U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,375 times
It seems to me that everyone keeps beating around the bush with this Dover neighborhoods post. A lot of areas in Dover have gotten a lot worse over the years. I don't mean to put my 2-sense in but not all areas in Dover are so great. Growing up in Dover being a black male its not easy. Luckily I got my life together and am now in college. I could tell you a heck of a lot about " ghetto" neighborhoods in Dover. I've lived in a few and have hung out in even more of them back when I was young and dumb.

Don't get me wrong, Dover has very nice neighborhoods too. But, living here my whole life showed me that this isn't the place I want to spend the rest of my life. I am planning on moving out west after college.

Anyway, it seems like everyone is talking about how nice Dover is and how there's really no places to stay away from. Well, I've experienced first hand a lot of places that you could go to and say "how could some one live in this dump".

NEWSFLASH for everyone who has no idea where bad neighborhoods are in Dover. I can tell you all about them- I grew up in them.

From Worst to a little bit better neighborhoods. (by bad I mean crime wise)

1. Capitol Park- you know, the neighborhood down toward the base. Probably the absolute worst neighborhood in Dover. When I was younger it used to be base housing. But, it took a turn of the worse later down the road. Hands down, worst place to live in Dover.

2. Capitol Green- is located on S. Dupont highway right after the road slits, not too far past Target. It is 100% section 8 housing. You can go on the Dover police home page and type in any street in this neighborhood and see how many "drug bust" and "shots fired" titles you see. I lived here when I was very young. Don't remember too much but it's definitely not the place to be.

3. New Street- right in the heart of downtown Dover. Parts of it are okay but the north end tends to be the worse part of it. I've actually had 3 friends get shot on New street. One of which died. This part of downtown Dover should just be avoided. Neighboring streets include Kirkwood and Queens St. Again, not good places.

4. Manchester Square- located just off White Oak Rd. I have lived here also and it was worse when I lived here. I was 16 at the time, got into a little bit of trouble here. We called it "Iraq" because of how bad it was out there. I can recall a few times I couldn't leave the house because of people getting shot the night before or somthing.

5. Simon Cirlcle- right off North St. It's a very small neighborhood but deffinately is not nice at all. Most of the worse parts are on the "east side" of dover. I think this is just about the only place on the west to stay away from. The west side of Dover is actually very nice.

6. Towne Point- pretty big neighborhood right off Rt. 13. Right after the Kmart. This used to be a pretty nice neighborhood and was'nt too bad. But there are 2 apartment complexes located in the neighborhood itself. One is Towne Point Apartments. The other is Westfalen/Derby Estates- which is section 8 low income housing. But the actual neighborhood of Towne Point isnt too bad.

7. Watcoat Village- located off Salisbury Rd. I think they actually offer free rent for anyone who qualifies. In a way it's a shelter. Didn't spend much time here as a teen but have heard a few horror stories.

8. Barrister Place- located just off S. Little Creek Rd. When I lived there we called it Cherry Hill. It's a very small neighborhood. Only one street. I lived here when I was 8 or 9. I didn't mind living here, probably because I didn't know that the older guys weren't just shaking hands. They were making a drug deal.

The list goes on. A lot of these places are tucked away- away from downtown Dover. So you won't see them if you're just taking a short trip to Dover. Again, I don't mean to make anyone mad. I just wanted people to know that it's not all happy and wonderful in Dover. Probably because the people on this thread live in the nice areas with the big houses and nice cars. There is also a bad side to Dover. I was born and raised in Dover and have lived here all my life. I am 24. I just wanted to let everyone know what life is like in Dover when you're growing up dirt poor. Without all the nice neighbors and big houses. I appologize if I made anyone mad. Everything I've said is true. I'm not just some punk trying to scare people away from living in Dover. Now you know the other half of Dover. The part that people like me know about because I grew up in these places.

As for the schools. I went to East Dover Elementary School. Then, to William Henry. They were pretty good schools. Central Middle School (grades 7 and 8) was a pretty bad school and I believe still is. Dover High had its ups and downs but for the most part was a good school. It's very crowded. They had somewhere around 1500 kids with only a 1 story building.

As for places to eat, the rest of you pretty much took care of that

Please take the time to look at the Delaware Housing Autority webpage. It'll show you some more places that should be avoided. The link is: State of Delaware - DSHA Services for Renters (http://www.destatehousing.com/services/locatorresults.php - broken link) I only names a few of the worst places. That's only the half of it. For the people living in nice neighborhoods in Dover- you probably have a great life. But for me- I've served my time in Dover, it's time for me to leave when I finish college (Del State).

Again people don't hate me for posting this! I am a good person compared to what I was 5 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 12:31 PM

342 posts, read 631,145 times
Very enlightening report. I have read in the newspapers about a few that you mentioned.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 AM

18 posts, read 58,862 times
Hello everyone!

I'm currently in the process of researching a good place for my boyfriend and I to just get things together for our future. We're looking to live here for a few years before finding some place to really settledown. We both come from Virginia and want to put some space between our families and us. We loves our families but they take the phrase "family-oriented" a little too literal. One of my uncles lives in the attic at my dad's house and another aunt and uncle live right next door with my 3 younger cousins. And they do /everything/ together. I'm all for family game night and cookouts, but this is a little too much to handle right now.

Anyways, Steven (my boyfriend) asked me to look up a few places I think would be good for us and I'm seriously looking into the Dover area. So far the good things I have read thus far on this thread outweigh the bad. I could get used to the city life as I have lived just outside of Richmond for most of my life and my parents are from New York. I could also live in the country as that's where my boyfriend has grown up (Chase City, VA). I'm not insanely concerned with crime as I said I have lived in Richmond which was one of the deadliest citied to live in 5 years ago. Not proud to say it but it has made me more aware of my surroundings to say the least.

I have read a lot about this being a popular area for retirees, and I was wondering if it would be a good place for a young couple like Steven and I to start out. I'm also curious about local comminty organizations such as adult sports leagues or local concerts. Also, does anyone know if there's a good theatre in the Dover area? I don't mean movie theatre, I mean is there a place like the Richmond Landmark Theatre which hosts events such as The Richmond Ballet's The Nutcracker. Does DU have a theatre department that puts on plays for the public? My dad used to take me every christmas to see The Nutcracker at the Landmark. And I was Assistant Stage Manager for my high school theatre deparment and I love Shakepeare's plays.

I should also probably mention we are planning on moving in January and of course we will be visiting Dover before we make a final decision.

Any info on the Camden/Dover area is helpful and what I've read so far has been a tremendous help. Thanks!

~Amanda~

Old 09-29-2009, 07:37 AM

36 posts, read 63,509 times
Dover Parks and Recreation has plenty of adult leagues. Slowpitch softball is pretty popular at Schutte Park. For theatres, there are performances at Delaware State University. I remember going on a trip to watch the Nutcracker there when I was in the sixth grade or something. Also, there is the Schwartz Theatre. I know they show a lot of indie/special release films but Im not sure about live theatre. Of course, you can go to Opera House in Wilmington (drive=30 mins). For nighlife in Dover, you are kind of limited. There isnt a whole bunch of places but theres enough to do. Some notable bars I prefer-- Loockerman Exchange, Irish Mikes, Bubbas. There is Dover Downs of course if you want to go gamble. Anything else you want to know just post it up

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 AM

18 posts, read 58,862 times
awesome. thanks for the info!

Old 06-03-2012, 05:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,718 times
I am 50 year old female totally disabled for 8 yrs. I own amobile home in Middletown however, need to sell because cannot aford it or take care of it. Anyone that might know where I could rent a foordable apartment in Dover or New Jersey please email me at [EMAIL="EMAILcmb@aol.com"]EMAIL cmb@aol.com[/EMAIL] Thanks mUST BE ABLE TO HAVE A LITTLE DOG AS WELL

Old 12-07-2012, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
Thank you for writing this as it is very helpful. I wish I could have read this post before moving my family to Westfalen Apts. I truly want to buy a home for me and my children so I figured Westfalen was a decent area and I could save money if I moved there. I have to tell you, the apartment itself and even the scenery are nice but the low lives that you have to live next to are ridiculous. Every day there is a problem with the people who live in these apartments. To be fair it isn't the adults per say more their want to be gangster children, the parents are of course responsible because they don't train their children and act oblivious to the fact that their children are the next generation of Gucci and the hood rats. The teenage girls out here are loud, slutty, rude, disrespectful, tasteless, tacky and nasty. These girls are without question or doubt going to have at least four to five children by different men totally utilizing the public assistance system as a clutch to survive because it is obvious that they will not graduate high school or live any where near a productive life style. The teenage males for the most part all seems to be enthralled by hip hop videos and rap music, addressing adults as ******* and hoes, sluts and tricks, while running around trying to prove their manhood (rather lack thereof) by jumping and attacking people, throwing up gang signs (fraudulent of course), terrorizing children or other teenagers that actually have parents that give a damn about them. These boys are the next generation of career convicts and as usual their claim to fame is "I already caught a case." The worst part of the whole scenario is that every one them are black. It is horrible to know that it is always your own people that bring the quality of life down in such a manner. I hope and pray I can save enough money to be able to put my down payment down in the near future as quickly and efficiently as possible. I love Delaware but I hate Towne Point at this stage and can not wait to be rid of these dregs of society. People like this turn your stomach at every point during the day and it is horrific that their parents sit back and allow them to be like this.

Old 07-12-2014, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 744 times
Wow these posts are so long ago. It is 2014 and I have some of the same concern. I may be moving to the Dover area. Is housing still a problem? How high are the utilities there. etc. Thanks Sharon

Old 07-12-2014, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 744 times
Any info would be great. Sharon

Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 271 times
I'm with you , Sharon - thbeses old posts are interesting and informative, but I need current information! I've already started my new job in Dover. I drive there from South Jersey for a couple of days a week (stay in a hotel) and telecommute the rest of the time while I try to find a place to live. I have a cat and I'm over 65, so stairs, lawn care, snow removal, crime, and a lot of noise are definitely not for me. Neither is a 55+ community (depressing and not diverse). A first-floor 2-bedroom apartment with some charm and character in an older home in a nice neiborhood that's been divided up with a few amenities (like off-street parking) would be ideal. The apartment complexes pretty much look the same - all like beehives. If I'm limited to an apartment complex, so be it. They all advertise as the "best in town", then when I check the ratings I see "crummy, bug-and-drug-infested ghetto, cheap contruction, slow maintenence...." I'm looking for safe, comfortable, attractive, and convenient to work (McKee & Saulsbury). I need a little good advice and some guidance from someone who knows what they're talking about. If you're out there - HELP!!!
Many thanks -
Marianne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware