U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 10:31 AM

2 posts, read 10,194 times

Advertisements

Looking at a move to Wilmington. We found a Victorian in "Brack-ex" section of Wilmington. Anyone have any insight on zipcode 19805?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 07:35 AM

30 posts, read 109,100 times
I live in 19802 so I googled the zip code and I see it is in Elsmere. I have a friend who lives in that area (called colonial heights) and they love it. Do you have kids? If you drive east on kirkwood highway you run into a dodgy section, and then a better section as you enter the area known as little italy. Kirkwood highway area is congested all around, lots of traffic. What kind of info are you looking for?

Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 AM

460 posts, read 2,235,479 times
Make sure you get flood insurance if you move there. When it rains for days that place floods out fast. Whatever policy you have go one better and get the additional flood certificate.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:19 PM

28 posts, read 28,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna Leave Penciltucky View Post
Make sure you get flood insurance if you move there. When it rains for days that place floods out fast. Whatever policy you have go one better and get the additional flood certificate.
exactly, i was going to buy a big victorian in brack-ex before i got this same advice, be warned.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 10,194 times
Default Thanks

Yep, thats what we read on the FEMA site. Says its a High flood area. We do have kids. Is the dodgy area large or can it be avoided. As far as flooding goes, I wonder if there is a way to protect against water in the basement?

Thanks for all your help.

Old 06-26-2007, 05:06 PM

460 posts, read 2,235,479 times
You cannot protect was was built there long time ago. Even if it rains a few days the road has a tendency to wash out. Look for high ground. Of course high ground means $$$$. Northern Delaware is not a bargain by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:59 AM

204 posts, read 766,530 times
I think the flooding area is down closer to Elsmere. Brack-ex is closer to the Prices Corner area where I don't think flooding is as much of a problem (although I have seen the Prices Corner Shopping Center flooded a couple of times).

There are some really nice areas in that area, but there are also some really not so great areas. You really have to know which areas to steer clear of.

Zip code 19805 encompasses a large area, and there are some really nice areas in that zip code. I would hope you would have a realtor that would help you stay away from the not-so-good areas.

Old 07-17-2007, 06:06 PM

28 posts, read 28,419 times
after i looked at the house i wanted, which was awesome and a steal. I asked around at work, found a guy that lived in brack-ex. He said his house flooded often, and if it was a bad storm, it would be to his basement rafters........

Old 07-17-2007, 08:49 PM

125 posts, read 429,657 times
Hi... I live in Brack-ex, have been here for 10 years. We live in an old arts & crafts house built in 1916.

I've never had water in my basement, we have a French drain & sump pump. I carry sump-pump failure insurance but not flood insurance. A new project just completed by the state to widen the creek that separates our neighborhood from Elsmere has solved most of that problem. I live at the top of the neighborhood, 1 block down from Kirkwood Highway, there have never been the flooding issues here. If you are looking at an old Victorian, my guess is it is also near the top of the neighborhood, as the older homes were built closer to the highway. In the 1960s, Rt 141 was built, and several homes from the neighborhoods Westview and Gordy Estates were actually 'moved' to the bottom street of Brack-ex. Being downhill, they have been the ones hardest hit by flooding.

My friends are amazed at how quiet it is back here, being so close to Kirkwood Hwy and convenient to the ramp to Rt 141.

The traffic here can be a bit treacherous, but you'll love the convenience to EVERYTHING. The Red Clay School District is the best in the county, with 'choice' and magnet schools, and our property taxes are DIRT CHEAP, mine are $650/year.

We aren't part of Elsmere, but most people think we are. Elsmere is a small community, the only seedy part is over the bridge into Wilmington, an area generally called Canby Park. Since Elsmere has its own little police force, things are really kept under control (but buy yourself a radar detector!).

Elsmere is recently known for attracting Mexican Immigrants. But most of us like them.... they are very quiet and family oriented, and keep their yards very tidy (many are learning this from working with landscapers!). I think that since the Elsmere landlords have started renting to the Mexican families, they no longer rent to trashy thugs.

I hope you post again... to tell us what you've decided about the area...
where are moving from?

Good luck!
Mari

Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 AM

199 posts, read 858,479 times
Cool Brack-ex

For those of you concerned about flooding and the rare hurricane might want to ask about flooding in any area in which you want to buy. The highest elevation in the entire state of DE is New Castle city up near Wilmington which is a whopping 442 feet above sea level. If you buy a house that isn't sitting below the street level, I guess you could be ok. But I would still ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware