Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2016, 09:24 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,426,125 times

Advertisements

I really like being able to watch TV and jog underneath a ceiling fan in an air-conditioned house. I've been able to increase my jogging-in-place time to 4 minutes, 3 times a day. I've also started doing a few exercises in place while watching TV. Jogging in place gives me the motivation to refrain from eating so much junk food so it helps me in two ways.

I loved jogging in place when I was doing it years ago. Back then I worked up to 30 minutes at a time, twice a day. I did it while watching TV at night and at lunchtime during the day -- I'd close my office door and read a book while jogging around my office. I wasnt able to pump my arms like I did/do while watching TV but it was still very effective.

I got so healthy back then and was off all meds. That's pretty much what I'm aiming for now.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:34 AM

Wow, no posts in over 3 weeks. Hope everyone is doing ok and had a nice Halloween.

I had what I thought was a nice act of kindness turn on me -- sort of. A few weeks ago I was in line at my local grocery store and the lady behind me commented that the 6 boxes of frozen crawfish etouffee I'd bought looked good. I told her that they're delicious and explained what other kinds of etouffee not to buy and why.

A few minutes later, as I was loading up my car outside, I saw her heading for her car. I hurried over to her and gave her 2 boxes to try for free. She was very grateful and I thought that was that. But every time I've gone grocery shopping since then, all the crawfish etouffees have been gone. I was the only one buying them before that, but now apparently there's at least one other person -- and I think it must be her -- buying them all up.

Oh well, it saves me money and eliminates all that salt from my diet. And maybe she'll get tired of them and leave some for me in the future.

Old 11-01-2016, 02:56 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
LOL - TFW, you created a monster - I've never had crawfish or etoufee, let alone that dish. I'll have to google it to see if it might be something I would like (I'm a bit of a picky eater). I've shared recipes w/folks and had them start to make it for all the future gatherings....

I haven't gotten any freebies for quite a while now (other than the mags. which I love!) Just been dealing w/Dr. appts. and contractor issues. Prepping for my foot surgery next Wed. (I'm a wimp and NOT wanting to do it but I have to) - I'll be house-bound for prob. 4 weeks as it's my right foot so not allowed to drive - a friend will take me for the surgery and then the following week for a check, then again the following week (she actually lives close to the Dr. but has to come get me, take me that way, bring me back. We/I always spent the holidays w/her brother and all the family - hoping she'll offer to come pick me up for Thanksgiving but I don't want to ask so I'll see what's happening for T-Day.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Old 11-01-2016, 03:25 PM

Flamingo, homemade crawfish etouffee is beyond delicious. The Cajuns I used to know would add shrimp and all kinds of fish/shellfish to it, as well. And the spices -- OMG. The concoction is poured over steamed rice and we'd eat on it for days.

Below is what I buy at the grocery store. The rice has already been added to it and it's very tasty. (But dont get shrimp etouffee -- it's too watery.)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Richard-3...11-Oz/10849448

Old 11-01-2016, 04:21 PM

Flamingo, I forgot to tell you that I'll be sending positive vibes and prayers your way next week and for the recovery weeks thereafter. So glad that you have someone to drive you to your doc appoinments. I think you also mentioned that you stocked up on canned food -- but four weeks is a long time to go without fresh food so I hope your friend can help you out there too.

And I'll also be praying that your contractors dont give you any trouble while you're recovering.

Old 11-01-2016, 06:13 PM

Thank you TFW - hugs to you. I would want to see the ingredients, I like spicy but I'm picky about certain things: I don't like cilantro (a little in salsa I can handle but otherwise...), don't like tomato chunks (I love raw tomatoes, grow them, like them pureed, but no chunks, LOL) - I'm a texture food eater. Wonder if that brand is sold anywhere else? I do not go to Walmart, they aren't nice around here IMO (went to one near my mother's - another state, and it was fine).

I never had crawfish, is it like shrimp, crab, scallops? I like those, don't like fish though (told you I'm weird

I've told the contracting company that there is to be NO inside word next Wed.-Fri.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:36 PM

Crawfish look like small lobsters. I cant stand to look at them when they're boiled -- they give me the heebie-jeebies. But they're delicious, whether boiled or cooked. Crawfish boils are very popular in this area.

According to the ingredients list on the page I linked, here are the ingredients of the crawfish etouffee: Precooked Long Grain Parboiled Rice: (Water, Rice [Ferric Orthophosphate [Iron], Niacin, Thiamine, Mononitrate, Folic Acid]). Crawfish Etouffee: Water, Crawfish, Tomato Sauce (Tomato Puree [Water, Tomato Paste], Salt, Citric Acid, Spices, Natural Flavors).

I do my grocery shopping at a Walmart Grocery Store (nothing but groceries and prescriptions) so I dont know if this brand is sold elsewhere.

Will you have access to a computer or cell phone so you can post? Since I have only a desktop computer, I couldnt get to the computer at all for the first few months after my foot surgery. I slept almost 24/7 so I didnt miss it too much -- but, as my recovery progressed, I was glad to have the wheelchair so I could wheel myself into the computer room.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:07 AM

I'll be home here so I'll have access to my desktop, depending on how I'm feeling.

(Don't you love when the ingredients are "spices" - LOL)

Old 11-03-2016, 12:06 AM

Please keep us updated as often as you can. And, if you're not up to it, please have your friend post for you. We care!

Old 11-06-2016, 06:57 AM

Whew! Lulu always wakes me up at 5:00 AM to be let out into the back yard. This morning she woke me up at 4:00 AM. I've got to figure out a way to get her to set her clock back.

But at least I was able to get my poop-picking-up done sooner this morning. That's always a Sunday job because trash pickup is on Monday. I'm so tempted to hire a service to do that job. It seems extravagant to pay someone to do such a simple job, yukky as it is, but it seems less so when I'm doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff