U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 04:32 AM

9 posts, read 16,193 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the info. It really is helpful. I have a company provided apartment for 6-8 weeks when i arrive. I will take that time to look at both areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 04:48 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
Living in a place is entirely different from knowing it either by memory or from images on tv/film. When I lived in Austin, TX I thought it a very pleasant, visually attractive place. When I flew back there whilst living in Vilnius, Lithuania I was taken by how visually unattractive, uncentralised, overgrown small townish it looked. When I later flew back over from London to close the sale of my house in Austin, it was even less attractive after being away longer. When we moved back across the pond to Delaware, I was beside myself with agony at returning to the likes of Concord Pike and Kirkwood Hwy -- these exemplify the most unappealing aspects of American suburbia. Delaware has lots of charm, but it's not to be found in much of the suburban sprawl that is so typical of America generally. Northern New Castle County just has more resources, minus the beaches, and is also within easy striking distance of Philadelphia, and to NYC and DC via Amtrak. The most attractive areas in Northern New Castle County include Greenville, Centreville, parts of the Brandywine Hundred, Montchanin, and Hockessin. Also Alapocas and some areas within the City of Wilmington proper such as the Highlands and Wawaset Park. Admittedly it will be relatively difficult to find a rental in some of those areas. I would still recommend trying to locate within the boundaries of the Red Clay school district, which would further limit the choices out of the foregoing list.

Let me try to make one further point about Delaware south of the C&D Canal -- the area resembles parts of east Cambridgeshire and Norfolk, specifically the fens -- low country that is full of wetlands and flat farmland. Unfortunately, a lot of it has been subject to a lot more development than the fens of East Anglia and what you then have is a combination of cheap real estate developments and McMansions sitting out on treeless former farmland. The wetlands and cultivated fields do have a kind of beauty, but the housing estates thrown up on what had been agricultural land are pretty grim. You're also out in an area where shopping, apart from the supermarket, can become a significant journey. One might well make a fully informed choice to move there, but I wouldn't recommend it for those uninitiated into the car-dependent life of far-flung American bedroom communities.

Last edited by doctorjef; 06-18-2010 at 05:26 AM..

Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 AM

445 posts, read 1,285,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
It's not like the OP hasn't seen hundreds of American movies about suburbia. I'm sure he's not an idiot.

Still, OP, I would look at the Northern Wilmington suburbs. Middletown is a bit disconnected from some amenities you may want. Try Brandywine Hundred. You'll get your yard, a decent school, your proximity to work, and enough shopping to get done what you need. I also have a feeling that two English kids would assimilate better in Brandywine Hundred than Middletown. I'll catch some flames for this... but.. Brandywine Hundred is probably a bit more welcoming to kids who "speak differently" than would Middletown.
Yea, we are just a bunch of non-diverse, uneducated hicks down here.

So please tell me Joe. What part of the MOT are do you live in? Oh you don't? Well maybe that would explain your glaring lack of knowledge about who now live in the MOT area.

Natives of Canada, India and Russia live on my block. First generations from China and Brasil live in my development. Our schools are filled with guest teachers from Sweden teaching music or from China for our Chinese languages program (6 languages are taught in our schools). Young foreign professionals have settled here for our balance of safe neighborhoods, great public schools and affordable housing. This is not the MOT of 1995. You should come see sometime Joe.

Since others seem so free with judgement concerning places they do not live, please allow me to chime in. You are 10 times more likely to be a victim of a violent crime in the Brandywine hundred than the Appoquinimink hundred and your children are 100 times more likely to be a drop out in Dickenson HS (the HS for the before mentioned Pine Creek) than Middletown HS.

I hope the OP comes see's for himself and good luck with your decision. You won't have me telling you that living in Wilmington or Middletown isn't for you.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 AM

347 posts, read 734,485 times
Jdoll...right on with your description of the area the OP asked about. There are many homes for sale in a variety of settings in Middletown. Some developments are new and more "open" less trees, etc. but many are established neighborhood that have trees, etc. I suggest using the Appoquinimink School Districts website to plug an address in to see which of their schools you children would attend...seems like you have a Middle School and High School age child. Based on the OP's comments I think that Middletown could fit their needs. Although our family does miss being closer to NYC we have really enjoyed Philly and mostly Baltimore with both being about an hour away. Moving anywhere with tween and teen children is a big adjustment and culture shock for them...I know, we did it less than a year ago.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,763,675 times
When you get settled do stop down and see our beaches in the Lewes/Rehoboth Beach area. Def to far to comute daily to your job but great for a weekend at the beach and boardwalk. We also have great shoppimg outlets.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:57 AM

The beach towns in Delaware are indeed among the state's best assets. Lewes is the oldest town in the state, founded by the Dutch in the 1630's. The old city looks a bit more like New England than the Mid-Atlantic and is truly charming (some excellent restaurants there as well). Rehoboth Beach is quaint in an entirely different way and is loads of fun. Many families also enjoy Bethany Beach, just a little farther south. Main attractions in Delaware tend to be at opposite ends of the state, either downstate in Sussex County or at the extreme north end in northern New Castle County (not to say that there aren't worthwhile things in the middle of the state). Delaware has no sales tax/VAT and the outlet malls along Rt 1 on the approach to Rehoboth have some really good deals.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,994,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
Yea, we are just a bunch of non-diverse, uneducated hicks down here.

So please tell me Joe. What part of the MOT are do you live in? Oh you don't? Well maybe that would explain your glaring lack of knowledge about who now live in the MOT area.

Natives of Canada, India and Russia live on my block. First generations from China and Brasil live in my development. Our schools are filled with guest teachers from Sweden teaching music or from China for our Chinese languages program (6 languages are taught in our schools). Young foreign professionals have settled here for our balance of safe neighborhoods, great public schools and affordable housing. This is not the MOT of 1995. You should come see sometime Joe.

Since others seem so free with judgement concerning places they do not live, please allow me to chime in. You are 10 times more likely to be a victim of a violent crime in the Brandywine hundred than the Appoquinimink hundred and your children are 100 times more likely to be a drop out in Dickenson HS (the HS for the before mentioned Pine Creek) than Middletown HS.

I hope the OP comes see's for himself and good luck with your decision. You won't have me telling you that living in Wilmington or Middletown isn't for you.
Lower NCCo has always been behind Northern NCco (especially Brandywine Hundred) in terms of acceptance of new ideas, concepts, and people. I have no doubt that Middletown is a fine town. I know many people down there, but I wouldn't move down there as a foreigner or as a gay or a muslim because that area is more HICK (since you wanted to use the word,) and more closed minded than, say, Brandywine Hundred.

Second, Why would you bring up Dickinson high school, or Pike Creek for that matter. I am talking about BRANDYWINE HUNDRED. Obviously you don't know what Brandywine Hundred is to compare it to Middletown. (BTW, I don't know Middletown of 1995... I'd never been there until about 2003)

Am I from Brandywine hundred? Nope. That's just the truth. As much as Middletown is growing, and changing, you're still going to have plenty of redneck mentality no matter how much it's diluted. If I really wanted my kids to assimilate somewhere with open-mindedness, they'd be up in Brandywine Hundred or Hockessin as far as I could against the PA border.

Last edited by Joe84323; 06-20-2010 at 12:41 AM..

Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,763,675 times
Quote:
Lower NCCo has always been behind Northern NCco (especially Brandywine Hundred) in terms of acceptance of new ideas, concepts, and people. I have no doubt that Middletown is a fine town. I know many people down there, but I wouldn't move down there as a foreigner or as a gay or a muslim because that area is more HICK (since you wanted to use the word,) and more closed minded than, say, Brandywine Hundred.

Second, Why would you bring up Dickinson high school, or Pike Creek for that matter. I am talking about BRANDYWINE HUNDRED. Obviously you don't know what Brandywine Hundred is to compare it to Middletown. (BTW, I don't know Middletown of 1995... I'd never been there until about 2003)

Am I from Brandywine hundred? Nope. That's just the truth. As much as Middletown is growing, and changing, you're still going to have plenty of redneck mentality no matter how much it's diluted. If I really wanted my kids to assimilate somewhere with open-mindedness, they'd be up in Brandywine Hundred or Hockessin as far as I could against the PA border.
Joe.. You could bring the kids downstate we have just about everything here.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:37 AM

longnecker, I think you miss Joe's point. However, I thought for the benefit of the OP we should say something about the peculiar Delaware designation of "Hundreds". These divisions date from colonial times and the entire state is divided up into these hundreds that once had some political significance but no longer do so (sort of like the traditional provinces of France). Some of the hundreds are frequently referred to as reference points for particular areas, while others are not so frequently cited. Brandywine Hundred, north of the City of Wilmington is one of the hundreds that is commonly identified as such, perhaps because it is fairly coterminous with a large suburban residential community. The origin of the name "hundred" is somewhat uncertain but may stem from the criterion of an area having at least 100 men who were able to serve in the colony's militia. The hundreds in Delaware still had some taxation and state legislature district significance up to the 1950's.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:52 AM

1,531 posts, read 3,418,653 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that Middletown is a fine town. I know many people down there, but I wouldn't move down there as a foreigner or as a gay or a muslim because that area is more HICK (since you wanted to use the word,) and more closed minded than, say, Brandywine Hundred.
I've lived in North wilmington (mayfield area), claymont and now in Middletown.
we are from germany and did not feel any difference the way we were treated, if I compare the north to middletown.

a big difference to me was the little town feeling. we've NEVER experienced that, before we moved down here.
sports are a big deal down here, perfect to make friends.
when I go grocery shopping, to the dogpark, to soccerfields, I always run into people I know.
we made a lot of good friends, and most of them are delawarian (50% moved down from the northern part).

when it comes to schools, I can only speak of second hand experience (our kids go to charter school, which would not make too much sense for the OP, since it ends with 8th grade): redding middle might be in a rougher area compared to the other middleschools around here, but parents were surprised, how well the school itself did.

what I really like about our neighborhood (dove run, right across from willow grove mill), is that teens can walk or ride their bike to get to a couple of restaurants and stores. that's a very european thing and not easy to find in the US in general.

willow grove mill is a nice neighborhood too, great location (next to rt 1 to wilmington or south to the beaches (1.15 hr), also close to shops and cafes, where you can walk/ride bikes to.
there is a huge police station right next to this neighborhood, I think, that's a good thing too.
I know several families who rent townhomes there and they are quite happy with it.

I also think, middletown crossing is a pretty good neighborhood, convenient location to main street, starbucks etc and it features a really safe bike path to silverlake park (soccer, skating, running, baseball).

and there's a pub on main street too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or