Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2018, 02:33 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times

Advertisements

Well, Flamingo, I've always figured it's better for the kids to have all that extra sugar than for me to be left with it. As the night wore on, I gave the kids more and more candy. I've always tried to buy candy that I dont care for because I have no will power for whatever is left over. Before my stroke, I used to love chocolate -- now I dont care for it at all (one good thing about the stroke).

When I was young (back when dinosaurs roamed the earth), my favorite "candy" was homemade popcorn balls. Those never made it home with me -- I'd eat them while I was still trick-or-treating. What a shame it is that kids nowadays will never know how good homemade trick-or-treats are.

My suggestion is to get a few dollars' worth of nickels and pass that out. Kids may enjoy candy but they love money.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:31 AM

Wow, it's been raining for 24 hours straight here. Not a hard rain and no thunder -- but a gentle, soothing rain. (I think we're getting the remnants of Hurricane Willa in Mexico.) I love the rain but, of course, Lulu, being a doberman, wont go out in any wetness at all. So she hasnt peed or pooped in 24 hours. She's a very intelligent dog but she has a short memory. She'll whine to be let out and then see the rain so wont go out. Then, 5 minutes later, she whines to go out again, sees it's still raining and wont go out. Eventually, if it doesnt stop raining, she'll force herself to run out, relieve herself and then run back in.

I loved living in wet West Seattle back in the mid-1970s. It rained every day from April through October. I'd walk to the bus stop in the rain and my kids would go out and ride their bikes in it. Here we have extended droughts and I miss the rain so much.

Old 10-25-2018, 01:29 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I was wondering how you were doing w/the rain TFW... hopefully you can get Lulu out, that's not healthy for her to hold it in! (if that's an ongoing thing, would those dog pee pads help?)

Apparently we're going to get some rain from the outer bands tomorrow afternoon/overnight/Sat. morning - but it got COLD here - I used to love the cold but there hasn't been a chance to ease into it this year - no pretty leaves, etc. like it should be in the fall.

Some (many?) of you may be aware of what to do when the Maintenance Required light comes on and stays on in your car - mine popped on when I was on my way back home from WV/OH/MD/PA..... exhausting. Anyway, of course I was in the middle of nowhere on the highway and it scared me - a nice trucker checked out the car a bit and said he didn't think it was anything. I googled when I got back home and found out how to get the light off (turn key to on/go to Trip A/turn key off then turn back to On while holding the trip button in until it flashes all zeros - AND: the light goes off (at least this is for a Toyota, not sure if it's all makes)

Old 10-25-2018, 02:09 PM

Thanks, Flamingo. Luckily, the rain stopped this afternoon and Lulu is now outside sunning herself. I'd use pee pads for a smaller dog but Lulu is a large doberman and weighs 90 pounds. This is the first time, in the almost-3 years that she's been here, that it's rained this long. My area is normally a drought-magnet.

I wonder if you'll get 30 hours straight of nice, gentle rain like I did. Let us know, ok?

The Maintenance Required light is a reminder to check things like your oil, coolant, fuel filter, air filter and tire rotation. It's designed to come on every so many miles -- 3,000 or 5,000, etc. My last car, a 1987 Chevrolet mini-Blazer, had that feature and, had I not read the manual ahead of time, it would have scared me when it came on. Thank goodness my 21-year-old Jeep doesnt have that feature.

Old 10-25-2018, 02:51 PM

Glad she got to go out! (I actually don't know anything about pee pads, I've just heard of them) - my Germ. Shep. would go out in any kind of weather.

My car is a '10 but all my other cars were older (I keep a car 20 yrs. if I can!) - so they didn't have such lights. Now I know

Old 10-25-2018, 03:25 PM

Pee pads are thin like panty-liners and square-shaped. I dont know how large they are but they're designed for small dogs and puppies. A large dog's urine would probably soak right through them. And I'm not crazy about teaching a dog that she can go potty inside the house, even if there is a designated place for it. If I were working and had a puppy, it would be different. The last time I had a puppy, though, was 1984 and I had doggie doors then. In fact, I had doggie doors for 30+ years. I got rid of them when I remodeled my house 11 years ago but, since I'm retired, I dont miss them as much as I thought I would.

I dont know if I ever told youall about my experience with doggie-doors and rain. Back in the late 1980s, I came home from work several times to find a big puddle of pee right inside the doggie door. I was shocked because all my dobermans were housebroken and never had accidents in the house. Then, one Saturday, I was home and it was raining. I watched as my obedience-award-winning doberman stuck his head out the doggie door while his business end peed on the floor. Apparently he figured that, as long as his head was outside, he was ok. I couldnt help but laugh back then and I still laugh when remembering it today.

I was shocked that my 1987 mini-Blazer had that Maintenance Required light. I hate nagging stuff like that.

The weather is supposed to be dry for the next week -- warmer than it has been lately but not as warm as it would normally be at this time of year. I wonder how Ketabcha is doing. She's only 200 miles north of me but her area gets a lot more rain and cold than my area does. And Camper is about 200 miles west of me and also gets a lot more rain than I do.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:34 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
The sun is out!! Haven't seen a drop of rain all day!!

Did I tell you guys the hogs are back with a vengeance?1!!! They have plowed up almost most of my front yard and got the lot across the street!! Ugh. With the rain comes the hogs I guess. Maybe they won't stay long.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:47 PM

Oh no, Camper! A subdivision a little west of me has a lot of trouble with wild hogs eating/plowing up everyone's yards. And they're mean animals too. That subdivision doesnt do anything to get rid of them, as everyone just waits for them to leave -- but they always come back.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Pee pads are thin like panty-liners and square-shaped. I dont know how large they are but they're designed for small dogs and puppies. A large dog's urine would probably soak right through them. And I'm not crazy about teaching a dog that she can go potty inside the house, even if there is a designated place for it. If I were working and had a puppy, it would be different. The last time I had a puppy, though, was 1984 and I had doggie doors then. In fact, I had doggie doors for 30+ years. I got rid of them when I remodeled my house 11 years ago but, since I'm retired, I dont miss them as much as I thought I would.

I dont know if I ever told youall about my experience with doggie-doors and rain. Back in the late 1980s, I came home from work several times to find a big puddle of pee right inside the doggie door. I was shocked because all my dobermans were housebroken and never had accidents in the house. Then, one Saturday, I was home and it was raining. I watched as my obedience-award-winning doberman stuck his head out the doggie door while his business end peed on the floor. Apparently he figured that, as long as his head was outside, he was ok. I couldnt help but laugh back then and I still laugh when remembering it today.

I was shocked that my 1987 mini-Blazer had that Maintenance Required light. I hate nagging stuff like that.

The weather is supposed to be dry for the next week -- warmer than it has been lately but not as warm as it would normally be at this time of year. I wonder how Ketabcha is doing. She's only 200 miles north of me but her area gets a lot more rain and cold than my area does. And Camper is about 200 miles west of me and also gets a lot more rain than I do.
Made me laugh w/the "head was out so let loose" - LOL

Old 10-25-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Made me laugh w/the "head was out so let loose" - LOL

I couldnt get upset with him, as he really thought he was ok, especially since he did it right in front of me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff