Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 02:16 PM

12 posts, read 12,807 times

Advertisements

I don't havde to live there to know. I know many people who live there and many who have moved to NJ for the Schools. I don't hate NJ but I don't love it either. My roots are here and that is the only reason I am here. But I know many who live in Delaware. They are the ones who inform me of the schools. Heck we have Camden in NJ. I wouldn't want my kids going to school there. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a few kids that come out okay. For the most part the parents must watch their own kids and keep up with their schooling. You can get the same house in Delaware much cheaper than NJ due to the low real estate taxes. Most people in NJ live here while there kids go to school. Once kids are all done school, then many will retire and move to DE because it cost so much less to live there. But the reason DE is not more populated than it is, is likely because of the school systems. NJ is the most populated state per square mile. Most densly populated. The small size plays a role but that is not all. Both DE and RI are much smaller. You would think those states would be more densely populated. But they are not. Likeley because of the schooling. Certainly not due to high taxes. NJ has high taxes yet still most densely populated. So go explain that.There is a reason why people raise their children in NJ then later in life are more likely to move to DE. They move to DE to stay close to their roots. Or if they don't care about that, they are moving to South Carolina due to the low cost of living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2018, 02:27 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Informative article on Delaware's population growth:
https://www.delawareonline.com/story...2020/86708466/

Old 02-05-2018, 02:13 PM

374 posts, read 517,498 times
PhillyDego, interesting theory. However, Rhode Island is the 2nd most densely populated state, and Delaware is the 6th most densely populated state in the country, above nearby states such as New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Ohio. So does this mean that Rhode Islands's and Delaware's schools are better than those states, as well as 42 others?

Not debating the relative merits of school systems, because my kids attended neither New Jersey or Delaware, but just pointing out that using population density as a means to prove public school credentials seems rather suspect. I am sure that there are many better measures.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:23 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I respectfully have to add that there are many pitfalls to living in NJ. Car insurance and homeowners insurance to name just two. To simply suggest that all schools are bad, is to take a broad brush stroke at a multifaceted question and arrive at a conclusion that may or may nt be true depending upon the variables.

While I am not familiar with all schools in Delaware, I am with some and I will tell you from the little that I know I am impressed. I am a former Long Islander, who was a teacher - albeit years ago and I don't take education lightly. Every state has good and bad and to your point, I know of no one that moves anywhere for just one reason. I know no one who moved to Jersey for good schools either, or NY. I do know good schools and good school districts that people who are considering a move often couple that desire with good medical or great community. Sorry but your point falls on my deaf ears.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:50 AM

4 posts, read 10,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyDego View Post
I live in NJ and I can tell you that nobody moves to Delaware for the Schools. People move to Delaware because of low taxes. Those low taxes equate to lousy public schools. I live in Jersey, I work in Philly, and I work with people from Delaware. Although we work for the same company, medical insurance is much higher ftr a person who resides in Delaware while it is like half the cost for the same insurance from the same insurance company in NJ. I have no idea why. I guess the state of NJ subsidises the insurance companies more, i don't know. As far as schools. The one person i know who lives in Delaware sends his kids to private schools and pays for it because the Delaware public school system is horrible from what I hear. I think we can relate the low taxes in DE to the schools and medical system in DE. If you want to move to the Philly area, most people will settle in NJ. Many of nice Suburbs in this area. And NJ public schools are much better than those in PA and DE. In NJ you are close to everything. Less than an hour drive to the shore. And hour to New York City. And where I am it takes me 16 minutes to drive to work in South Philly from where I live in NJ. Woolwich TWP is a new and fast growing community. Right next to it is Logan TWP and is also growing fast. Best place if you want your homes value to be worth something in the future if you go to sell. Logan TWP has the largest Industrial Park on the East coast. Due to this tax ratibles, the real estate taxes are much lower in Logan than anywhere else in NJ. And it is located on the Delaware River just north of Wilmington. 20 minute drive to The Philadelphia airport and s[ports complex. The only thin DE is really any good for is if you have no kids because of the lousy schools.
This has many inaccuracies. One the Delaware schools like the Appoquimick district around Middletown are 10 times better then many NJ public schools. Its also less then an hour to the shore a little over if you want to get to Rehobeth over some run down South Jersey beach. Moreover taxes on property are much lower, no sales tax (its adds up) and you get to get a much nicer house at 350 then you would in NJ. Just my two cents tho.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:34 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,314,343 times
PhillyDego you are generalizing areas and things WAY too much. First off, the OP has not chimed in to what preferred amenities and needs he is looking for in a place. The individual might be a recent college grad for all we know, where there is no need to worry about education.

NJ is a fine place. But I will correct you in that Southeast Pennsylvania has the highest concentration of top performing public schools in Greater Philadelphia Metro/Delaware Valley.

Not that there is nothing wrong with either DE or NJ. But just setting the record straight on that.

In response to the OP. You did not give much details but I would 100% recommend working in Wilmington, DE over Syracuse, NY. Wilmington is in the Greater Philadelphia metro, one of the largest in the country, and that is going to give you, more opportunities, more choices, and more accessibility. Its a win. win. win. Cost of living is slightly higher, but still manageable.

Northern Delaware is nice. I like it. As well as Southeast Pennsylvania.

S. NJ is not bad. But I feel DE or PA are your best bets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware