U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:51 AM

463 posts, read 1,141,509 times

Advertisements

We are looking into moving to the Philly area. I have a friend that moved there and he chose Wilmington he said because of the schools.

My question is how bad is the crime there?

When I reviewed the crime index it looks to be really high.

Is this accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 03:15 PM

295 posts, read 655,651 times
Hit search....

Old 08-13-2010, 04:57 PM

445 posts, read 1,285,657 times
All depends on the area. Here is the Delaware Crime Map

Old 08-14-2010, 11:54 AM

1,030 posts, read 2,994,698 times
There are two "Wilmington" identities.

There is the city of Wilmington, which has extremely high crime rates, then there is "Wilmington" as in the greater Wilmington suburbs.

The City of Wilmington's public schools are not good. I can tell you right there that he's not referring to the city. What your friend must be referring to are the Wilmington suburbs of 19810, 19803, 19703, 19808, 19804, etc..

These areas are hit or miss nice places to live, but even then, their public schools don't have stellar reputations.

You may want him to elaborate on the schools issue... but he's probably talking about the suburbs.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:34 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
Notwithstanding what Joe said above, there are a few good, safe neighborhoods within the City of Wilmington itself, of which the Highlands-Rockford Park would probably be the prime example, followed by Wawaset Park and Forty Acres-Trolley Square. The high crime areas chiefly involve the typical poor minority on poor minority crime in the usual minority-poverty neighborhoods. Those probably aren't places you would be living anyway. It's only a few ambiguous areas such as Cool Springs and Little Italy that may represent more of a judgment call with respect to whether or not someone feels comfortable moving there or being out there late at night. However, as Joe noted most of the affordable areas outside the City blight are in quite safe suburbs that are outside the very small area occupied by the City of Wilmington itself. Opinions seem to vary widely about quality of public schools. The Red Clay school district is well regarded by most people IMO, as are some of the schools of the Brandywine district (people seem to be somewhat split on Brandywine HS, but I know lots of younger college-educated adults who graduated from Brandywine HS with no apparent ill effects at all).

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM

4 posts, read 10,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubashawn68 View Post
We are looking into moving to the Philly area. I have a friend that moved there and he chose Wilmington he said because of the schools.

My question is how bad is the crime there?

When I reviewed the crime index it looks to be really high.

Is this accurate?
I go to Mount Pleasant High School so I know about crime here. The most crime is in Edgemoore aka Delaware's Compton. Downtown Wilmington, mainly Market Street, and Martin Luther King JR Blvd is full of crime too. Also, the schools in the Brandywine area excluding Concord suck so bad. Mount and Brandywine are terrible. Mount is ghetto as hell due to it being right by edgemoore, Brandywine I heard just sucks from a lot of people.The crime is nothing New Yorkish but people still get shot, knifed, and there's lots of weed dealers. Basically all you have to do is stay out of those areas and you're fine.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,291,897 times
If the above post were written in a more literate style it might be more credible. My advice: ignore.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:49 PM

68 posts, read 136,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
If the above post were written in a more literate style it might be more credible. My advice: ignore.
Speaks volumes of public school education.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:53 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,792,568 times
You're comparing an apple to an orange. You could fit the size of the city of Wilmington into the Philly multiple times, I seriously doubt the crime rate is higher, I don't care what statistics are saying.

Last edited by virgode; 08-20-2010 at 02:30 AM..

Old 08-20-2010, 02:14 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,792,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntde93 View Post
I go to Mount Pleasant High School so I know about crime here. The most crime is in Edgemoore aka Delaware's Compton. Downtown Wilmington, mainly Market Street, and Martin Luther King JR Blvd is full of crime too. Also, the schools in the Brandywine area excluding Concord suck so bad. Mount and Brandywine are terrible. Mount is ghetto as hell due to it being right by edgemoore, Brandywine I heard just sucks from a lot of people.The crime is nothing New Yorkish but people still get shot, knifed, and there's lots of weed dealers. Basically all you have to do is stay out of those areas and you're fine.
Have to say I haven't heard excellent reports about Mt. Pleasant, I don't agree with the assessment of Brandywine area schools.

You've picked relatively small but two of the worst areas, MLK around 4th street in the city and the minute area of Edgemoor on the city outskirts. Now compare this to the worst areas of a larger city such as Philly and the city of Wilmington looks far better in comparison. The weed and drugs.... guess where its coming from...Philly.

Last edited by virgode; 08-20-2010 at 02:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware