U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 01:10 PM

24 posts, read 103,113 times

Advertisements

I live in Colorado right now and I have visited Delaware a few years back (Dewey and Rahobeth Beach) and I absolutely loved it! I am thinking about moving somewhere close to the ocean and I thought I would get some "locals" opinions on some things.

1. What would you say is the best coastal town (or small city)?
2. What is the winter like, I am not a huge fan of the snow but I can stand cold weather. On the other hand, what are the summers like?

I love the idea of Boardwalks & Piers (obviously not the key point in moving) but I would love to find some towns that might have this attraction as well.

Any thoughts, opinions or suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 04:09 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,883,960 times
Winter weather ranges from cold mixed with some lower temperatures and light to moderate snow, nothing like New England winters. An extremely cold winter, temperatures usually are colder down the entire east coast as far as Florida. Summers, mid 80s to low 90s range, mixed with days of higher temperatures sometimes with or without humidity. Last summer was awesome, mid 80s very little humidity the entire summer. Every year tends to be a bit different from the previous.

"Coastal living" can be found along most of DE and not limited to beach towns in Sussex county, Lewes, Fenwick, Bethany, Dewey and Rehobeth. These are limited seasonal economies if you're not retired. The most northern part of the state is only 1 1/2 to 2 hrs from the beach.

Aside for short trips of a couple days to week during the summer and early fall, I haven't resided there so I'm not a "local" and other posters here better able to help give info on specific areas for all 4 seasons, but I noticed the thread hadn't been addressed and wanted to give you some starting info. Good Luck.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:45 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,788,231 times
We usually have mild winters. However last year was quite cold and we had 2 blizzards with feet of snow.Normally only get a few inches maybe a couple of times a year. This summer is setting heat records. We will have the hottest July in history. Many days high 90's and humid. Temp/humidity index over 100 often this year. Many days it has been too hot to go to the pool. First year I have ever seen weather like this here.
I live 20 minutes from the beach area and have access to it all at a fraction of the cost of living in Lewes or Rehoboth.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:19 PM

24 posts, read 103,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
We usually have mild winters. However last year was quite cold and we had 2 blizzards with feet of snow.Normally only get a few inches maybe a couple of times a year. This summer is setting heat records. We will have the hottest July in history. Many days high 90's and humid. Temp/humidity index over 100 often this year. Many days it has been too hot to go to the pool. First year I have ever seen weather like this here.
I live 20 minutes from the beach area and have access to it all at a fraction of the cost of living in Lewes or Rehoboth.

Where do you live that is 20 minutes from the beach? I could settle for being that close! Also those weather conditions dont sounds too bad, alot better than CO winters thats for sure!!

Old 08-03-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar9 View Post
Where do you live that is 20 minutes from the beach? I could settle for being that close! Also those weather conditions dont sounds too bad, alot better than CO winters thats for sure!!
I live on Long Neck which is a peninsula between Indian River Bay and Rehoboth Bay. I walk my dogs along the bay every day. The community I live in is mobile home. There are also stick built and condos in the area.
www.potnets.com home owners assoc. www.pnhoa.com . Zip code 19966

Old 08-03-2010, 04:19 PM

445 posts, read 1,287,711 times
I live an hour north of the beaches, but am looking for the "retirement house" and I ditto longnecker's view. Dagsboro, Millsboro and even Georgetown (a bit further but a cute town) all have some really nice RE values, buying or renting, right now.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 11,665 times
Looking at Central Delaware for retirement ~ eligible now but need to do some research first. I also need to continue working to pay my bills off. I'm divorced and currently have a US government pension (retired from Civil Service in 2005 and moved to MD from AZ). My family is in MD but I can't afford living here. I've been to Milford DE and the surrounding areas occasionally, and I liked the "small town" feeling I had there. I've also been to Millsboro and Dover. Any ideas on the best place for me to hang my hat? I welcome them all. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:35 PM

There is a lot available in the Millsboro area. Think area and NOT town. Outside of the incorporated town limits there will be no town taxes (or services). We are close to the beach areas for fun,dining and or course Outlet shopping.. Great medical care from Bebee Hosp. Malls about an hour away in Salisbury,Md or Dover.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:40 AM

98 posts, read 137,850 times
Default meee too

Good Morning...I am at the crossroads of my life...I am a widow age 58 ..no children...I live in the Midwest with LOTS of cold and snowy weather..I know in my heart I no longer want to live here..I need to move on. I was looking into milder weather so I was heading to the West Coast however the cost of living there is a tad tooo much for me....I still need to work for a living because I can't get any of my husbands SS until I reach the age of 60...I currently work as a CNA in a local nursing home/15yrs....I enjoy the work so working in a hospital would be ideal...My sisters want me to move back to NJ but not interested...my one sister suggested Delaware which I really never considered but hummmmm sounds interesting....Any good places to rent in a 55 over community? I truly am lost.... any help you be great...thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or