Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2018, 01:05 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times

Advertisements

Wow, Flamingo! Good thing you checked your credit card statement. I'm guilty of never checking mine but will certainly do so from now on.

Hope your prescription is working to alleviate the peeling/redness on your hands.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:36 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Thanks for asking about the hand "stuff" - it's "kinda/sorta" better, LOL - it's now been long enough on the reg. thyroid med. that if was that it might be cleared up? I have no idea how long these things take. On the other hand (LMAO - hands - it's still here - not quite as itchy in the middle of the night (but I'm using the petroleum jelly and gloves) - as it was - but now I'm thinking it's eczema - I know people have lots worse issues in their life but it's affecting me in that just trying to use the broom today for a little while to brush off dead leaves - it's painful.

On a fun note: I have various things out for the birds to get water/take baths. One thing is this divided snack bowl thing that had been on clearance at the grocery store (and they LOVE it ) - one small bird was checking it out, another came but I guess there is a heirarchy or something? The new one kept trying but finally went down below and tried to take a bath on the little bit of water on the deck flooring under... hoping they all get baths! LOL

Old 10-04-2018, 02:55 PM

Yes, some birds can be bullies. I used to have lots of birdbaths and bird feeders in my back yard and would sit at my window watching the birds interact. Eventually I got rid of all the baths and feeders, as the birds would poop all over my paver patio and teak furniture. Since I had a lot of birdbaths and feeders, I had a lot of birds and that meant a lot of bird poop. Too, my next door neighbor complained, more than once, that all the birds attracted to my yard were coming over to his yard and pooping on his outdoor furniture.

Glad your hand is doing somewhat better. Sometimes "better" is all we can hope for.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:30 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
LOL - it's your fault that your neighbor had bird poop?

Sadly, two people in my community group said they thought firing was harsh for an honest mistake!!! Seriously? someone changes the tip amount by adding a 1 in front of it and they think it's an honest mistake? Shaking my head.

I had/have no control over the girl's firing - the mgr. wasn't gossiping but did let on that once he saw who it was.... and then making conversation said they try to get good people, etc. but it can be hard.

Old 10-04-2018, 03:42 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Beware the grackles.

I rarely drive to downtown Dallas these days but when I do I take an umbrella with me even if there is no cloud in the sky. Downtown Dallas is nicely landscaped with trees next to the sidewalks. Grackles live in those trees and they are mean. Really mean. They dive bomb pedestrians. It's dangerous. Thus, I always make sure to have an umbrella with me to keep those birds off my head.

They are also very, very loud but that never bothered me. It's the blows to the head that are dangerous.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:06 PM

Flamingo, that girl was stealing, which is a serious crime. Maybe it was only $10.00 in your case but $10.00 from a lot of customers adds up. I suspect she's done this before and the manager just let her get away with it once or twice. I hate to see anyone deprived of a job but she wouldnt have stopped stealing -- and she could have been arrested.

And, Ketabcha, you're right about grackles. Mockingbirds are prevalent in my neighborhood and, in April and May (when they're nesting) they can be the most aggressive of all. I'll never forget how one mockingbird chased Queenie into my house and then kept dive-bombing me. I finally had to call someone to come get the bird out of the house.

I've been without a car for two days and it will be another day before I get it back. I noticed a very large (2 feet by 1 foot) oil leak under the back of my car last week. I wouldnt usually see a leak because my car is always in the garage, but I happened to notice it when I was in the driveway waiting for the garage door to finish opening. I knew, right away, that it was a rear main seal leak, which can be serious.

When I inspected the garage floor I also saw signs of other oil leaks too. So I didnt drive it anywhere except to the car repair shop yesterday morning. $1,200.00 estimate -- but I havent had to spend any money on it except for regular oil changes for years. And I know to expect maintenance issues with a 21-year-old car, even if it does have only 100,000 miles.

And, as a bonus, they finally found the source of the air-conditioning coolant leak that they've been unable to find for 2.5 years. It's been hard driving with no a-c all that time and I thought about going to a different repair shop -- but this one is close to my house and I know they're honest. They also drive me home and pick me up.

The a-c leak repair will cost about $300.00. So the total cost will be at least $1,500.00, more than 1/2 the Blue Book value of the car. But where can I find a reliable vehicle for that amount? They did a 100,000 mile checkup and said it's in good shape after the repairs are made.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:50 PM

Wise decision on the car, TFW. IMO, there is no reason to replace it now that it will be fixed. I don't know how you managed to drive around in that humidity with no AC. I guess we do what we have to do. The AC went out in my 14 year old Honda a year or so ago. The dealership had it for 3 days. Now, this is the dealership where I bought the car brand new and they dragged their feet on the repair. They had to order a part from California. None of the auto garages in the area could fix it. I still don't understand that but it was something about state law prohibiting anyone but a Honda dealer from fixing the AC. I love my car. No way would I replace it unless forced to do so. The AC was the only problem I had with it for the first 14 years of its life. I think the car paid for itself a decade or so ago. When it comes to car problems I am clueless.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Ketabcha, I'm fairly clueless about many car problems too. 30 years ago my daughter and I took an auto maintenance/repair class that was 3 months long (4 hours one night a week) and we learned a lot. But so much has changed since then. Thank goodness for google. It's helped me a lot over the years.

I understand, totally, loving your car. Surprising that only Honda dealers can work on Honda a-c. Maybe it has something to do with the strict California laws about coolant.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Ketabcha, I'm fairly clueless about many car problems too. 30 years ago my daughter and I took an auto maintenance/repair class that was 3 months long (4 hours one night a week) and we learned a lot. But so much has changed since then. Thank goodness for google. It's helped me a lot over the years.

I understand, totally, loving your car. Surprising that only Honda dealers can work on Honda a-c. Maybe it has something to do with the strict California laws about coolant.

I took driver's ed in Kansas. It was an actual high school course. We had to learn all about the engine and how it worked. All I remember is "Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust." During my driving test at the end of the class my teacher said to me "I need a drink after that." AHAHAHAHAHA. I passed but it was a harrowing experience for him.

I think you might be right about the Cali coolant laws. I'm going to research this and I will report back.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:44 PM

Please do report back, Ketabcha. I'm interested in hearing what you find.

The course that my daughter and I took was through Continuing Education. It was held in a large auto garage and we each worked on our own cars. I changed my tires, battery, oil, brakes, fuel filter, timing chain/belt, spark plugs and many other parts. After that course, I didnt have to take my car in for any maintenance for years, as I was able to do it all myself. There was a repair shop closeby where you could pay for time and then do your own work, using their tools -- that's where I did most of my maintenance work, especially stuff that required me to be under the car (I never felt safe using a jack so I liked being under a lift, like they used in auto shops).

I wish that course were still offered today. Even if I werent able to do the work myself, it would be nice to know about today's cars and my own car in particular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff