Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times

Advertisements

I would like to hear from any transplants who might have some regrets, even just small ones, about either Delaware in general, or the town you chose to live in. I'm not trying to be negative, just looking to get as much feedback as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 08:31 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
I'm not a transplant, but I have to hear their mouths when they do move and regret their move. Here are the top reasons I get:

Boring (NYC/Phila people)
Insufficient salaries (NYC - NNJ)
Bad Schools - (NJ, PA)
Ghetto/Dirty/Trashy (people from "prettier" areas)
Conjested (people from very rural areas - NCCO)

The Boring, or slow thing is what I've heard the most. Again, mainly from New Yorkers who were priced out. Even if the people are from a boring area, they always tend to dwell on how boring it is, mainly because they're homesick.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,978,728 times
I regret that we decided to move back to the USA from the UK when we did, but that's nothing to do with Delaware per se. However, given that we did make a move back to the States, I do wonder sometimes if we should've moved to a larger city since we are both urban creatures (though I confess to being somewhat suburb-loving as well). The thing is, we wanted to be on the East Coast and most of the other cities and states have various disadvantages of their own, including harsh winters, higher taxes, excessive cost of living, too Southern for us, lack of direct air service to London, etc. Everything is a compromise and we prioritised some things that caused us to choose the Wilmington, DE area over other possible places. So I have some regrets that overall are minor, but no completely satisfactory solution as to what would have been preferable. We should perhaps have given Baltimore more serious consideration.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:18 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I'm not a transplant, but I have to hear their mouths when they do move and regret their move. Here are the top reasons I get:

Boring (NYC/Phila people)
Insufficient salaries (NYC - NNJ)
Bad Schools - (NJ, PA)
Ghetto/Dirty/Trashy (people from "prettier" areas)
Conjested (people from very rural areas - NCCO)

The Boring, or slow thing is what I've heard the most. Again, mainly from New Yorkers who were priced out. Even if the people are from a boring area, they always tend to dwell on how boring it is, mainly because they're homesick.
Thx Joe. I know at times we'll be homesick, but I've really just missed the NY of my youth, and that is long gone. I think the occasional trip back should be enough.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:19 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,592 times
I have no regrets moving to the US from germany - but if I would have to decide again, I would not choose delaware (we did not really have a chance though, since it was a transfer).
I find the people here very friendly, I am happy with the schools - but I am unhappy with the dirt in air and water and there are not too many folks who care about recycling and 'living green' - neither does the government.
It got better over the last years, but there is still SO much education to do and money to put in ......

Old 07-31-2010, 02:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,188,709 times
I remarried and just packed up and moved to lower Delaware 20 years ago. The only problem was still having family in Pa and the need for an occassional trip to visit.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:00 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,766 times
We moved here from Northern Virginia about 5 months ago.

So far, no regrets. We looked at houses closer to my husband's job (in PA), but anywhere we could afford the type of house we wanted would have been in the middle of nowhere. I sometimes wish there was more "stuff" around... where we lived in Virginia was perfect in that we didn't have to go far to do anything. However, we live in Middletown now and things aren't far, and this area is growing rapidly so I don't think it will be long until this resembles our previous town.

I was a little "eh" about his school when we moved here, but they finished major rehabs over the summer and now have all the smart boards, computers, etc that my son's previous school had.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:38 AM

445 posts, read 1,436,005 times
No regrets. Have live a good number of places and while I have yet to find utopia, DE lands towards the top of my list. Nearing retirement may have something to do with that. Glad we did the city thing at a younger age, experienced ski and outdoor heaven (Utah) at a younger age also. But when we came here at 50-something MOT area fit us perfectly for this stage of life. Work 1/2 hr, Beach 1-hour, DC 2-hours; pretty good setup.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,532 times
Woo Utah! That's my only dislike around here. The isn't much outdoor shoulder room that I was accustomed to.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 AM

347 posts, read 863,507 times
Biggest let down for me would be the schools. We have been in (Middletown) De for almost one year having moved from central NJ. Enjoying the overall lower cost of living, less congestion and friendly people. Adjusting to driving more to reach places/shopping/activities and the slower pace in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware