U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:06 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,977,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
We're going to try to make our first trip down this weekend. Been reading the forums quite a bit over the past few weeks.
Have a safe enjoyable trip. Have you had a chance to review our 55+ community thread? We have some wonderful information and conversation in that thread.

Are there particular communities that you intend to see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Have a safe enjoyable trip. Have you had a chance to review our 55+ community thread? We have some wonderful information and conversation in that thread.
Aye, I have. I'm up to page 10 from the beginning, and about that far going back from the end. Lots of great info. Thank you SO MUCH for sharing all of it.

Quote:
Are there particular communities that you intend to see?
Not at this point, Charley. We just want to take a day trip (or overnight) to look around the area, first. I turn 55 in September, and could face an early retirement this year, though that's not certain. At this point, we're not even sure if we want a "community", a single-fam home, or maybe even a condo. We're just beginning to get ideas now.

But your thread has been a great help, and has raised our curiosity enough that we want to come down and take a look, first-hand.

Thanks again for this thread ... it's been a great resource.
-Paul

Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 PM

19,922 posts, read 9,977,694 times
Quote:
Thanks again for this thread ... it's been a great resource.
On behalf of the many contributors who make that thread what it is, you're most welcome. We all look forward to hearing your thoughts after your trip.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,548,096 times
PVS,

For me it was love at first sight when I made my first visit to Lewes in 2009. This past May I rented a condo in downtown Lewes and averaged walking 10 miles a day. It is important to me that when I decide to give up driving that I can maintain my independence by being able to walk, bike or take a bus to grocery stores etc.

It is too expensive to find a condo right next to the water, but, if I am within 5 miles of downtown Lewes thats OK with me. Plantations looks like a great condo complex and the new Vineyards at Nassau Valley condos will have stores within a two mile walk (which is just a morning stroll for me.) But, I would love to be able to bike down to the bay or over to Cape Henlopen state park on a regular basis- it is just getting accross route 1 - so I am also going to look at resale condos on the east side of route 1 to see what might be available. DE has great bike lanes on most roads and I am looking forward to next year trying the 7 mile Breakwater Junction bike path from Lewes to Rehoboth.

Mary2014

Old 07-29-2010, 02:35 PM
pvs

Quote:
On behalf of the many contributors who make that thread what it is, you're most welcome. We all look forward to hearing your thoughts after your trip.
Yes, I should have noted that there are MANY folks adding to that thread on a regular basis. Thanks to each of you! I will try to follow-up regarding our visit ... on YOUR thread, though - I don't want to hijack this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
For me it was love at first sight when I made my first visit to Lewes in 2009. This past May I rented a condo in downtown Lewes and averaged walking 10 miles a day ... DE has great bike lanes on most roads and I am looking forward to next year trying the 7 mile Breakwater Junction bike path from Lewes to Rehoboth.
Mary2014
I'm thinking WE'RE going to like it, too. It seems whenever we bring it up with friends/family, all of them have either been there and give great reviews, or knows someone who does. My wife has been a bit of a holdout, claiming to want to stay near NYC, but I think for the one or two times she/we actually go to the city, we can do it from DE almost as easily. She DOES need her "Macy*s", et al, though.

But it was she who decided last night to take a trip to DE this weekend ... otherwise we were planning to visit Davis Park on Long Island. Her decision was a pleasant surprise to me.

We both drive, but biking/hiking is always a pleasure, and we take to some trails in NJ from time-to-time, so the things you offer here sound very appealing, indeed.

Thanks, both of you. I will be around. Got a LOT of reading and research to do.
-Paul

Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,548,096 times
pvs,
I hope you have booked a reservation someplace, because right now this is high season in the Lewes/Rehoboth area and finding someplace to stay for the weekend on short notice is not easy nor cheap. Also, in the summer months these towns are crowded because they are beach towns. Realize that the other 9 months of the year it is a much slower pace.

Mary2014

Old 07-29-2010, 03:13 PM
pvs

Thanks Mary ... I figured it would be that way. But it's only a 3 hour drive for us, so if we can't find a motel room, we'll just go back home. We do all sorts of stuff on a moment's notice. It won't be anything new. We just want to get out and see the area for ourselves. And if we can manage to stay overnight, even better. But thanks for the heads-up.
-pvs

Old 07-29-2010, 03:44 PM

17 posts, read 48,528 times
Mary, Feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to tell you about our vacation.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 PM
pvs

Hi Mary,

OK, decided to take your advice. While we COULD have driven there and back in the single day, we thought it would be more relaxed, and special, if we got a reservation so we KNEW we could stay a night. Besides, our 10th Annivesary is coming up, and we felt it would be so significant to celebrate it while searching for our future retirement home.

So I got a night at the Comfort Inn at Rehoboth Beach ... probably won't be a "Honeymoon Resort", but it'll be a place to rest our heads.

Thanks for the recommendation.
-Paul

Old 07-29-2010, 11:39 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,772,358 times
Quote:
Could you please elaborate? Why?
I'm going to stick with my statement. I have been in the area since 77 and yearround resident since 93 . Every year bicyclists are killed . Some of the "bike lanes are marked betwen the main traffic lanes and the right hand turn lane. The 5 points intersection is dangerous in a car people pull to the right and try to pass or get around. Some of the nice quiet roads near the Peninsula which look like they could be nice are 2 lane with no shoulder around corners are dangerous for cyclists and motorists trying to avoid them if cars are coming in both directions.
It is a great area and I'm sure you could enjoy living here. Please enjoy the bike trails and stay off the roads.
I work in THIS area and it can be quite dangerous for pedestrians and cyclists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
PVS,

For me it was love at first sight when I made my first visit to Lewes in 2009. This past May I rented a condo in downtown Lewes and averaged walking 10 miles a day. It is important to me that when I decide to give up driving that I can maintain my independence by being able to walk, bike or take a bus to grocery stores etc.

It is too expensive to find a condo right next to the water, but, if I am within 5 miles of downtown Lewes thats OK with me. Plantations looks like a great condo complex and the new Vineyards at Nassau Valley condos will have stores within a two mile walk (which is just a morning stroll for me.) But, I would love to be able to bike down to the bay or over to Cape Henlopen state park on a regular basis- it is just getting accross route 1 - so I am also going to look at resale condos on the east side of route 1 to see what might be available. DE has great bike lanes on most roads and I am looking forward to next year trying the 7 mile Breakwater Junction bike path from Lewes to Rehoboth.

Mary2014
Huh??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware