U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 AM

29 posts, read 51,132 times
Default Delaware hospitals: ER planned for Middletown

article in the news journal

Delaware hospitals: ER planned for Middletown | delawareonline.com | The News Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 AM

381 posts, read 811,811 times
Wow. That's great news! Now if they can actually figure out when it will be built...

Old 06-19-2010, 12:26 PM

1,374 posts, read 1,950,772 times
would be great to have a reliable place in town. we went to christiana ER (301) twice and had a horrible experience twice.

the doc we were seeing (after 2,5 hours of waiting with a bleeding child, who got a deep cut on his nose) recommended to go somewhere else, since he COULD make some stitches, but apparently was so tired and it was close to 8pm - so we had to wait 12 more hours to get an appointment with a private surgeon (usually you should not exceed the 12h time limit to take care of a cut ).
they really should have a nurse practitioner, who would check on incoming patients. so many were sitting there and working on their laptop and they all were in front of us - and our son was in shock, the bleeding did not stop - and all we got were tissues

sorry for sharing that BAD opinion, but I can't wait for another facility to open. right now we go to glasgow medical center and with a child we would drive up to AI dupont. by that time we had no idea where to go to and I wished, christiana care would have offered this options.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:21 PM

144 posts, read 233,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post

Thank you for the information and it is much needed in that area!

Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 PM

296 posts, read 310,838 times
Is this actually going to be an 'emergency room' or just another 'urgent care center'? A lot of the quotes about this seem idealistic and naive.

If you are an ambulance or paramedic in the southern area of the county, is this really going to cut down on your 'run time'? If someone needs to be transported for a minor injury that is easy to diagnose and treat, then yes, this could be a help. However, any more serious condition would still necessitate a trip to Christiana or Dover because there are no inpatient beds or surgical capabilities at this place.

It's great for local use to deal with migraines/stitches/minor burns etc. However, if more serious intervention is required, you still have to drive a half hour to an actual hospital.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:09 PM

445 posts, read 874,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimacista View Post
Is this actually going to be an 'emergency room' or just another 'urgent care center'? A lot of the quotes about this seem idealistic and naive.

If you are an ambulance or paramedic in the southern area of the county, is this really going to cut down on your 'run time'? If someone needs to be transported for a minor injury that is easy to diagnose and treat, then yes, this could be a help. However, any more serious condition would still necessitate a trip to Christiana or Dover because there are no inpatient beds or surgical capabilities at this place.

It's great for local use to deal with migraines/stitches/minor burns etc. However, if more serious intervention is required, you still have to drive a half hour to an actual hospital.
It is to be a full functioning Emergency Room meant to stabilize serious health issues. They will be able to save lives that Paramedic's cannot in the back of an ambulance, driving north on Route 1. As the article stated Acute Care, when it is built in a later phase, will be structured to deal with migraines/stitches/minor burns etc. I'll be shocked if the 1st phase does not include a Heli-pad.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:59 PM

381 posts, read 811,811 times
I thought the article was pretty clear that it is an ER, not an urgent care. In fact, they referred to it as an ER more than once, and also discussed what Jdoll mentions.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:40 PM

[quote=camrynh;14714909]I thought the article was pretty clear that it is an ER, not an urgent care. In fact, they referred to it as an ER more than once, and also discussed what Jdoll mentions.[/quote

Yes I agree, the article self explains!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM

296 posts, read 310,838 times
I know that the article says "emergency room" and I don't doubt that, my question is just about the services it will offer. If you are having a heart attack or are seriously injured in a car accident, would this be of use to you? Sure, it is better than the back of an ambulance but if you need serious intervention, you need surgical bed quickly, not just an emergency room facility - and this place does not look to have surgical or observational beds in the first stage.

It will serve minor issues well and it may very well be a place to take people with more serious situations to stabilize them before going somewhere else but I just don't see it being the all-encompassing resource that the article leads on.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:53 AM

The plan currently according to the article is to make an ER. Then talks of different phases leading up to perhaps a medical center,and which even depends on doctors coming to that area to live and work. The plan is in it's infancy with an eye to the future for the growing population in that vincinty. This is how I interpet the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware