Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,964,303 times

Advertisements

Kindle for PC

Quote:
"Read more than 360,000 Kindle books on your computer with our free application for your Windows PC. No Kindle required. Already have a Kindle? With Whispersync, you can access your library of Kindle books, notes, marks, and more."
This is such a cool program!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 08:19 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,357,170 times
Have you bought any books for it GloryB? I still can't rep you, and I've handed plenty out to others!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:21 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,334,284 times
Apparently you can also get a free nook from Barnes and Noble, for any computer or certain cell phones, like the I Phone. I don't think this particular one is available yet because the nook isn't out yet, but the nook is going to allow sharing between devices, unlike the kindle (which I have). So if you have the nook on your computer, and your friend has a nook, they will be able to loan you a book (restrictions apply)

Old 11-20-2009, 05:16 PM

There are free ebooks available from time to time.....plus you could also put all the free ebook cookbooks on it. There are magazine subscriptions you can get, plus in very few cities, you can also get you local newspaper on it.

The difference of having the kindle, rather than just reading it on your computer, is that the pages flip like a book. It is electronic, but it reads totally different than having it on a web page. I really think it is a big wave of the future. My oldest son, who happens to be a librarian in a college, said eventually all library books would be offered. How cool would it be just to download books from your library online?? When that is available, I would actually BUY a regular Kindle to carry around. They are so small and light weight.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:57 PM

947 posts, read 3,132,970 times
I like to read in the bathtub are they waterproof?

Old 11-21-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
An actual Kindle is portable and not plugged into a power source all the time....so that might work. If you use a laptop....that might work too.
But the PC won't work.................or Rose Red could be Toasty Brown.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,334,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Red View Post
Noooooo, not waterproof.

The only way I'd take my kindle into the tub is if I had one of those trays that sit across the tub.

Frankly, on second thought, I just wouldn't take it into the tub at all. It's too small, thin, smooth, and too easy to drop to be anywhere near a tub.

When I bought mine it was $359, I know they are $259 now (a mere 5 months later thanks to the nook), so I just can't risk damaging the thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff