U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:53 AM

5,453 posts, read 7,782,164 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

So, we were very limited on time so we didn't have an opportunity to drive around a lot, we came from Lancaster, PA because that's where my GPS took us, and when we got to DE the sign read: "the tax free state"? or something similar....can someone explain that? meaning that you don't do your taxes there? is it like duty free? I am sorry for sounding retarded about it, I just didn't get that....

We drove through Newark's main street...and out back to 95...so my question is this, in respect to main street, which way was Belden? or other communities alike?

Also, where would someone find a property to rent that is a 3/2 with den or 4/2 but with a nice yard in a good school district? I checked realtor.com and not much shows up, I take that as a good sign, unless I'm missing something.

Thank you,

Last edited by algia; 06-23-2010 at 05:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 05:18 AM

19,922 posts, read 9,989,108 times
There is no general sales tax for items purchased throughout the state, with a few exceptions, i.e. cars, cigarettes, beer/wine/liquor and hotel accomodations.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,322,320 times
And the tax on cars isn't legally considered a sales tax; it's a property transfer fee, as on real estate transactions here. However, a rose by any other name...

The absence of sales tax here means I rarely do shopping anymore when out of state, unless I genuinely can't get something here or need to buy an emergency piece of clothing. DE lures loads of people from MD and PA especially to do their shopping here; also from places farther away, especially when people are vacationing at the beaches here. The tax-free situation here is one of the nicest things about living in DE, IMO.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:41 AM

Ok, Thank you for explaining that, so that means that at the beginning of the year, between Jan and April 15 you don't do taxes? and get a tax return? right?

Old 06-23-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Ok, Thank you for explaining that, so that means that at the beginning of the year, between Jan and April 15 you don't do taxes? and get a tax return? right?
Sales tax is one thing. There is no state sales tax as described in previous posts.

Income tax is something else. Delaware residents do pay income taxes on earned income, with a number of exemptions depending on age and other factors.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
The absence of sales tax here means I rarely do shopping anymore when out of state, unless I genuinely can't get something here or need to buy an emergency piece of clothing. DE lures loads of people from MD and PA especially to do their shopping here; also from places farther away, especially when people are vacationing at the beaches here. The tax-free situation here is one of the nicest things about living in DE, IMO.
And I do something similar. Instead of buying in New York and paying 8.375% tax on items (slightly less on clothing), if it can wait, I do my shopping in Delaware. I've already got a shopping list ready for my next trip in August.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:29 AM

604 posts, read 1,779,359 times
People from NJ and NYC come by busloads - literally - (Christiana mall has bus parking lot) between Thanksgiving day and Xmas to save on sales tax.

As to no filing of tax return - not true - there is a state income tax for which one has to file a tax return, sorry to tell you.

And without somewhat of a budget number for rent it is hard to say what is available and where -
it will be important to know if any small children or pets included because that will determine acceptable or unacceptable areas.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM

381 posts, read 1,231,908 times
Yes, as others have said, you do pay income taxes. So, you file taxes, due April 15.

There is no sales tax (with few exceptions).

There is also property tax.

And stores' parking lots are always full of cars with plates from PA, NJ, and MD because people come to avoid sales tax. Even as far south as Middletown.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:57 AM

I was hoping you file taxes, we usually use that return to pay bills or travel.....LOLOL.....I was just confused by that "no tax" thing...as you can tell I am not familiar with this "tax" thing at all, my hubby is the expert there....

Quote:
And without somewhat of a budget number for rent it is hard to say what is available and where -
it will be important to know if any small children or pets included because that will determine acceptable or unacceptable areas.
On this, NO PETS, just us and 3 kids, 2 elementary school aged, and my son who has speech delay so he needs special ed kindergarten etc and baby...but looking to downsize considerably, so a 1400sqf to 1600sqf would be MORE than enough....rent should not be over $1400/$1500, we are pro renters but have been renting the same property from the same person for several years, made it easy on both us, and the owners not having to keep switching ppl and take risks as to what "kind" of ppl they rent too.....been lucky with this so far, hope we can continue, have great refs.
safe in general...we want out kids to have fenced yard so they can play outside. That is a MUST.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:32 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,792,581 times
We have several people come and stay at hotels on Thanksgiving night so they are there for the start of Black Friday at the Rehoboth Outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware