Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,040 times

Advertisements

This isn't a pissing contest over which sprawl is worse. I'm not sure why NoVa, with almost 2 million people, would be relevant in comparison to a county with 500 thousand people.

My previous reply was to indicate that the area I meant to describe was northern New Castle County, comparing two time parameters. Northern Virginia is the definition of poor suburban planning, and really should not be proud of its infrastructure issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 06:12 PM

381 posts, read 1,365,849 times
I understand, but you were using it to say that my comment wasn't relevant b/c I'm below the canal (by a couple of miles). What I was saying that *IF* there's been a huge increase in traffic, it's still pretty much non-existent. Laughable, even, when compared to other metro areas. And I lived further from DC than I now do Philly, which has a larger population. So, in comparing the two, the traffic here is not bad. Any increase is not a big deal to someone who has recently moved from where traffic IS bad.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:37 AM

No offense, but, I wasn't talking about below the canal, because, most people I know stay above the canal. I can't speak on traffic there. This is why I reverted to northern New Castle County.

I originally made the post because of the fact that, 10 years ago, it was rare to have stopped traffic on I-95, Route 7, Kirkwood Highway in the past to the point where cars would block intersections. I didn't say "wow, this traffic is the worst in the country," I said that this traffic is WORSE (notice the lack of a superlative,) than it was before, which has been confirmed by other posters.

Contrary to what you may believe, this area is not the core Philadelphia area. This is originally the Wilmington-Newark metropolitan area that grew into the Philadelphia metropolitan area. It was merged into the Philadelphia Metropolitan Statistical Area in 1980.

I drive throughout all the 5 suburban Philadelphia counties as my career. Trust you me, that I understand what gridlock (I-76, BQE, Triboro Bridge, etc,) is. I'm not saying that NCCo has that, but I'm saying it's very quickly going in that direction.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 AM

445 posts, read 1,436,109 times
Congestion is getting worse, but I contend that building roads faster won't solve the issue. Much of the issue IMHO is the "the world is all about me" attitude of todays driver. That is why intersection get blocked, all traffic slows down for that "right turn on red" clown that should have waited and these heroic moves people make at an exit or turn because they were daydreaming. The inability of todays driver to think of anyone but themselves plays as much a part in NNCCo traffic issues as anything. DelDot can't build to solve that issue.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 AM

324 posts, read 1,220,719 times
Honestly, I've been driving around Northern DE on the weekends since 1997 and fullt-time since 2002. The traffic has always been busy on roads like 896, Rt 40, Kirkwood Hwy, Limestone Pk, I-95, Rt 13.

I just think that the OP was driving the highways at the wrong times or has rose colored glasses about the traffic views of the past.

202 was brutal and can still be at certain times of the day and year - the road construction from the 202/141 interchange down to the interstate has made great improvements along with the traffic light timing.

I-95 was always a choke point and there were countless days where I would get stuck from the service plaza or before and have to deal with traffic all the way up to 141 and beyond if heading into Wilmington - that traffic has been greatly improved with the addition of the 5th lane. When the funding is available for new Rt 1 fly-over ramps, the traffic will get even better.
It wasn't uncommon for there to be 1/2 hr or more delay heading in either direction during rush times or on the travel/summer weekends but now, unless there is an accident, you can get away to the through lanes and move through at 40 MPH+

Kirkwood was always busy in my memories and construction doesn't help much.

Another factor is that 10-15 years ago, housing south of Newark and west of Bear wasn't there like it is now...given the amount of additional vehicles using Rt 1 or Rt 896, I have to say that DelDOT has done a decent job on staying on top of things.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:25 AM

I think your problem is that you have driven the area every day since then. I left for about 4 years, and came back, and saw the difference.

You just admitted yourself that there are additional vehicles and additional housing, so I don't see how you can negate the point, even on "Limestone Pike."

Old 08-27-2010, 11:41 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I dislike I-95 and dislike interstates in general most places. However, I am always truly surprised when people complain about traffic in Delaware. Honestly, it's not that bad! Rt 1 obviously can be tiresome during the summer around the weekends and holidays, but that's to be expected. At least it generally flows. I do believe it would benefit from the addition of another lane each direction.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:40 PM

728 posts, read 1,782,649 times
It's like a comedian once said, if we could coordinate trading like jobs with people going the opposite direction...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware