U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 08:50 PM

257 posts, read 532,040 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning on area to move to in the future to get away from the fast paced CT atmosphere. I have been to the Dover Nascar races and camped in Greensboro, MD right over the DE State line. I enjoyed it there but didn't really interact enough to get a feel of the area and that wasn't too far south.

Would the towns in southern DE offer a slower pace and some southern culture? Is the area liberal or conservative or not noticeable?

I am thinking that Dover or Salisbury, MD would be the best choices for job hunting? (automotive mechanic, truck mechanic, etc)

Any help appreciated. Im sure I missed alot that I have concerns about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:51 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,793,917 times
Yes southern Delaware offers a much slower pace . Living 20 minutes from busy Rt1 I drive past a cattle farm and on the back road many corn and soybean fields . Heading the other way my son pass several chicken farms on the way to schoool. If that makes us sound like hicks I should also mention that our High School ( Sussex Central ) was 1 of only 5 public high schools in the state to meet or exceed the goals set for the state testing program. Not so much a southern culture as people are moving here and retiring from all over.
I would stay away from the incorporated towns and look at developments or single properties out in the county. (Taxes)
The economy is a little off right now which is being reflected in the number of jobs available including auto mechanics. If you are a true TRUCK mechanic this is a large poultry producing and processing area. Many companies here have hugh fleets to service the farms and distribute the chicken up and down the east coast.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 AM

I was going to post this in the Lewes thread but this really tell you what southern Delaware is like.
Link http://capegazette.com/storiescurren...-baseball.html

The Lewes, Milton and Rehoboth Beach historical societies invite the public to enjoy a game of vintage baseball using 1864-era rules at 1 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 21, at the Virden Center, 700 Pilottown Road, Lewes.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 08-15-2010 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: added link - PLEASE link and a snippet only.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:36 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,324,048 times
There are demographic aspects of Southern culture in lower Delaware, such as the higher prominence of evangelical denominations and the lower visibility of Roman Catholics, Quakers and Presbyterians relative to northern New Castle County. The food in lower Delaware is also generally much less sophisticated - with the exception of a few restaurants in Rehoboth and Lewes - than what's on offer in the Wilmington-Newark area, and more congruent with coastal Southern fare. Except for Rehoboth, it would seem that Sussex County is far more Republican than we are up here in northern New Castle County. I haven't done any ethnic survey, but I suspect that the population of lower Delaware is more Anglo-Celtic than that in New Castle County, which has a large input of Italian origins, as well as Irish, Polish, Greek and Ukranian. Certainly the ethnic difference between upper and lower DE is true historically, even if it may have been diluted in recent years by people moving in to Sussex County especially from outside the area. The historically Anglo-Celtic and African-American ethnic emphases in lower Delaware would also be characteristically Southern (and to go WAY back, by the time of the Civil War there were no persons in New Castle County still held in slavery, while "the peculiar institution" still existed on a small but widespread scale in lower Delaware). But I've been travelling around Virginia this summer and even though Virginia is very much the Upper South, it certainly is a huge contrast culturally to any part of Delaware (I should add that I'm not talking about Northern VA between DC and Fredericksburg). You won't get the genteel Southern politeness and unassuming friendliness in DE that you can find in the Old Dominion (even though I generally find people in DE quite friendly, so don't get me wrong -- it's just not the South).

Old 08-15-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
There are demographic aspects of Southern culture in lower Delaware, such as the higher prominence of evangelical denominations and the lower visibility of Roman Catholics, Quakers and Presbyterians relative to northern New Castle County. The food in lower Delaware is also generally much less sophisticated - with the exception of a few restaurants in Rehoboth and Lewes - than what's on offer in the Wilmington-Newark area, and more congruent with coastal Southern fare. Except for Rehoboth, it would seem that Sussex County is far more Republican than we are up here in northern New Castle County. I haven't done any ethnic survey, but I suspect that the population of lower Delaware is more Anglo-Celtic than that in New Castle County, which has a large input of Italian origins, as well as Irish, Polish, Greek and Ukranian. Certainly the ethnic difference between upper and lower DE is true historically, even if it may have been diluted in recent years by people moving in to Sussex County especially from outside the area. The historically Anglo-Celtic and African-American ethnic emphases in lower Delaware would also be characteristically Southern (and to go WAY back, by the time of the Civil War there were no persons in New Castle County still held in slavery, while "the peculiar institution" still existed on a small but widespread scale in lower Delaware). But I've been travelling around Virginia this summer and even though Virginia is very much the Upper South, it certainly is a huge contrast culturally to any part of Delaware (I should add that I'm not talking about Northern VA between DC and Fredericksburg). You won't get the genteel Southern politeness and unassuming friendliness in DE that you can find in the Old Dominion (even though I generally find people in DE quite friendly, so don't get me wrong -- it's just not the South).
Thanks for the input. Coming from CT, DE probably would be fine. Im not sure many areas can be worse then the NY Metro area and where I live, lol.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Yes southern Delaware offers a much slower pace . Living 20 minutes from busy Rt1 I drive past a cattle farm and on the back road many corn and soybean fields . Heading the other way my son pass several chicken farms on the way to schoool. If that makes us sound like hicks I should also mention that our High School ( Sussex Central ) was 1 of only 5 public high schools in the state to meet or exceed the goals set for the state testing program. Not so much a southern culture as people are moving here and retiring from all over.
I would stay away from the incorporated towns and look at developments or single properties out in the county. (Taxes)
The economy is a little off right now which is being reflected in the number of jobs available including auto mechanics. If you are a true TRUCK mechanic this is a large poultry producing and processing area. Many companies here have hugh fleets to service the farms and distribute the chicken up and down the east coast.
Thanks for reply. Surprised by the mentioning of poultry. I looked at other threads and that was mentioned in many of them. Never knew that the Delmarva was solely a heavy poultry farming area.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:58 PM

6,473 posts, read 11,105,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Thanks for reply. Surprised by the mentioning of poultry. I looked at other threads and that was mentioned in many of them. Never knew that the Delmarva was solely a heavy poultry farming area.
Poultry, soybeans and corn. Most of the corn gets fed to the chickens. The big companies are Perdue, Allen and Mountaire. Perdue's HQ is in Salisbury.

There's a big diesel garage north of Salisbury on Rt. 13 and a Freightliner sales/service shop west of Salisbury on Rt. 50 (in betwen Salisbury and Mardela).

Old 08-15-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Poultry, soybeans and corn. Most of the corn gets fed to the chickens. The big companies are Perdue, Allen and Mountaire. Perdue's HQ is in Salisbury.

There's a big diesel garage north of Salisbury on Rt. 13 and a Freightliner sales/service shop west of Salisbury on Rt. 50 (in betwen Salisbury and Mardela).
Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me. Out of curiosity, are most of these farms family owned or mostly run by big businesses? Don't have much knowledge in the field being from a non farming CT town, all though I do raise my own chickens in a backyard coop

Old 08-16-2010, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewarthaas View Post
Thanks for the info. Sounds good to me. Out of curiosity, are most of these farms family owned or mostly run by big businesses? Don't have much knowledge in the field being from a non farming CT town, all though I do raise my own chickens in a backyard coop
Most of the chicken farms are family owned. However there are regular ads for tenants to live on and run a farm housing and expenses paid. The big corn and soybean fields are mostly but not all corporate owned.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Most of the chicken farms are family owned. However there are regular ads for tenants to live on and run a farm housing and expenses paid. The big corn and soybean fields are mostly but not all corporate owned.
Oh thats good to know, and that ad sounds tempting or it's probably a low wage job?

Another question I ask is the prices in southern DE. I have been researching and found out the land and home prices have gone up 164% or some crazy number like that. Would this mostly apply close to bigger towns or the coast or has this area gotten pretty expensive?

I most likely will be buying land in full, at least 2 acres and then financing a modular home for it. I am hoping to find land for under 50k. I have been looking on realtor.com and it seems possible, just wondering about taxes and wages in the areas.

Thanks again for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or