U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,300,467 times

Advertisements

It just seems to me that you want to essentially yell and scream on the DE forum about crime, but don't care to engage in any more in-depth exploration or nuanced discussion of the topic. I don't see the point. (cross-posted with JM02, and in response to Legendof302).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:54 AM

711 posts, read 1,285,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
It just seems to me that you want to essentially yell and scream on the DE forum about crime, but don't care to engage in any more in-depth exploration or nuanced discussion of the topic. I don't see the point. (cross-posted with JM02, and in response to Legendof302).
Okay, okay, okay...

Let's talk about it then...

I will tell you some things that i know for sure and also process information you share for positivity.

Working for the christina school dist has made me more "awake to the real world".

I can't escape to my home in the Pike Creek / Hockessin area stress free like others I know "out here".

Just because I get to escape to the suburbs does not help when I have to deal with kids shooting each other year after year after year.

I never here of these type of problems at any of the schools near where I live, Tatnall (private) Mckean (public).

And you want to know where it all starts...(Urban Decay)

Why Urban Decay? Because the kids that come from it have a negative form of apathy...

Why do they have a negative form of apathy? because they come from crap.

There is no random coincidence about urban decay and drug violence.

Lets be Honest...

Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,140,665 times
You may not have shootings at Mckean, but its certainly not a perfect peach so to speak. Parents wouldn't be trying so hard to get their kids into Wilmington Charter and A.I high school if Mckean was all that nice.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Legendof302, for years one of my main sources of referrals for evaluations and in some cases for expert testimony was the juvenile court in Travis County (Austin), Texas. I'm well aware the sort of backgrounds that many of these kids come from. The question is how to intervene preventatively: primary prevention, rather than so-called "tertiary prevention" (which isn't really prevention at all by the ordinary definition of the word). By the time they're committing one offense after another, it's pretty difficult to intervene effectively, and there's often a socialization into a socially deviant identity and culture in which detention, judicial processes and probation are just rites of passage that, if anything, are viewed positively, assimilated into the sense of self. There's an interesting project that is being done in England and that was presented at a recent conference of the Royal Society of Medicine. I may see if I can't post a link to one half-hour segment in which this very thoroughgoing preventative project was presented.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:42 PM

OK, so here is the link of which I was speaking. Please don't be distracted by the rather odd dress of the speaker. The neuropsychological aspect of her presentation isn't at all new and has been a well-researched area within the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston: RSM Videos | The Royal Society of Medicine

Old 12-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Default Best and Worst run states.

21. Delaware[/LEFT]
State debt per capita: $6,796 (5th highest)
Pct. without health insurance: 9.7% (8th lowest)
Pct. below poverty line: 11.3% (11th lowest)
Unemployment: 8.1% (23rd lowest)
Delaware has fallen 10 spots since last year’s ranking. It has the third highest rate of violent crime in the country, worse than it was last year. The state also has the fifth largest debt per capita. On the other hand, it has one of the lowest rates of residents without health insurance and a relatively small percentage of people living below the poverty line.

Read more: Best and Worst Run States in America — An Analysis Of All 50 - 24/7 Wall St. Best and Worst Run States in America — An Analysis Of All 50 - 24/7 Wall St.

This isn't a crime thread although it may seem that way, overall Delaware does pretty good against the other states, except for this crime stuff we'd probably be in the top 10, last year we were 11th. Overall I now believe something else is at work considering this state and violent crime. I think in '08 Delaware had over 50 murders, which I believe is more than 2010. Also rapes, thankfully have been down the last few years.

Can someone please enlighten me to how we rank 3rd in violent crime in the whole country and don't give me poverty since we only have 11% of our people living below poverty, that doesn't seem right either though. Are we getting heat from the FBI or something because of the Wheeler death/murder last year?

7th was one thing but 3rd seems far fetched I have not been a victim of violent crime in Delaware or Wilmington, neither has anyone from my wifes family ( well my wife in middle school was thrown down the stairs at Burnett middle school for being white but that was in the '80s so were alot of kids) who have been here from the '50s. I realize that we are a small state with a population under a million but good grief!!! Either the News Journal picks which violent crimes to print or these numbers are really skewed.

Does Legendof302 fix these numbers?

Last edited by James420; 12-16-2011 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: crazy

Old 12-16-2011, 01:54 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,849,198 times
I think it has to do with the size of the state's population. The number of actual crimes in a particular bad part of town is probably comparable with other major metro areas but there isn't a huge population in the rest of the state to balance it out like other states have. That's my guess, anyway. That's also why the supposedly best run states seem to be the ones that are mostly farmland.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I think it has to do with the size of the state's population. The number of actual crimes in a particular bad part of town is probably comparable with other major metro areas but there isn't a huge population in the rest of the state to balance it out like other states have. That's my guess, anyway. That's also why the supposedly best run states seem to be the ones that are mostly farmland.

I can agree with that, but it does seem crazy that our violent crime numbers are rising while other states seem to be dropping. Our per capita debt seems high as well. I'd say our unemployment numbers are average, but residents without healthcare is pretty good as well.

Two years ago we were 17th in violent crime, how the he!! did we get to 3rd in like two years?

Last edited by James420; 12-16-2011 at 02:15 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 02:54 PM

12,605 posts, read 28,041,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
People keep asking about how bad crime is in Delaware, referencing the Delaware Crime Map, and other.

Here's a Delaware State Police site which might be helpful for those trying to make a decision about moving to Delaware. Click the county you're interested in, then the monthly report which lists the crimes that made news during each month of the year in that county. If you still have questions about crime in a specific location, stop at any Delaware State Police Troop and ask them where they are the busiest, in regard to crime.
State of Delaware - Public Information Office News Releases
Let's try to keep this somewhat about Delaware and the above post.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Since 1960 Delawares three worst years for murder are:
1974- 59 murders.
2008- 57 murders wilmington had 27.
2010- 48 murders wilmington had 28.

After more research it seems that most states violent crime rates and incidences have gone down considerably since '05 while ours has just risen slightly and pretty much stayed the same through some years, so in answering my own post, crime really hasn't gotten any worse, it just hasn't gotten any better either. Another positive would be that rapes are way down since '05. To me rape is most heinous crime of all. Since violent crime hasn't really risen (only in robberies has it risen). I'd say we're in the top 10 or 11 best run states.

Last edited by James420; 12-16-2011 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: m
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or