Was good stuff

First time I bottled it to early.
I capped the bottles after fermentation (so I thought) and put them in the basement.

1 day later all the bottles starting to explode in the basement!

Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,065,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrainman View Post

1 day later all the bottles starting to explode in the basement!
See, we don't have basements in Florida to hide that stuff in. It would be all over the garage in 100 degree weather with the neighbors wondering WTF?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff