U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,129,536 times

Advertisements

Make America’s Best Idea Even Better | National Park Foundation (http://www.nationalparks.org/americas-best-idea/?fa=best-idea-better - broken link)

September 26 is also National Public Lands Day and entrance to all 391 national parks is free!

Quote:
In an unprecedented call to serve, the National Park Service and the National Park Foundation are inviting Americans to make the national parks Americas Best Idea even better. On September 26th, National Public Lands Day, all 391 national parks will welcome visitors and volunteers for a FREE day of service and celebration in the parks. As part of the festivities, parks will feature an exclusive sneak preview of Ken Burns new documentary THE NATIONAL PARKS: AMERICA’S BEST IDEA premiering on PBS September 27th.
Although this is a nationwide event, each park is uniquely customizing its activities to address its specific needs and to honor the work of local volunteers, friends groups and park supporters. Additionally, participating partners including Merrell, Unilever and others, will honor the day through special in-store events, park activities and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 05:43 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,162,136 times
Cool! I have one near me. If I can find a mosquito net that runs from head to toe X 2, I'll take my neice on 9/26.
Thanks, GB.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 PM

I imagine they will all be more crowded on that day....but hey....it's free!

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 PM
B4U

Nah. It's off season & the natives will be thinking the same as me. And no beer! OMG!

Old 09-05-2009, 08:44 AM

735 posts, read 1,463,556 times
I actually think this is a bad idea. It takes a lot of work and respect for nature for these parks to stay as beautiful as possible. Usually, the people willing to pay money to get into the parks appreciate them more. I have noticed that many free recreation areas get polluted by a lot of poeple that don't care or respect nature. I bet this is the first and last time they do this. I also hope no animals are harmed.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:07 AM

8,092 posts, read 13,462,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
I actually think this is a bad idea. It takes a lot of work and respect for nature for these parks to stay as beautiful as possible. Usually, the people willing to pay money to get into the parks appreciate them more. I have noticed that many free recreation areas get polluted by a lot of poeple that don't care or respect nature. I bet this is the first and last time they do this. I also hope no animals are harmed.
Well, they've been doing it since 1994.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:43 AM
B4U

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgShred View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Well, they've been doing it since 1994.
ProgShred, I don't see how this is a bad idea.
National Parks were established to protect and preserve the land from man's destruction. That's what some of your tax $$ are for.
Look at how long they've been around and how many visit them annually.
If anything, visitors will see and feel the environment around them and learn to appreciate it,our land, all the more. Who couldn't say that after visiting the Grand Canyon, for instance?
And there's a park for everyone, from dessert to mountain to beach.
Go out & see. If you don't come back learning something new about your own environment, I'd be very dissappointed & surprised.

Here's our 1st couple of Nat'l Parks & dates est.:

1872March 1Yellowstone Idaho, Montana, Wyoming
1890 September 25SequoiaCalifornia October 1YosemiteCalifornia

Old 09-05-2009, 05:50 PM

735 posts, read 1,463,556 times
I do visit the National Parks as often as I can. I think they are all wonderful. I have just noticed that places that are free to get into tend to become more vandalized and polluted than the places that you have to pay entree fees for.

Old 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM

Reminder bump...........and don't forget the PBS Special on these parks this month!

Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 AM
B4U

I saw PBS on Yellowstone & Yosemite. OMG! I've been to Yosemite & many more. And still never tire of watching. Thanks for the reminder, GloryB. ..... and Goodmorning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff