U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM

177 posts, read 604,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Why bother to emphasise that they were black kids? If you read the News-Journal you will see that a very large percentage of robberies, burglaries and other crimes in Delaware are perpetrated by young white guys. The social factors that contribute to such antisocial behaviour transcend ethnicity or the social construct of "race". I'm only glad they've caught these particular suspects.
Who said anything about emphasizing blacks?

If they were Japanese, wouldn't they be Japanese kids?

How about Russian kids, wouldn't they be Russian kids?

They were only using skin color as an identifying factor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM

1,820 posts, read 3,993,684 times
We just went to Rehoboth a few weeks ago. We love it there! We feel it is much quieter than some of the other beaches , namely OC,MD because that is where we lived closest to and would frequent.
We had heard about the robberies that had taken place, but honestly, that happens everywhere.
Unfortunately, we all need to be more diligent no matter where we go.
We feel Rehoboth is much more "family friendly" , not as many teenagers hanging out as there are in OC.(MD).

The beach always seems to be kept clean, it wasn't overly crowded but it was a beautiful week weather wise and in the middle of prime vacay time, I would expect there to be some crowds....
The restaurants were easy to get into on the boardwalk and we all had a really nice time.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,774,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers10 View Post
I was invited to go on Labor Day Weekend. Are the crowds too much of a hassle or has the high season trailed off a little bit? Crowds are understandable but if it is complete gridlock then it might not be worth it. Virginia Beach gets crowded but its infrastructure is designed for a large population.
With schools in so many areas going back before Labor Day it is not as big a crowd as it used to be. The Rt1 area coming into town can get pretty busy.
If you are coming into the area make sure you have a reservation. Do not count on finding something on a summer weekend.
Pay attention to the speed limits. They are strictly enforced in the beach towns.
In Rehoboth if you park in any nonmetered area you MUST BUY A PERMIT.
I see many people complaining of parking tickets because they didn't see the signs.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:46 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,304,045 times
I wonder if the unusually hot weather this summer has actually decreased visits to many beaches, including RB. I realise conventional wisdom is to go cool off in the water. However, most people just lie about on the sand like beached whales and it has been broiling hot so many days this summer. I know we probably won't go back down to RB now until after Labor Day -- just too hot at the moment (not actually today and tomorrow, but then it appears the temps are set to start rising again).

Old 08-12-2010, 09:00 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,916,517 times
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RehobothBeachDela_where View Post
The crowds aren't as bad like it used to be, vacationers coming to Rehoboth is way down!

Traffic is way down this year, I get around fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
With schools in so many areas going back before Labor Day it is not as big a crowd as it used to be. The Rt1 area coming into town can get pretty busy.
If you are coming into the area make sure you have a reservation. Do not count on finding something on a summer weekend.
Pay attention to the speed limits. They are strictly enforced in the beach towns.
I see many people complaining of parking tickets because they didn't see the signs.
All excellent information to know! It is preferable to not have to jostle with the throngs in what appears to be a pretty small town. It seems as if you speed through it too much you might miss it! I haven't been before so I plan on savoring the event. I'm not to worry about the "crime wave" or whatever has been taking place. I've never put too much faith in the theory that common criminals go on vacation en masse to do their dirty work.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,943,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoza2 View Post
Most crimes are committed by blacks.
Does that include white collar crimes? Try to not sound uninformed and you won't get called uninformed. Some would say you've been "refudiated".

Old 08-20-2010, 02:39 PM

287 posts, read 474,409 times
Default Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Why bother to emphasise that they were black kids? If you read the News-Journal you will see that a very large percentage of robberies, burglaries and other crimes in Delaware are perpetrated by young white guys. The social factors that contribute to such antisocial behaviour transcend ethnicity or the social construct of "race". I'm only glad they've caught these particular suspects.
I didnt really mean it to be a race think,I was just pasting along what I saw on the news,and still living in Cape May County,and love to visit and soon to move to Delaware,I didnt want it to start a Forum Fight.Also I really enjoy all your threads too.

Old 08-22-2010, 06:54 PM

177 posts, read 604,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
They should put up HUGE signs at all the entrances to Rehoboth saying!

"IF YOU ARE PARKING ANYWHERE IN REHOBOTH BEACH DURING DAYTIME HOURS FOR FREE, YOU ARE PARKED ILLEGALLY AND SUBJECT TO A FINE FROM THE CITY"

I worked for the city as a Parking Enforcement Officer back in 2005 and learned a lot about the parking department in Reho.

There were a lot of rules we had to follow with the emphasis on not being agressive about giving out parking tickets, always being kind to the tourists & locals. If we started tickets and the driver came running up just in time we could disregard the ticket anytime we wanted. And it NEVER mattered how many tickets we gave out on each shift. They had VERY liberal policies about giving out tickets in my opinion.

I had a great time and really enjoyed meeting all the people I came in contact with working for the city, but we also had our moments too from the out of towners!

If people really knew the expences the city has to incur being a tourist town, they would understand why they have to pay for parking in the city.

It's either pay for parking or pay high taxes, which one would you like if you lived here?

Thanks For Listening, BJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or