U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM

711 posts, read 1,285,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Bussing/busing is a failure. Its funny though the pastor in Wilmington who fought for it in the '70s, now wants Wilmington to have its own school district.
Is there a link for this?

Tell me more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,137,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Is there a link for this?

Tell me more...

Movement towards a Wilmington School District takes hold

Posted on March 5, 2011 by kilroysdelaware

[SIZE=5]“Deseg was a mistake” — Wilmington City Councilman ...[/SIZE]

Back in '08 what was talked was just sending the Wilmington kids to Brandywine and Christina school districts, of course Brandywine quickly closed two schools and the Superintendent left for West Chester. These above were some of the latest discussions.

Old 12-14-2011, 09:25 PM

^^^ Why do you think it was a failure?

Old 12-14-2011, 11:07 PM

605 posts, read 1,138,160 times
Because inner city school kids who have no family structure destroyed schools in the burbs, and kids with family structure were forced to go into ghetto neighborhood schools... Recipe for disaster.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,137,859 times
Desegregation busing in the United States - Wikipedia, the

A sad day when P.S. duPont became elementary school

Wilmington has a big write up nationally when it comes to bussing.

Hmmmmm State Rep Dennis Williams democrat from Talleyville, who graduated from P.S sent his kids to St Marks because he has no faith in the public schools. Charles Potter councilman from Wilmington who's pushing for Wilmington to get its own school district sent his kids to Archmere, he also graduated from P.S when it was a high school. The graduation rate for blacks in the '70s at P.S high school was close to 95%, its much lower now in the four school districts the city sends its kids too. What a disaster for all involved especially the black community. But I'm dead wrong according to some people when it comes to the schools up here.

Last edited by James420; 12-15-2011 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: b

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Because inner city school kids who have no family structure destroyed schools in the burbs, and kids with family structure were forced to go into ghetto neighborhood schools... Recipe for disaster.
I agree the kids who went to Bancroft, Stubbs, Bayard, Palmer who came from the burbs had a shock for sure.

But what was far worse then that is when the kids at 17-18 years old from the worst parts of Wilmington poverty took the bus in to Christiana & Glasgow.

Alot of kids getting stuck up in the bathrooms with guns. I remember a kid being shot at the bus stop and so many other story's of the same.

This country is to rich and has so much extra money that there is no excuse for a nice state like Delaware to have a 3rd world city like Wilmington.

Once they end the poverty in Wilmington and clean up Rt. 40 we wont have to worry about crime threads on the Delaware forum anymore.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:05 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
Legend, there's clearly no political will in America to spend the necessary resources on the root causes of poverty (which political conservatives like to call "throwing money at the problem" and "tax and spend"). I sympathise with your indignation, but the last real attempt to deal with these problems was under the LBJ administration, an attempt that was cut short by the combined factors of the Viet Nam War, the rise of the forces of reaction, and the accelerating rejection of "social engineering" and "the welfare state" from Reagan onwards.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:20 AM

6,831 posts, read 7,759,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendof302 View Post
Once they end the poverty in Wilmington and clean up Rt. 40 we wont have to worry about crime threads on the Delaware forum anymore.
"The poor, you will always have with you . . . " (Matthew 26:11). The Bible, while not accepted by everyone as their holy book, still has some common wisdom that I suspect even many non-believers can take as truth.

If anyone has followed recent threads, they would recognize the well-worn and repetitious posts proclaiming (as if news to anyone) that there is some serious crime in parts of Wilmington. (Anyone who has knowledge of any other parts of the world would also know that Wilmington, with its rich and poor, is not unique in this regard, but I digress.)

I see you have now predicted how such problems will be solved, however: THEY merely need to end poverty. This is brilliant - only a legendary mind could lead us to a solution eluding the rest of us! This seems like a good opportunity to change the nature of the discussion. I would welcome your wisdom on just who "they" are and what "they" can do to achieve these ends.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
jm02, if you'd quote that verse in context, you'd demonstrate that Christ doesn't appear to have been making so much an observation about the inevitability of poverty but rather that, (1) the woman who used up a luxury item (perfume) to honour him was still doing a well-motivated and laudable act of charity, and (2) aside from this unique act of devotion that was being shown to Jesus, the opportunity was always there for the disciples or any other persons to help those in poverty.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
Legend, there's clearly no political will in America to spend the necessary resources on the root causes of poverty (which political conservatives like to call "throwing money at the problem" and "tax and spend").
I dont think enough people have the "heart" to talk about it on a a massive scale...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or