Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2018, 05:32 PM

15,893 posts, read 18,213,222 times

Advertisements

TFW, do you belong to the "Nextdoor" network in your neighborhood? I recommend it.

It sounds like it is time to find another car repair shop. When I need something like that or a plumber, painter, electrician, etc. I log on to Nextdoor and ask for recommendations. It's is also nice to get notices if there is something shifty going on in our neighborhood.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:17 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,286,602 times
Yes, Ketancha, I do belong to nextdoor.com for my subdivision. I've seen recommendations for handymen, air-conditioning work and the like -- but I've never seen recommendations for auto repair shops. It never dawned on me to post that question. Thanks so much for the idea!!

Old 10-13-2018, 11:35 AM

Does anyone now where peachrose is? I noticed that she hasnt posted in a week. Hope she's ok and just taking a brief break. I appreciate how much time and effort it takes to look for and post all those freebies.

Old 10-16-2018, 02:41 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,892,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Does anyone now where peachrose is? I noticed that she hasnt posted in a week. Hope she's ok and just taking a brief break. I appreciate how much time and effort it takes to look for and post all those freebies.
You really take care of all of us TFW. It's so good when you notice someone is missing.

I'm so sorry about your repair shop. A good mechanic is almost as good as a husband.. I hope you can find someone you like and trust soon. I find our " Next door" to be very useful when looking for some help. It's also a great way to get rid of free stuff. Even thought we are still considered to be rural all I have to do is list it and within a few minutes it's gone.

Did you guys see the RV park in Llano where the four people went missing becasue of the flood? That's where we were almost a year ago when I broke my arm. I don't know whats gone wrong with our poor Texas but it seems like it's all under water lately.

Old 10-16-2018, 04:22 PM

I dont always notice when someone goes missing, Camper, but it's very obvious when peachrose is MIA because there are no freebie posts. That's not the only reason I noticed she was gone, but it's the most apparent one. I've been concerned that she might get tired of all the work that goes into finding and posting freebies -- and, without them, C-D might shut this forum down for lack of activity. MPowering1 does a wonderful job of posting the free Kindle downloads but we need all the freebie posts to keep this forum active. I'd so miss all of you if it got shut down.

Thanks for the sympathy about my car repair shop. I did post on nextdoor.com, asking for recommendations and have a couple of names to try out. I agree with you that nextdoor.com is a very handy tool. I read it every day and have gotten the names of handymen, etc -- I dont know why it never occurred to me to ask for the names of repair shops until Ketabcha suggested it.

Yes, I read about the Llano River area flooding. Both Llano county and Gillespie county are under Flash Flood watches until late tonight. That includes Fredericksburg, a very popular tourist area. I used to want to buy a small place by a lake or river but, with all the flooding in Texas, I dont think I'd feel safe doing that now.

I know I posted, early this year, about my internet browser problems. I'd been using Firefox for many, many years and was happy with it. Then I started having trouble after a Firefox update and had to switch to another browser. I selected Opera, which I also liked, after a short adjustment period. (At my age, it takes a while to get used to anything new.) Well, wouldnt you know...last week Opera had an update that somehow resulted in it becoming corrupted on my desktop. I spent 18 hours trying to either fix it or revert my computer back in time before the update -- but no luck. So I had to get rid of Opera and download Firefox again. Good news is that, sometime this year, Firefox fixed the issues I was having so it's working fine. Bad news is that I'm getting too old to keep changing browsers and having to learn how to use them again. I also have Google Chrome as a backup but I prefer Firefox or Opera for my everyday use.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:43 AM

15,893 posts, read 18,213,222 times
My den has flooded 3 times in the last 4 weeks. Way too much rain that comes down hard and fast. I've spotted the breach and have someone ready to do the job but it's too wet right now. We have rain storms predicted for at least another week.

In the scheme of things this is minor stuff. At least I have a house.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:20 AM

Oh no, Ketabcha! I'm so sorry! Hopefully, it's just a limited area and not the whole den -- and your furniture and drywall arent too badly affected.

Yes, it's minor stuff in the overall scheme of things and you're so right to look at it that way. You cant do much about the flooding until the rains stop, but at least you're keeping a positive attitude, which is much healthier.

Please keep us updated. I've been there and I empathize with your situation.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM

15,108 posts, read 27,555,479 times
I hope you Texas gals will not be affected too badly by the weather! Back from an exhausting trip to see my mother and TRY to get her organized, go through paperwork, etc. An update on my hand issue: after lots of peeling and deep cracks in my palms it seems to be easing up (although it's still between all my fingers and the itching is making me nuts!) - still not sure if it's that generic med. or eczema - giving it a little time yet. On another note, I thought I'd found a good deal on full-size candy bars on Amazon (figured make it easy to give out halloween candy) - turns out expected delivery is (11/1 - 11/14) - doesn't do me any good then If you all give out snack-size/bite-size candy, how many pieces do you usually give per child? I've always been curious as to what is "fair". Other than that, hope you all are doing well - trying to get used to the big temp. drop we're having - would have been nice to actually have autumn for a while, LOL.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:11 PM

I'm hoping that Ketabcha and Camper are doing ok. My immediate area, as usual, has gotten very little rain -- just occasional drizzles. In fact, I've had to water the rubber tree plants on my patio regularly because they're in danger of dying from drought.

Thanks for the update on your hand. Good news that it seems to be clearing up.

I dont get many trick-or-treaters these days. They all have Halloween parties and dont go out in my neighborhood. For the very few who do come to my house, I give 2-3 snack-sized candy bars to each one. I miss the good ole days when hundreds of kids would knock on my door -- so many that I'd always run out of candy and would have to give some kids nickels and dimes.

Old 10-18-2018, 03:23 PM

15,108 posts, read 27,555,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I'm hoping that Ketabcha and Camper are doing ok. My immediate area, as usual, has gotten very little rain -- just occasional drizzles. In fact, I've had to water the rubber tree plants on my patio regularly because they're in danger of dying from drought.

Thanks for the update on your hand. Good news that it seems to be clearing up.

I dont get many trick-or-treaters these days. They all have Halloween parties and dont go out in my neighborhood. For the very few who do come to my house, I give 2-3 snack-sized candy bars to each one. I miss the good ole days when hundreds of kids would knock on my door -- so many that I'd always run out of candy and would have to give some kids nickels and dimes.
Thanks TFW - I always tell them they can pick out three (was hoping that didn't seem cheap) - then when it starts getting to be later and I'm done w/giving out - I give them more to get rid of it. I also figured that presumably most parents don't want their kids to be coming home w/tons of sugar. I can never figure out how many I will have - it could be 20 or so or it could be 50+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff