U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 09:36 AM

199 posts, read 857,757 times

Advertisements

To fromPA: The name of that park is Sandy Point State Park. Nice beach.

To Elizamary and rossc: I can personally attest to expensive health care and why no one should ever drop their health insurance coverage. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in March of this year. Between the urologist, the radiation oncologist, the anethesiologist and the surgi-center where my radiation procedure took place (all of 50 minutes), the total bill is between 15-20 grand. My health insurance premium is close to $300.00 a month for my wife and me. But if I hadn't had it, I'd have to sell my house to pay the medical bills for just that one procedure. If you're dirt poor or filthy rich - no problem. If you're middle class or close to it, you're going to pay. Elizamary had it right - goof balls in Washington. Trouble is they keep throwing up the same goof balls to vote for. You would think out of 276 million people, there would be more qualified candidates than the same old tired families. But, I digress. These are subjects for another forum. My two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 03:59 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,552,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
To fromPA: The name of that park is Sandy Point State Park. Nice beach.

. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in March of this year. Between the urologist, the radiation oncologist, the anethesiologist and the surgi-center where my radiation procedure took place (all of 50 minutes), the total bill is between 15-20 grand. My health insurance premium is close to $300.00 a month for my wife and me. But if I hadn't had it, I'd have to sell my house to pay the medical bills for just that one procedure. If you're dirt poor or filthy rich - no problem. If you're middle class or close to it, you're going to pay. Elizamary had it right - goof balls in Washington. Trouble is they keep throwing up the same goof balls to vote for. You would think out of 276 million people, there would be more qualified candidates than the same old tired families. But, I digress. These are subjects for another forum. My two cents.
sorry to hear you had a bout with prostrate cancer peeweeaz. Hope you are doing well now. That is one cancer that if detected early, the success rate is high.

We also pay $300 a month for both me and the hub. I was lucky to have carried my health care over into retirement. Not many places do that but I worked for Federal Goverment for 23 years.

some people have to pay $800 to $1000 a month just for coverage if they have it on their own.
I would have a tough time finding $800 for health care expenses. But I guess if you have to, you find a way.

Take care

Old 07-29-2007, 10:24 AM

199 posts, read 857,757 times
Well Elizamary,
It sounds like we both have Blue Cross/Blue Shield Federal Program Standard option insurance. I, too, worked for the federal government for 34 plus years.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:28 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,552,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeweeaz View Post
Well Elizamary,
It sounds like we both have Blue Cross/Blue Shield Federal Program Standard option insurance. I, too, worked for the federal government for 34 plus years.
Oh that is funny. What branch of Goverment were you with? 34 years is a long time. I went back to work after my youngest was 3 and then I was only a seasonal employee till my hubby got sick then I became a perm. My time in service is only 23 years. I never planned to be a full time employee cuz I really like being a stay at home mom. But circumstances changed that and It all worked out for the best:-)

Old 09-01-2007, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 9,322 times
Default Question for Tony

Hey Tony. I'm new to this. I'm from Portland, OR and looking to relocate but I'm not sure which part. For a 20-something, single female that makes less than $1800/mo. and is not into the "night life", what would you suggest?? You sound like you know you're stuff so it's only natural that I'd ask YOU!! Thanks for your help!!

Old 11-27-2008, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,445 times
Can anyone tell me what Townsend, DE is like? I am looking at a home in the Townsend Village II development and need some more information on the area. The homes in this development are built by Ryland Homes. Thanks.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 AM

604 posts, read 1,776,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4house View Post
Can anyone tell me what Townsend, DE is like? I am looking at a home in the Townsend Village II development and need some more information on the area. The homes in this development are built by Ryland Homes. Thanks.
Townsend was a sleepy, rural town that is gaining in population over the years. the town proper has right and wrong side of the RR tracks but more likely the home u r looking for is not even in Townsend although its mail address could be Townsend.

Have u googled to find out if that home -address- is anywhere near Townsend. Assuming u confirm that, the town is away from most employment centers - i.e. long commute - but relatively safe, in a good school district - that covers the basics. If u have specific querries , ask away

armx

Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 PM

445 posts, read 1,286,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4house View Post
Check with Ryland about the open land facing Route 71 in front of Townsend Village II. It's all slated for retail and the locals were in an uproar in Aug/Sept over the plans. I'm not sure of more than there was a real fuss over whatever the plans are.

Everything you will need will be in Middletown (Kohls, Wal-Mart, Home Depot & Lowe's, plus 3 grocery stores) or Dover (Target, Sam's Club and a small mall). The outlet malls are in about an hour away, near the beach. Not much in Townsend past the lone pizza place and a Happy Harry's.

Message me privately and I'll answer any questions you may have. I am a Townsend address, but live near Route 13, south of Odessa. Check Spring Creek, Stonefield, Cantwell Ridge and Odessa Chase if your looking for exsiting housing in the same price range. Good luck.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM

14 posts, read 43,766 times
Default Relocating from VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_Resident View Post
Thanks, Peeweeaz! I try to describe Delaware as best as possible from someone who is on the "inside" of the State. I'm actually a mechanical engineer.

Hi, JulieF. Thank you too. When I mention "fast lane" I was referring to someone who is young, energetic, and into the nightlife.

Living in New Castle County or the Upper part of Kent County would give a person quick access to University of Delaware, New Castle, Philadelphia and other areas for those into the night life. Compared to living in Dover or anywhere south of Dover, which is the Middle to lower Kent County Areas and Sussex County.

Also, Amtrak runs through Wilmington (New Castle County) and will have you in Manhatten, N.Y. in roughly 1.5 hours or less. My wife and I sometimes will take weekend trips because she is from Long Island, N.Y. and knows her way around the Big Apple.

And you are correct the NASCAR races take place here 2 weekends out of the year. I usually stay out of Dover during that time because traffic is unbelievable.

Tony

no advertising please
My husband may be getting a job at the powerplant in Salem, NJ and we'd be looking to relocate to somewhere in New Castle County, DE. We're in our late 20s, no kids, and would be looking to buy instead of rent. Does anyone have any recommendations for areas we should look at? I don't really know much about Delaware.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM

605 posts, read 1,139,016 times
How much are you looking to spend on a house? My favorite parts in Delaware are Hockessin and North Wilmington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or