Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

We have light jackets, Flamingo, and some people probably have coats. But it's the ice that's so dangerous. The news said there were 400+ accidents today even though the streets have been mostly empty. People dont know what to do when they hit a patch of ice -- they slam on the brakes and then go skidding into other cars.

That's the main reason I stayed inside today. I meant to go to the grocery store a couple of days ago but I read how people were jamming the stores just like they do when a hurricane is coming so I waited, thinking I could get out this morning before the bad weather started. But then my neighbor, who parks in my driveway overnight, didnt go to work today (almost all the businesses were closed) so I couldnt get out of the garage.

They have a single driveway and dont use their garage for cars, so they can park only 2 cars in the driveway. They have 3 cars so I let them use my driveway at night. I hope she goes to work tomorrow. I'm out of people food -- Lulu has enough food to last for 3-4 weeks so I may resort to chowing down on Alpo if I cant get to the grocery store soon.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:50 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Yikes, TFW. I know y'all are not used to that weather. Heck, we're not used to it in the Metroplex. I learned to drive in Kansas but I don't go out on icy days because few of the other drivers know how to deal with icy skids.

If it is still icy tomorrow I suggest you let your fingers do the walking and order meals from restaurants that deliver them. That's what my mother would do in west Texas when the weather was bad. I even did that myself today. I usually have a huge stock of food but it has dwindled down since I've been sick. So, I called for Chinese food. I like the restaurant and they deliver. You could order a pizza or sandwich + salad from a pizza joint to be delivered.

The only time I run into trouble doing that is if I am out of milk. I drink a lot of milk and I don't know of any place that delivers it.

Be careful if you are going to drive.

Old 01-16-2018, 08:06 PM

I agree, Ketabcha, and I tried to order from Pizza Hut and Domino's today. Neither place was accepting orders for delivery. I also tried using DoorDash (a food delivery service) but it had no drivers.

And tomorrow is supposed to be worse than today -- at least through the afternoon. All area schools have already announced that there will be no school tomorrow. The city has already said that buses wont be running (same as today) and all government offices will again be closed. So will the banks -- they were closed today too, although I thought it was a federal law that banks cant be closed two successive days.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:59 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Instacart! I've heard the first delivery is free. You can check to see if it's available in your area here:

https://www.instacart.com/locations?...2bac9ac81fd78c

Old 01-17-2018, 01:44 PM

Thanks, MPowering! Looks like Instacart is in my area. But there are no restaurants open, not even fast-food places. They all closed yesterday and are still closed, at least until late this afternoon. A grocery store a few blocks away is now open so I'm going to drive there, very slowly, and pick up a few things.

I've bookmarked Instacart for future use. Thanks again!!

Old 01-17-2018, 01:50 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I know it won't help now - but always a good idea to have a stock of things that you use in "emergencies" only: soups, things in the freezer, pasta, granola bars, cereal, peanut butter, etc. (I freeze some extra milk for those "just in case" times - it gets watery but I strain it after defrosting through a coffee filter in a funnel and it's fine in a pinch). You never know when there might be some reason for not getting out: illness, weather, some kind of disaster...

Old 01-17-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I know it won't help now - but always a good idea to have a stock of things that you use in "emergencies" only: soups, things in the freezer, pasta, granola bars, cereal, peanut butter, etc. (I freeze some extra milk for those "just in case" times - it gets watery but I strain it after defrosting through a coffee filter in a funnel and it's fine in a pinch). You never know when there might be some reason for not getting out: illness, weather, some kind of disaster...

I agree and I always used to do that. But, with my need for foot surgery, I cant get out to the store as often as I'd like -- and, when I can get out, I can stand only long enough to buy a few things. I've bought staples like soup, peanut butter, pasta, etc from Amazon but have used those up during times (days or weeks) when I couldnt drive or walk.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:43 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I understand and I'm sorry - (it helps that I have a basement and can store things - I have a little grocery store down there) - I can't even imagine what I'd do if I lived in a house w/o a basement (and most houses in the South don't have one). I hope it all works out okay for you! Sounds like you made it back home!! YAY! Stay warm.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:16 PM

Thanks, Flamingo. I'd rather have this cold, despite all the issues, than the 100 degree temps for weeks on end in the summer.

Old 01-17-2018, 06:26 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
I am bit of a pseudo-prepper. I really think this comes from the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis. We had basements on base and the Air Force told us to stock up on water, medical supplies and various food stuffs. I was 15 years old and very aware of what could happen since Dad was a bomber pilot. As a result of that I try to keep stocked up (beyond reason) on what I might need. My father was big on paper products. ahahaha. Tissues, TP, etc. You name it, we had a lot of it. In fact one time my mother told us that our inheritance would probably be paper products.

What I am getting around to, TFW, is that I also have a lot of freeze dried food. I buy only Mountain House brand products and boy are they good. Seriously good. The flavor is always top drawer and the ingredients are excellent. You might want to think about some freeze-dried stuff. You can just box up the packages, mark the boxes and stuff it all in the garage. Even their egg dishes are good and I'm a stickler when it comes to eggs. I'm an egg snob. You can order from Mountain House or from Amazon. Amazon is a little more expensive but not a lot more. I'm an Amazon junkie. I order from both places. The freeze dried food is one of my safety nets....just in case. The only thing that will get me out of the house on icy days is milk. Gotta' have milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff