U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 03:33 AM

7,327 posts, read 10,759,909 times
doctorjef....I really enjoyed reading about your daytrip....so well described! Someday, you must come to our First Friday in Dover. I think we're at the end of these for the summer, but there's one tonight, and we're hoping it doesn't get rained out. It's a wonderful stroll from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. - Artists, Artisans and Entertainers, then dinner at one of the places along Loockerman Street. Tonight, we're planning on the Golden Fleece for that. Link for Dover's First Friday is in the Great Places in Delaware to Take the Family thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 05:15 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,297,927 times
We probably will come down to Dover again soon on a first Saturday in order to tour Woodburn and see some more stuff, and I definitely want to try next June to get down for Old Dover Days. What's up with the Golden Fleece -- there were For Rent signs in the windows when we were in Dover on Wed? I had previously looked at their website and noted they didn't open until 4.00 p.m., so had written them off for lunch, but are they in fact out of business now?

Old 09-03-2010, 06:00 AM

I don't think the Golden Fleece is out of business. Guess we'll find out for sure tonight. They have Fifth Nation (a duo) scheduled to play on the back deck. We'd like to get a quick dinner after the Loockerman Stroll, and before the Lantern Tour tonight of The Green. A dinner alternative for us would be Fraziers on Mirror Lake. Smithers, LEX and Fraziers all cater to the college crowd after 9 p.m., but we'll beat that. Dover is popping this weekend!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:27 AM

Maybe you could find out what those For Rent signs in the windows mean. That's certainly confusing!

Old 09-03-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Maybe you could find out what those For Rent signs in the windows mean. That's certainly confusing!
Will Do!

Old 09-04-2010, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
We visited the Golden Fleece, and I noticed the For Rent signs are in the windows of the vacated barber shop next door. I even asked the bartender and he confirmed that the GF is not closing, and he was surprised at my question. Nice tavern!

First Friday was very enjoyable, and the shops had their doors open, and had wine/cheese, crackers, veggie trays for the public. Weather was very nice and artisans and artists were outside on the sidewalks. Never made it to the Lantern Tour, so we'll try next week.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:45 AM

OK, good to know! I didn't realise there was some other business occupying the corner of what I thought was the same building (?). Same prob for us, however, if the website is correct that they don't open until 4.00, as I wouldn't anticipate being around there at that time. I liked Dover but I wouldn't anticipate staying overnight there.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:03 AM

We didn't order from the menu at GF, because friends wanted to go down to Fraziers on Mirror Lake, so we all did. Happy Hour was still going on at GF and I noticed pizza slices and subs were in boxes from Angelo's Pizza. A closer look at GF menu today, shows Angelo's name, so it appears that you order at GF and they run down the street to Angelo's for the order and bring it back. Nothing wrong with that, but I was wrong in thinking GF had a full kitchen. I guess all is clarified regarding GF now.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:55 AM

rdlr, what did you think of Frazier's? I was originally intending to go there rather than W T Smither's, but I got a rather bad review of Frazier's from somebody and also on their website they had a picture that portrayed a baked potatoe wrapped in aluminum foil (something I haven't encountered in about 30 years).

Old 09-04-2010, 09:23 AM

347 posts, read 734,900 times
Awesome recap doctorjef...now we have more places to visit added to our list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware