Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 04:29 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I made the decision with my parents last week that if the kids didn't have the money to pay for their apartment expenses....they were going to have to do without instead of me or the grandparents always paying the difference. If they have money to party, go out to eat, entertain their friends, get nails done....but don't have cable money....well, no cable. It is always hard for me to say No, but I'm not doing them a favor by constantly coming behind them and paying for their wrong decisions. It's part of growing up.

I suspect they are short more than cable money....but I'm serious about not paying their bills. All those friends who hang around their apartment will have to chip in.

It will be tough the next couple of months as they readjust their spending....but in the end....it will make them stronger and wiser. This is just hard for me because I want their life to be easy. Deal is....life is never easy for anyone.

It'll probably be tougher on you than them. I remember days and days of spaghetti, so I could pay rent way back in the neolithic ages.

Just keep telling yourself ... if you make it easy and always bail them out, they'll never learn how to handle their finances!

I bless my parents (now, didn't then!) for being tough.

Last edited by Gandalara; 05-14-2010 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: spelling hamsters ate my letters.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weroses View Post
I sometimes wish I lived in the city theres lots to do and places to see Our nearest mall is 40 miles away the only big shopping place here is Walmart 20 mins away It has advantages and disadvantages
But your area is beautiful!!

My next move I'm leap-frogging into another state - I keep moving east away from people ... they keep following me

Old 05-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I know I would love to live out in the country but having to drive miles to shop
Internet.
The UPS Brown and the USPS Blue.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:37 PM

And this is for Camper, because we don't see enough of her ...

http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/4.gif (broken link)

Old 05-14-2010, 05:21 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,317,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
Yes, it's a trade off, isn't it? I always thought I would like to live in New York City. I love the place and I spend some of my vacation time there but the older I get the more I value the serenity of the suburbs. I know I would love to live out in the country but having to drive miles to shop (and I hate to shop) or go see a play would bother me. I'm spoiled and I'm lucky. Being retired makes just about anything okay with me. I value the gentle things in life and there are a lot of them out there.
Growing up I lived on the outskirts of NYC. My dad had a deli on 2nd ave. It was a lot of fun visiting plus my grandmother ,aunt & uncle lived in a condo across the street from the original Friday's.
After getting married and moving further east hardly ever visited NYC-once in awhile for the Christmas show at Radio City.

But even though My husband worked there-the older we got-the less we went with the kids. He did take them to various restaurants and sights-ie-museums & the World Trade Center-(May they all rest in peace)
Here I'm living 1/2 hour from St Louis-(my husband works there) I have no desire to go-well maybe except for the zoo

Old 05-14-2010, 06:06 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
"I can't live up north because ya'll talk funny!" ....I say in my Dolly Parton twang.

Today wasn't all that financially rewarding (Fridays usually aren't), but tomorrow will more than make up for it. Working on commission is always a crazy sort of life. It's kind of like bowling.....you either make a strike or hit the gutter. (And I wonder why I live a life eating Prilosec!!)

Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Me too!! It was only when I lived in a more rural area. I think it was squirrels because we would find acorn pieces under the hood along the wiper area.

I've had such a long week. I made the decision with my parents last week that if the kids didn't have the money to pay for their apartment expenses....they were going to have to do without instead of me or the grandparents always paying the difference. If they have money to party, go out to eat, entertain their friends, get nails done....but don't have cable money....well, no cable. It is always hard for me to say No, but I'm not doing them a favor by constantly coming behind them and paying for their wrong decisions. It's part of growing up.

I suspect they are short more than cable money....but I'm serious about not paying their bills. All those friends who hang around their apartment will have to chip in.

It will be tough the next couple of months as they readjust their spending....but in the end....it will make them stronger and wiser. This is just hard for me because I want their life to be easy. Deal is....life is never easy for anyone.

At least there were quite a few good freebies offered this week!!! I hope you guys found stuff you wanted........and that it comes.

Lets keep an eye on Wurzig. Looks like she's almost up for her first star!!!!!!!!!
I don't blame you about the bills/kids/money. I am there myself..... They sometimes have to learn a lot of lessons the hard way..... This generation has it so much easier than mine did.....and I guess the generation before mine had it much easier than the generation before it.....

I am really dragging my feet today....need to go to the grocery store.....I get so sick of it.....<sigh>

I hauled around here after the guys left on Thursday..I scrubbed, dusted and cleaned so much that by 10:30 p.m. some of the joints in my hands were locking up on me......showed the house yesterday, but they wanted a bigger back yard.....<sigh two times>

If I get a star, it'll be because of you!

Old 05-16-2010, 08:04 PM

Busy and gone most of the weekend. Trying to catch up now while watching Celebrity Apprentice! Looks like there weren't too many freebies missed. Weekends are always slow. I'll catch up with everyone tomorrow.

I miss Camper..............

Old 05-17-2010, 06:58 AM

Good Monday Morning to everyone!!

So far....not much happening in the freebie world. Hope the week picks up. I forgot to list the free magazines I got in the 'what I got in the mail today' thread. I'm glad to read everyone got at least a few things last week!!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:35 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Quote:
Busy and gone most of the weekend. Trying to catch up now while watching Celebrity Apprentice! Looks like there weren't too many freebies missed. Weekends are always slow. I'll catch up with everyone tomorrow.

I miss Camper..............
I'm here. just not very often. The dr's. office just called to change my appointment and I had to ask for a refill on some pain pills. I hate taking them but i don't have a chance without them. I also called for an appointment for tomorrow with the Arthritis doctor for tomorrow. My hands, wrist and elbow are keepong me from doing my stretches.

This is so hard.... I need a cheering group to go with me to pt.

Our friends that go camping with us called last night to see if i was up to tubing! ha! Told them all I could go would be go in circles.

I miss you guys so much. Thanks for all the shout outs and sorry for all the things that have happened ( good and bad) that I have missed. I will be back full time asap.

Nap time now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff