U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 06:23 AM

4,492 posts, read 5,382,993 times
Default Crime in Delaware

People keep asking about how bad crime is in Delaware, referencing the Delaware Crime Map, and other.

Here's a Delaware State Police site which might be helpful for those trying to make a decision about moving to Delaware. Click the county you're interested in, then the monthly report which lists the crimes that made news during each month of the year in that county. If you still have questions about crime in a specific location, stop at any Delaware State Police Troop and ask them where they are the busiest, in regard to crime.
http://dsp.delaware.gov/pio/Map%20of%20Delaware1.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 02:08 PM

4 posts, read 19,297 times
Thanks, rdlr, for this link.
Am very interested in relocating to Delaware, but every time I start to hone in on an area (like Dover area), the crime stats scare me away.
Are things really that bad, or just worse than they used to be? Because things have gone downhill just about everywhere, from what I can see.
Thanks!

Old 08-31-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoNCto??? View Post
Am very interested in relocating to Delaware, but every time I start to hone in on an area (like Dover area), the crime stats scare me away.
Are things really that bad, or just worse than they used to be? Because things have gone downhill just about everywhere, from what I can see.
Thanks!
You're Welcome, NYC!
I guess it's getting worse everywhere; I can't speak for anywhere else. I've lived in Delaware for 70 years and we just started locking our doors 2 years ago, or so, but that was recommended to us for other safety concerns I can't go in to here, not because of our fear of local crime. With the population explosion in Delaware, and the Rt. 1/ Rt. 13 corridor through Delmarva, I can understand why crime may have gotten worse here. Even at that, I feel 99% safe in most places in Kent & Sussex Counties, of which I'm most familiar. It really does pay to know the area though, and know WHERE not to go, and WHEN not to go. I hope you get a chance to visit the area, see for yourself, and compare to your own area.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:54 PM

3,693 posts, read 2,115,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoNCto??? View Post
Thanks!
Great link I have book marked it. What folks needd to remember is they write about the crime. There is never a mention of the tens of thousands of us who live every day quiet and peacefully. Altough I can find stories about crime in my area my thought when I see a State trooper is to check my speedometer.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Great link I have book marked it. What folks needd to remember is they write about the crime. There is never a mention of the tens of thousands of us who live every day quiet and peacefully. Altough I can find stories about crime in my area my thought when I see a State trooper is to check my speedometer.
That's exactly right, longnecker.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:04 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,185,609 times
Default ...it's getting worse, but not as bad as it could be

Hi...I've lived in Delaware all my life (almost 36 years), and my husband has as well. I work with teenagers and my husband has worked in law enforcement for twelve years. He has always lived in Sussex, and I have lived in north Wilmington and eastern Sussex. I have learned about Delaware's crime by living here AND through my (and my husband's) employment. We definitely have the "inside scoop" on the going ons around here, at least in Sussex.

I haven't lived in New Castle County since 1985 and don't miss it. However, there are "good" sections up there that don't have serious crime issues...typically in the more upscale areas. Stay away from the city of Wilmington; it's a nightmare.

I don't know much about Kent County other than Dover has gang wars and serious, serious crimes going on within the city. I will not go to Dover at nighttime--period. However, serious crime does not appear to be an issue in the more rural areas of Kent County so long as you avoid certain "meth lab" trailer parks. Sadly, meth has found a home in little Delaware.

Areas to avoid in Sussex: cities of Seaford, Laurel, Georgetown, and certain low income areas at the Delaware Beaches. Oh, and Oak Orchard--I lived there and the place has really gone downhill. We also just had a cop shot and killed by a drug dealer who had a drug deal go wrong last year in Georgetown. Home invasions, rapes, assaults, robberies, and shootings are common in the cities I've mentioned. Most of these violent crimes are fueled by drugs. Delaware has a really big drug problem....maybe not as big at NYC or Baltimore, but it's certainly getting worse.

I have lived in Ocean View for eight years. We do have people from other areas nearby who come in here and steal/vandalize for drug money. Their drug of choice is pills at the beaches. All this being said....yes, we have a big drug problem in this state, but I have never had anything stolen here because I lock EVERYTHING up, even during the day. I know what drug addicts are about, for sure. And as far as violent crime at the DE Beaches--it really doesn't even exist in Ocean View. I keep my house locked because of theft, not because I fear for my life. I could literally run outside naked at midnight, purse in hand and nobody would bother me. I feel safe in my neighborhood. Anyway, I hope this short story has helped you.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:32 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,864,572 times
I can't speak about Kent and Sussex Counties, but I can tell you that Wilmington's crime is extremely bad. Many people will try to convince you that, because it is in Delaware it can't be bad (apparently only New Jersey can have bad cities.)

This is from a guy who dedicates himself to statistics (burgersub on SSP.)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...36088&page=246

This is from a post I read last night:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=15407931

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Yes, that's how I did the math.

In this list the first number is murders YTD and the second number is the total for 2009:

New Orleans - 122/174
Flint - 39/36
Gary - 29/49
Camden - 22/34
Baton Rouge - 61/95
Youngstown - 16/23
Wilmington - 16/18
St. Louis - 71/143
Compton - 19/38
Baltimore - 129/238
Although the city does much better than neighbors Chester or Camden, or most times Baltimore, it is a product of its environs, and, unfortunately, it's on 95, and cheap in which to live, which seems to be a magnet for crime.

The sleeper areas are New Castle and Bear. These suburban areas, most would suspect, would be nice areas without crime. However, their crime rates are extraordinarily high. I would believe this also to be a product of Delaware's low cost of living, low taxes, cheap housing, etc.

I'm going to get flamed, but, much of the people who haven't done well in NY, NNJ, and Phila have moved to the area because they have gotten priced out of their area, or because they want a piece of suburban America.

Unfortunately, I believe they bring their bad habits and ruin a good portion of New Castle County.

Good crime rate comparison indexes can be googled, which will give you an exact number, instead of some biased opinions to say that areas are either safer, or worse than they really are.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,185,609 times
To quote Joe:

"The sleeper areas are New Castle and Bear. These suburban areas, most would suspect, would be nice areas without crime. However, their crime rates are extraordinarily high. I would believe this also to be a product of Delaware's low cost of living, low taxes, cheap housing, etc.

I'm going to get flamed, but, much of the people who haven't done well in NY, NNJ, and Phila have moved to the area because they have gotten priced out of their area, or because they want a piece of suburban America.

Unfortunately, I believe they bring their bad habits and ruin a good portion of New Castle County"---

I agree with Joe, and people should not have a reason to "flame" you for this. I have a couple cousins who live in New Castle, and they cannot stand it. It's nowhere near as "hoodish" as the city of Wilmington, but your description of its residents is quite accurate.

I was lucky enough to grow up in the Brandywine Hundred area when I lived up north. Crime was low, drugs were rare (back then), and the schools were excellent. But--even back in the 70's and 80's, I can remember my mother telling us to "lock the doors" in the car when we visited her kin in the poorer areas of New Castle County. Lots of "gangster" mentality up north, unfortunately.

Last edited by beachliz; 09-01-2010 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: quote

Old 09-01-2010, 08:33 PM

2,305 posts, read 1,266,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I can't speak about Kent and Sussex Counties, but I can tell you that Wilmington's crime is extremely bad. Many people will try to convince you that, because it is in Delaware it can't be bad (apparently only New Jersey can have bad cities.)

This is from a guy who dedicates himself to statistics (burgersub on SSP.)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...36088&page=246

This is from a post I read last night:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=15407931

Although the city does much better than neighbors Chester or Camden, or most times Baltimore, it is a product of its environs, and, unfortunately, it's on 95, and cheap in which to live, which seems to be a magnet for crime.

The sleeper areas are New Castle and Bear. These suburban areas, most would suspect, would be nice areas without crime. However, their crime rates are extraordinarily high. I would believe this also to be a product of Delaware's low cost of living, low taxes, cheap housing, etc.

Unfortunately, I believe they bring their bad habits and ruin a good portion of New Castle County.

Good crime rate comparison indexes can be googled, which will give you an exact number, instead of some biased opinions to say that areas are either safer, or worse than they really are.

Actually Wilmington is keeping up with Chester this year, maybe one murder behind. If the person who was shot last night dies, then thats 4 murders in a week and a half. I expect Wilmington will be under a curfew like Chester was if this keeps up.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:09 AM

4 posts, read 19,297 times
Thanks, everyone, for your replies and information.

I've been thinking the same thing as you, Joe, that because DE is affordable, it does attract maybe a larger number of people with criminal ways. And, with this terrible economy and so many out of work, I think crime is going up everywhere. Even this town in NC, where we live, has gone downhill, in just the 8 years we've been living here.

Beachliz - I understand what you are saying, use common sense, lock everything up, and you should be fine. My dad was a NYC police officer, probably why I am so aware of crime issues, "law and order" was a daily part of my upbringing. And Meth is the new moonshine down here in the rural counties of NC, so I know what you are talking about.

I found this website, Spotcrime, (I don't know if I can post the url, so just google it) where you can enter your address and e-mail and every couple of days they will send you a list of the major crimes within about 2 miles of your address. I should probably just pick an address from a house listed for sale in an area of DE that I am interested in and have them send me reports for there as well. I find this extremely helpful in my town, because they do not report the crime here on TV or in the paper - they are still trying to pretend this is Mayberry and that Andy and Barney have it all under control. For example, it turns out there's been assaults going on every other day on the main street that is just 4 blocks from our home - and it's one of the "nicer" areas of this town! Good to know I need to keep an eye out when I'm at the Food Lion!

From everything I've read about NCC crime, I have pretty much crossed that county off my list, even though the location would be much more convenient for visiting relatives and friends in PA, NJ and NY. And after reading the reports on the website that rdlr posted, it actually seems that Kent County has the least amount of crime overall of the 3.

Another concern I have is that it seems to me that a large number of the transplants to DE who love it are living in 55+ communities. I don't know if these communities are gated or have security, but just by the nature of the age restriction, I'd think that most of your neighbors would be pretty law abiding - LOL!

But, although we are both old enough to qualify for a 55+ community, we own dogs and need to have a yard that we can fence, since neither of us is physically capable of walking the two of them 8-10 times a day anymore - need to just be able to open the back door when nature calls. So we'd have to live in or near a town and because we'd be in with the general population, that alone would expose us to more crime, so that's a concern to me.

I know it'd be safer/quieter outside of a town, proper, but I don't want a large piece of property - don't want to have to buy and maintain a lawn tractor and spend half a day once a week cutting the grass. Not crazy about having to deal with wells and septic tanks either - would rather pay a municipality for the convenience of public water and sewers. Just looking for a small ranch, 1000-1250 sq. ft. on nothing bigger than about 60x120 - any suggestions? I know that, ultimately, I just have to come up and take a look for myself, and will do that, but would appreciate any help in narrowing down to a few areas, instead of trying to run all over 2/3rds of the state in a week's visit.

Thanks, again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware