Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 06:39 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times

Advertisements

And TGIF TGIF TGIF TGIF!!!

http://bestsmileys.com/bouncing/10.gif (broken link)

(Start of Spring Break for our college district - even though I have to work next Monday and Tuesday, I won't be working hard . The place is gonna be empty like Death Valley in July.)

Old 03-26-2010, 07:08 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
The Question of the Day is interesting. I like the Other Topics forum -- not so much as the Deals forum because you guys are my homies. But thanks so much for telling us about Other Topics!!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:09 PM

LOL at Gandalara's bouncing TGIF smiley!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,435,320 times
My Question -

Have you ever sent someone a friend request, and they never answer? I just noticed the little square is still grayed-out next to this persons' name, and it's been weeks. Should I just uncheck them?

Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,002,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
My Question -

Have you ever sent someone a friend request, and they never answer? I just noticed the little square is still grayed-out next to this persons' name, and it's been weeks. Should I just uncheck them?
Don't be so hasty unless you have reason to believe they aren't accepting for a reason. I don't always see mine at first.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,529,294 times
Quote:
My Question -

No. I am kinda shy (or maybe introverted during certain days of the week), and don't ask very many people to be my friends.....you guys found me.....

Has that person been on a lot? Sometimes people send me messages and I don't get back right away......

Old 03-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Should I just uncheck them?
I can understand how you feel. I'm still too nervous to ask people to be friends. (Must be residual feelings from my childhood days when I was always the last one to be picked for the P.E. class baseball teams.) But you're such a cool person that no one would have any reason to ignore your invitation deliberately. I'd just wait until he/she finally sees it.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
No. I am kinda shy (or maybe introverted during certain days of the week), and don't ask very many people to be my friends.....you guys found me.....
Ah, wurzig, could we be related???

Old 03-27-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I can understand how you feel. I'm still too nervous to ask people to be friends. (Must be residual feelings from my childhood days when I was always the last one to be picked for the P.E. class baseball teams.) But you're such a cool person that no one would have any reason to ignore your invitation deliberately. I'd just wait until he/she finally sees it.
I was always the first to be picked because I was good at the sport......LOL

I have had a lot of acquaintances in my life...I've been to several colleges, have lived in a few different areas of California, was a very involved mom in my daughter's schools and activities...and I was a corporate wife for many years, went to many plays and concerts with people who wouldn't have normally been my friends, sat in many a restaurant with the same and had to throw all kinds of intimate dinner parties PLUS huge parties (I've had almost 200 people in my current house), and it was my job to mingle at gatherings, make everybody feel welcome, bla, bla, bla. Those days are behind me, (hopefully, forever), but it is not my natural tendency to be extroverted.

As I age, I have learned the true meaning of friendship....and AS I AGE, I can count on one hand the TRUE friends that will be there for me when I need them.....and one of them lives on the other side of the USA! I don't have to have contact with these friends for months on end, but if I need them, they're there for me, just as I am there for them, no questions asked.

It takes time, (one has to do a bit of weeding), but I've met some really nice people on city data..(and also some hard-headed, rude ones, thus the reason for weeding)....they are all different from me, but that is what makes them so special. I've 'met' them because of common interests or I find them interesting. (I am really getting into these 'freebies'....and I have met some nice friends, YOU GUYS, too!)

One thread that I contribute towards is in Montana.....it's a 'porch' and we talk about anything....(just like this one). They are very different than I am, (these are not urban people....they rope cattle, have inches of ice on their cars in the mornings, break horses, live in below-zero temps for a good part of winter, site grizzlies out their back yards, watch eagles while they fish, some live on Indian reservations, fish in pristine rivers, repair fences so their horses don't escape, fix it themselves instead of calling repairmen), but they are such an interesting group of people and I feel very fortunate to be a part of their group.....they put up with my ignorant questions and have great interest in my daughter because she has been accepted at the University of Montana, (and 2 other out-of-state schools), and is close to making a decision. I was a bit timid at first because I have learned that certain states do not like outsiders...(heck, California is a big melting pot and is such a mixture of people, so seeing this nastiness towards 'outsiders' was kinda foreign to me in the beginning), but I am okay with it now. It seems that people from CA get a bad rep.....one bad apple, ya know..... If you move to a state and constantly say, 'well, we didn't do it this way in CA!!!!', then you have problems.....(it's kind of like the bumper sticker from years back: Welcome to Oregon. Now go home!) Anyway, I don't try to change anybody in Montana and I have allowed myself to see their world through their eyes....it's very interesting and they are good, salt-of-the-earth-people.

I have no idea why I have taken the time to write all this.....friends come in all shapes, sizes, colors, you name it...and sometimes you meet them when you least expect it. Sometimes, online, people create totally different personalities than what they really have....but I have met up with some genuinely nice people on here (especially YOU GUYS), and for that, I am grateful.

Old 03-27-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Ah, wurzig, could we be related???
Twinsies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff