Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2018, 03:09 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times

Advertisements

I hope you all are doing okay w/the hot weather out West/Southwest!

I know it's not freebie related but I'm so upset right now - friends in the neighborhood reported in our local group that someone approached their 11 yr. old daughter who was out on the sidewalk in front of the house and asked her if her parents were home... she screamed and ran inside (thank goodness!) - upon more investigation by the parents they found the man is a registered violent sex offender!!! This USED to be a super safe neighborhood but not far away is a low-income housing area and many of those folks have taken to parking in our neighborhood - this guy had done such so that's how he was able to be traced. We've tried to get parking restrictions because of this issue (they keep turning us down) - BUT - to make matters worse the school district has decided (w/o input) that ALL the kids need to start walking to school (no buses) - because it's just a little over a mile. There are two ways to do this: in front of this complexes parking lot and then cross a very busy street, or take a path through woods which doesn't have a sidewalk and is known for drug activity.... I am beyond angry (and I don't have kids!). Sorry this post is so long but I needed to vent (and I cried when I heard the outcome of the person who approached her).

Old 07-29-2018, 10:28 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
So sorry about the danger to kids having to walk near places where sex offenders live, Flamingo. I hope a solution can be found soon.

Old 07-30-2018, 02:23 PM

Thanks TFW - apparently he continues to park his car right across from their house and then walks blocks away to where his registered address is - the neighborhood is once again going to try to get parking permits for residents but it's been tried several times before and the City keeps turning it down. Maybe this will change things. Understandably, many parents are worried about their children having to walk to school the coming school yr. and the way to get there passes in front of this complex.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:46 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
I know how I would take care of that problem . Here is what you do you walk outside with a Louisville slugger baseball bat and let this creep see it . I bet you in no time that creep wont be a problem anymore . I heard about some lady who always carried one with her and one day this creep sex offender was sitting by a school and calling the girls over to his car window well when this woman saw that she dented his car door and his roof and his hood and to where he could not get out of the car . Funny they never saw this guy again .

Old 07-30-2018, 03:48 PM

Love it!!

Old 08-09-2018, 07:28 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times
Stop the presses! It rained here today. I could hear the lawn, bushes and trees giggling for 30 minutes. I was also giggling. We had not seen any rain in several weeks.

Old 08-09-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Stop the presses! It rained here today. I could hear the lawn, bushes and trees giggling for 30 minutes. I was also giggling. We had not seen any rain in several weeks.

What's this rain of which you write?

Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
What's this rain of which you write?

Rain is sneaky. It says it will "drop by" and then it doesn't. It's blatant in its lies to the forecaster. However, like the prodigal son, it is celebrated when it does show up. We are at its mercy.

Beware of it because it can break your heart or fill you with joy.

As my favorite poet wrote:

"Tears, idle tears
I know not what they mean.
Tears from the depth of some divine despair
Rise in the heart and gather to the eyes........"

And then it rains.

Uh oh. I think I'm in a maudlin mood today. Doesn't happen often but when it does I start reciting poetry.

I fear "The Children's Hour" is about to spill forth followed by "O Captain! My Captain!"

Those are my favorites.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:07 PM

What's really sneaky is weather.com's predictions. For example, it has said I should expect at least 70% chance of rain in my area code every single day this week. Then, minutes before the expected rain is due, the chances drop to 10%. Today, the chance of rain at noon was 80% -- then, at 11:45 AM the chance of rain dropped to 10%.

I dont know about other local area codes. I hear thunder sometimes and, of course, Lulu can hear distant thunder as far away as Dallas.

When I'm in a maudlin mood, I eat hot wings.

Old 08-10-2018, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
What's really sneaky is weather.com's predictions. For example, it has said I should expect at least 70% chance of rain in my area code every single day this week. Then, minutes before the expected rain is due, the chances drop to 10%. Today, the chance of rain at noon was 80% -- then, at 11:45 AM the chance of rain dropped to 10%.

I dont know about other local area codes. I hear thunder sometimes and, of course, Lulu can hear distant thunder as far away as Dallas.

When I'm in a maudlin mood, I eat hot wings.

Hot wings?

It's raining here again, TFW. I hope it spreads to your area. I also hope California gets some rain....lots of widespread rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff