Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2016, 09:05 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

LOL at both Ketabcha and Camper re eating when getting home from grocery shopping. I thought I was the only one who did that.

And, Camper, I find myself also on the verge of hermitdom, especially in the summer heat.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:51 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
I guess it's because when we were kids there were 4 of us and we always had to ration out the goodies. I'm talking spiting a cookie 4 ways. Anyone familiar with growing up a military family knows what I mean. I never realized how much we didn't have until I grew up.

I'm still that way today. Hubby gets so mad at me becasue I am not big on delayed gratification. I want it all and I want it NOW!!! This is why I don't even buy junk food anymore... much anyway.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:23 AM

Wow, Camper, we had the same upbringing. My family wasnt military but my dad did work for the VA after getting out of the army (twice -- once for WW2 and once for Korea).

I think most people from my generation (the first of the baby boomers) never realized how little they had until they grew up. But, then, "having little" was a way of life for almost everyone back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
..I want it all and I want it NOW!!! ...
I love it!!!

Old 08-26-2016, 11:06 AM

Arghhh…this has not been my week for Amazon deliveries.

First, UPS delivered a box of Alka-Seltzer chewable antacids (3 bottles) to the wrong address the day before yesterday. (Thank goodness for Amazon’s excellent customer service – they sent out a replacement order without questioning anything. Of course, the fact that I place 30-40 orders per month probably helps.)

Then yesterday my order of 3 cases (24 cans per case) canned pet food arrived from Amazon. The USPS gal put the box on my doorstep but told me that there seemed to be a lot of ants in and on the box. Sure enough – there were hundreds of ants on the outside of the box. I tried to refuse delivery but she told me, rightfully so, that she couldn’t bring that box back into her truck. So I opened the box on the doorstep (thank goodness I didn’t bring it inside to do that) and, OMG, there were thousands (no exaggeration) of ants inside! Fortunately, I have a lot of containers of ant killer powder – and I had to use 2 entire 18-oz containersful to kill/disable the ants.

When I finally got to the 3rd case, I saw the problem: 3 cans were so badly dented that they had leaked out and the ants were attracted to that. There were as many ants inside the plastic wrapping around each case as there were just running loose inside the box. I wasnt able to salvage any of the cases and had to throw them all into the trash bin, getting bitten many times in the process. It was truly disgusting. And now I have to hose out the trash bin and use even more ant killer powder there after garbage pickup on Monday.

I did contact Amazon about that because it’s obvious that the problem lay in Amazon’s Shipping Department. The cans had gotten badly dented prior to shipping and someone in the warehouse just boxed the cases up and sent them out, even with ants inside. (Does Amazon use robots to box merchandise now?) Admittedly, I buy a lot from Amazon since my stroke 10 years ago but I’ve had to report Shipping Department problems at least 30-40 times. I usually get three months added to my Amazon Prime membership and, if the problem is bad enough like this was, I get a refund. But nothing is ever done to correct the Shipping Department problems.

And today my usual dog food order (Natural Balance canned dog food) arrived -- it was so bad (poor consistency, poor color, terrible smell – Lulu wouldn’t even eat it and she’ll eat anything) that after opening 3 cans, I threw the entire case out. (I’ve read that Del Monte bought Natural Balance out after Dick Van Patten’s death and that it’s been cheaping out on the ingredients.) I didnt contact Amazon about that because I’ve read that too many reported problems will cause Amazon to refuse to do business with someone.

If it’s true that bad things come in 3s, then at least I’ve had my 3 Amazon shipping problems for the week.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:41 AM

In Post #1556, I posted photos of Lulu's terrible oral warts before treatment with azithromycin and then a few weeks after treatment began. I couldnt get photos of the inside of her mouth -- too bad, as you'd have been shocked at the large lesions that covered the roof of her mouth and the underside of her tongue.

Here's a photo that I took today of the warts. Actually, I should say "wart", as she has only the remnants of one wart left. You wouldnt even know it's there if you werent aware of how bad her lips/mouth were just a few weeks ago.

The remnant is on her upper lip, right above/between the parts of her tongue. If you didnt know better, you'd think it was just a small old-age wart.

It may look like she has warts on her lower lip/chin area but that's just saliva. Someone filed down all her front teeth even with her gum line so she drools quite a bit.

Even though azithromycin is supposed to be effective for only oral warts, the 30-40 warts/lesions on Lulu's abdomen have all gone away too. In Post #1550, I posted a photo of what the largest lesion on her abdomen looked like before I began the azithromycin treatment.

I've done a lot of reading about CPV over the past few months. It's similar to Human Papilloma Virus, especially in the way the warts/lesions look. I wonder if azithromycin has ever been used to treat the warts/lesions on people who have HPV.
Attached Thumbnails
Freebie chat part 3-lulus-warts-08-26-2016.jpg  

Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Arghhh…this has not been my week for Amazon deliveries.

First, UPS delivered a box of Alka-Seltzer chewable antacids (3 bottles) to the wrong address the day before yesterday. (Thank goodness for Amazon’s excellent customer service – they sent out a replacement order without questioning anything. Of course, the fact that I place 30-40 orders per month probably helps.)

Then yesterday my order of 3 cases (24 cans per case) canned pet food arrived from Amazon. The USPS gal put the box on my doorstep but told me that there seemed to be a lot of ants in and on the box. Sure enough – there were hundreds of ants on the outside of the box. I tried to refuse delivery but she told me, rightfully so, that she couldn’t bring that box back into her truck. So I opened the box on the doorstep (thank goodness I didn’t bring it inside to do that) and, OMG, there were thousands (no exaggeration) of ants inside! Fortunately, I have a lot of containers of ant killer powder – and I had to use 2 entire 18-oz containersful to kill/disable the ants.

When I finally got to the 3rd case, I saw the problem: 3 cans were so badly dented that they had leaked out and the ants were attracted to that. There were as many ants inside the plastic wrapping around each case as there were just running loose inside the box. I wasnt able to salvage any of the cases and had to throw them all into the trash bin, getting bitten many times in the process. It was truly disgusting. And now I have to hose out the trash bin and use even more ant killer powder there after garbage pickup on Monday.

I did contact Amazon about that because it’s obvious that the problem lay in Amazon’s Shipping Department. The cans had gotten badly dented prior to shipping and someone in the warehouse just boxed the cases up and sent them out, even with ants inside. (Does Amazon use robots to box merchandise now?) Admittedly, I buy a lot from Amazon since my stroke 10 years ago but I’ve had to report Shipping Department problems at least 30-40 times. I usually get three months added to my Amazon Prime membership and, if the problem is bad enough like this was, I get a refund. But nothing is ever done to correct the Shipping Department problems.

And today my usual dog food order (Natural Balance canned dog food) arrived -- it was so bad (poor consistency, poor color, terrible smell – Lulu wouldn’t even eat it and she’ll eat anything) that after opening 3 cans, I threw the entire case out. (I’ve read that Del Monte bought Natural Balance out after Dick Van Patten’s death and that it’s been cheaping out on the ingredients.) I didnt contact Amazon about that because I’ve read that too many reported problems will cause Amazon to refuse to do business with someone.

If it’s true that bad things come in 3s, then at least I’ve had my 3 Amazon shipping problems for the week.

WOW!!! I guess I've been lucky with Amazon. I don't think I've ever had a bad delivery and I get something almost every other day since I'v been doing reviews for them. I thin I've had around 150 delivery's in the past 6 months alone but to be honest I don't do food stuff. I have a terrific driver and he never would have brought the case with ants to my front door. They aren't allowed in the house but when I have something heavy he will slide in int the doorway as far as he can reach without actually coming in. I hope Amazon does right by your, your a good customer.

Old 08-26-2016, 01:45 PM

Quote:
WOW!!! I guess I've been lucky with Amazon. I don't think I've ever had a bad delivery and I get something almost every other day since I'v been doing reviews for them. I thin I've had around 150 delivery's in the past 6 months alone but to be honest I don't do food stuff. I have a terrific driver and he never would have brought the case with ants to my front door. They aren't allowed in the house but when I have something heavy he will slide in int the doorway as far as he can reach without actually coming in. I hope Amazon does right by your, your a good customer.
It never fails!! Got a delivery today that was leaking!! Not bad enough to return but still damaged. I think I'll jut go review their packaging!!

Old 08-26-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
It never fails!! Got a delivery today that was leaking!! Not bad enough to return but still damaged. I think I'll jut go review their packaging!!

LOL. Not really funny -- but you're right...it never fails that something happens right after you've said it doesnt.

Good luck with reviewing the packaging. I dont think anyone reads those reviews. I've even posted photos but nothing ever happened -- no comments, no improvement, no nothing.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:10 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
ACK @ the ant situation - I've never gotten pet food from there (well, I did, when I had some extra bucks send food to a local pet rescue place, never heard that there was an issue, hope not). Camper, I would certainly contact Amazon about it rather than just "review" - they need to know there is an issue!

I picked up my test results from last week (that was 2 weeks of restricting fluid and eating more salt) - numbers for most things were better - I'll get this weeks results next week (that will be 3 weeks).

Had a meeting today w/the architect and City guy (the loan for much-needed work here) - to pick a contractor. Work may start around end of Sept. Received a jury duty summons (oh joy), received notice that Medicare takes effect Dec. (because of disability) - now have to figure out what to do as everything that I've seen so far will cost more than I pay now - otherwise! Going to a get together tomorrow with "family" (late husbands relatives) - looking forward to seeing them

Old 08-26-2016, 02:59 PM

Most of what I buy from Amazon is *not* food stuff. I do buy canned pet food and flavored coffee. But most of what I buy are staples: paper napkins, toilet paper, arthritis meds, Aleve, gifts, cards, cleaning products, etc.

The people in the warehouses use one strip of cheap packing tape to seal the boxes -- and often they dont apply the tape correctly to the edges of the box. So the tape doesnt seal the box at all. When FedEx was delivering for Amazon, the FedEx guys used to add their own tape to the boxes -- but, now that Amazon uses USPS almost exclusively, no one does anything to seal the boxes (not that I expect them to do so). Many of the boxes arrive totally opened and I can see that the tape is at fault (or, more accurately, whoever applied the tape is at fault, because it wasnt applied properly).

And I've learned not to buy breakables from Amazon because, too often, they're not packaged securely. Wheels break off and glassware breaks, etc, in transit.

And forget shampoos or rubbing alcohol or any other liquids. I used to buy 150-oz liquid laundry detergent until the containers arrived -- three different times (yes, I'm a slow learner) -- with the contents leakign out so badly that the boxes were destroyed in transit. And, in some cases, there were other items in the boxes and they were damaged beyond repair by the leaking contents.

I dont expect perfection. I know everyone makes mistakes from time to time. But Amazon's Shipping Department (and I realize that there are multiple shipping departments in various cities) makes mistakes too much of the time. Thank goodness for the excellent Customer Service people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff