U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 05:39 AM

4,129 posts, read 13,277,522 times

Advertisements

Thx for clarifying the first part of your statement - not knowing the area, I wasnt sure if you meant it wasn't safe b/c of crime or the bike/car traffic. Good to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 11:46 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 2,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Thx for clarifying the first part of your statement - not knowing the area, I wasnt sure if you meant it wasn't safe b/c of crime or the bike/car traffic. Good to know.
Ditto +1

Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 AM
pvs

OK, I decided to post this here, just to keep my messages in one thread.

We took our trip to Delaware over the past weekend. We visited Rehoboth and Bethany Beaches. They were really very nice. Loved the boardwalk and all the little shops! These towns were SO quaint and beautiful. We ate Saturday dinner at Bethany Blues (WOW), and had Sunday breakfast at the Penguin place at Bethany Beach. Sunday dinner was at Dos Locos, Rehoboth Beach. The food and cleanliness in all establishements was EXCELLENT.

We drove around the area, and into Millsboro. We saw a few developments, but I have to say that we are not enamoured of the places that rip out all the trees and build ticky-tack houses on the resulting level surface. It just seems so empty and open ... with no real privacy at all.

We also stopped at house "in the woods" that was FSBO. We were pleasantly surprised at the price of the house, and the size of the property. We couldn't TOUCH a place like that in Jersey. This was something closer to what we are looking for - in the woods, and/or on a lake - yeah, my goals are set pretty high, I guess.

Ultimately, though, my wife was not happy with the distance to trains and planes. The closest airport and Amtrak stations being about 2 hours distant, from what I could see. This is really a shame, because we absolutely LOVED the area, overall.

Delaware might STILL be on our scope, but in an area closer to Jersey. We have a LOT of searching and researching to do. I am glad we're not up against any deadlines.

Again, thanks for all the information you guys and gals have posted here. It has all been very helpful.

-pvs

Old 08-08-2010, 04:41 PM

8 posts, read 19,561 times
Be sure to experience it on a weekend in the summer. You may change your mind about living there full time. Traffic is horrendous!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:13 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,771,164 times
Thought this was interesting
Customers aboard the Cape May-Lewes Ferry can now get free wireless Internet access as they travel across the Delaware Bay, ferry officials announced.

The free Wi-Fi access is available aboard the ferry and at the terminals.
The new Internet service is the latest in a series of amenity additions and upgrades, including new flat-screen TVs, air conditioning, new deck chairs and improvements to food service, said Michael Porch, a spokesman for the ferry.

The passenger and vehicle ferry connects Lewes, Del., and Cape May, N.J.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 AM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marabeth View Post
Be sure to experience it on a weekend in the summer. You may change your mind about living there full time. Traffic is horrendous!
Yes ... we DID go on a weekend. The traffic GETTING THERE on Saturday was pretty bad, but we found it to be quite a bit better than our own traffic at home (NJ) once we were at Rehoboth, and travelling down to Bethany Beach and back. The roads were crowded, but the traffic moved pretty well.

It's all relative to what you're used-to, I guess.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 AM

7,332 posts, read 10,765,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Mary
I would definately advise against walking or biking to downtown Lewes from either one of those communities.
Walking or biking along Rt. 1 (Coastal Highway) to and from Lewes, Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach is just plain suicide. There have been some very tragic deaths along that strip. One very unfortunate one remembered was of an exchange student from Russia we became friends with. She was a server at a popular restaurant in Rehoboth Beach, and biked to and from work every day. Very sad to lose such a sweet girl.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 AM

7 posts, read 9,680 times
I lived in Lewes for 25 years. There are many communities there and taxes are way lower than New castle county.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:25 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
Default Loved Lewes!

I'm a Wilmington native originally, but I lived in Lewes from 2000-2002 and loved it. If you like trains and planes, then Sussex isn't for you; however, I found Lewes had a lot to offer. It's a nice, quiet town with relatively low crime and lots of outdoor entertainment. Your biggest concern will be theft given the increase in drugs and unemployment in the area. Oh, and nearby section eight housing and trailer parks. But, that's how Sussex County is in general--no zoning regulations. I live in Ocean View now and have the same problem--the have-nots steal from the haves, typically for drugs since the wealthy tend to live less than a mile from the destitute. I left Lewes due to getting married. Otherwise, I never would have left.

Traffic is o.k. in the town during the summer, but I'd avoid route 1 like the plague until around 1:00 in the afternoon. Luckily, if you live east of one there are plenty of places for daily shopping to avoid route one. And--eat dinners out early (by 5) during the summer, especially on weekends.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:29 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,057,383 times
Oh, and the doctors and hospital in the area are excellent. No worries there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware