Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2017, 07:24 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times

Advertisements

In Bowers Beach, time is better spent sitting on the dock at JP's on the Wharf. Very relaxing watching the sun set and the fishing boats slowly approaching the dock to unload their catches. Beats all the hustle-bustle beach nonsense any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I have to ask as I keep seeing the thread listed when I turn on City Data Forum.

Where did the name Slaughter Beach come from? Did something happen there to give the place such a name? Was it people or animals that were slaughtered? Sorry, but the name doesn't sound like a beach name to me. LOL

Old 07-12-2017, 02:37 PM

405 posts, read 675,725 times
Nobody really knows but here a few stories:
Quote:
There are at least three stories of where the town's name came from: The first is that it was named after William Slaughter, a local postmaster in the mid-19th century. The second story claims “the name came from the horseshoe crabs that wash up on shore and die each year. They come near shore to shallow water to lay their eggs and the low tide strands them leaving them to die, thus the "slaughter.""[citation needed] The third story, and the most contested source of the town's name, stems from a local legend which tells of a man named Brabant who, in the mid-18th century, "slaughtered" several indigenous inhabitants by cannon in order to prevent an impending massacre.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughter_Beach,_Delaware

Old 07-13-2017, 03:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete lynch View Post
Nobody really knows but here a few stories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slaughter_Beach,_Delaware
Thank you for sharing that. OK I guess I could have looked it up. I find it interesting when I bounce around City Data Forum or when I am traveling, to learn about a place especially when it has an interesting name.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,259,690 times
One of my favorite Delaware place names has always been the Murderkill River. I know "kill" means river, but I never knew the derivation of the "murder" part.

So I Googled for more on that:
https://davidhealeyauthor.com/2016/0...t-their-names/
There's also info on Slaughter Beach and Whorekill, which was apparently an early name for Lewes. That was new to me; I'd only heard about Zwaanendael.

Gotta say, Googling sometimes just muddies the waters: here's an article that refutes most of the info in the above reference:
Delaware Backstory: The Murderkill River doesn't have a grisly past

Doesn't really matter, I guess -- just fun to read historians' speculations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware