Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 12:22 PM

540 posts, read 1,325,594 times

Advertisements

After much research, I decided on tracfone, because it is pay as you go and had some good deals
I got camera phones with 120 minutes and 3 months service for $30.00

$10.00 a month was acceptable, including phone. Then I found a thread on Fatwallet.com where they give out codes for free minutes. I didn’t have to use the 120 minute cards for 3 months and then I used a code that gave 90 minutes free.

So 20 min free with phone + 300 free minutes on activation with code +120 minute card that came with phone + 90 minute free code = 530 minutes = $30.00 spent = approx 5.6 cents per minute and 6 months service included, therefore, doubling up on minutes without spending anymore money.

I did great, but there are people on that thread who have figured out ways to get even better deals.

Someone on fatwallet sells minutes . Here is an example

300 minutes - $15 each if only one is purchased. $13 each after the first purchased block

Official Thread - Tracfone bonus codes

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 09:33 AM

995 posts, read 3,920,398 times
I'm on Sprint SERO plan. They no longer offer it, but I think there's a secondary market.

Here's the plan.

$30/month (add $5.xx for tax)
500 minutes
unlimited text
5Gb data (internet)
7pm-7am and weekend unlimited minutes

Old 04-02-2009, 12:20 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,032,469 times
I have a tracfone also. My phone was $30 with 120 minutes to start. I mostly use the 60 minute cards with a bonus code for 60 free minutes. My phone, the Moto V170 has free incoming texts, outgoing is .3 min. (I signed up with Redbox DVDs for a free DVD code by text every Monday.)

I found another TF Moto V170 at Goodwill for $5. Reactivated it with "glitch" 300 free minutes (do web search) and a 60/60 card, so $25 for 3 months and 420 min, and now my SO has a TF.

I figure these phones cost $7/mo each. We only use ~10 min per week.

I don't keep many minutes extra on them at a time so if they are lost or broken a huge investment is not gone. But I do take advantage of good deals on minutes when I find them.

Some people really find the TF minutes deals and share them online with others. Do web search...

Old 04-02-2009, 01:38 PM

281 posts, read 1,004,792 times
Does anyone know if pay-as-you-go type phones get decent rates on international calls? My family/friends are all in Australia (I'm in the US), so I need a phone that offers decent rates on international calls.

My husband and I currently have AT&T's cheapest family plan, but it comes with something like 400-500 minutes, and never use them! We have about 3,000 rollover minutes at the moment. Our phone bill is about $80 a month, which isn't too bad considering that includes 2x half-hour/hour long phone calls to Australia, 200 messages and 500 minutes. But I'd love to get it lower...any suggestions?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:00 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,665,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becwells View Post
Does anyone know if pay-as-you-go type phones get decent rates on international calls? My family/friends are all in Australia (I'm in the US), so I need a phone that offers decent rates on international calls.

My husband and I currently have AT&T's cheapest family plan, but it comes with something like 400-500 minutes, and never use them! We have about 3,000 rollover minutes at the moment. Our phone bill is about $80 a month, which isn't too bad considering that includes 2x half-hour/hour long phone calls to Australia, 200 messages and 500 minutes. But I'd love to get it lower...any suggestions?
Look at Primus Prepaid Phone Cards - Cheap International & Long Distance Phone Calling Cards, Best Low Cost Prepaid Call Card Online

Australia is $0.05/minute. You can use the above service (and there are other such companies) with your cell phone, home phone, or both. Avoid international calling plans from US cell carriers - too expensive.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM

540 posts, read 1,325,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
I don't keep many minutes extra on them at a time so if they are lost or broken a huge investment is not gone. But I do take advantage of good deals on minutes when I find them.

Some people really find the TF minutes deals and share them online with others. Do web search...
If your phone is lost, stolen or you just want to buy a different one, customer service will rollover the minutes and the telephone number

No need to worry about losing the minutes

Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,399,563 times
I use T-Mobile, pay as you go. I bought $100 worth of minutes and they lasted for year. Then, when I "reloaded" the unused minutes from the previous $100 carried over....so I am spending less than $9 a month. Works for me....

forum rules, please read them

Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 PM

482 posts, read 2,411,341 times
Katz-- How many minutes did you get for that price? Also, were there any times or circumstances where you got any free minutes, like talking to another T-Mobile or nights and weekends? Your deal sounds good.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:53 PM

13 posts, read 135,997 times
AT&T Pay As You Go plans are cheap, and you don't get burned with the "extra fees" like Tracfone.

Research them here...

Old 04-04-2009, 10:50 AM

5,161 posts, read 11,399,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
Katz-- How many minutes did you get for that price? Also, were there any times or circumstances where you got any free minutes, like talking to another T-Mobile or nights and weekends? Your deal sounds good.
I pay 10 cents a minute ($100/1000 minutes)... but no free minutes...however, I don't need them, I don't even use up my $100 worth of minutes in the year.

Here is a link to the plans they offer at the moment, the one I have is the pay as you go, not "pay by the day"...

Unsupported Browser

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff