U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 07:43 PM

445 posts, read 1,288,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Brooklyn_NYC View Post
@jdoll - Thanks for the info regarding the new school in 2012, will that school be servicing the Middletown area. I am not that familiar with DE yet so please forgive the questions. I just want to have all the info I need just in case I do relocate.
Yes. Appo School Dist covers Middletown, Townsend and Odessa (MOT). APPOQUINIMINK SCHOOL DISTRICT The new school campus will service the east side of the district. Also here is a list of the district feeder pattern, useful in that it shows every development in the district http://www.apposchooldistrict.com/transportation/2010_11_Feeder_List.pdf (broken link) What the rest of the country call a subdivision is know as a development here. Just the local lingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:16 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,428,376 times
hey, Jdoll, thanks for the feeder pattern link ! that's very helpful and for some reason I thought, there is nothing like that

Old 09-11-2010, 04:52 PM

Glad to help queen Not sure what changes will be in 2012 with new Early & Elementary school openings. But I've heard Townsend is still crowded.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:29 PM

347 posts, read 737,093 times
The feeder pattern link is great. My 5th and 7th graders have over 30 children in their class this year...yikes! Wanted to mention living within city limits (in Middletown) that the city maintains our streets, etc. Even though we are in a "development" our HOA is optional. The only areas the HOA maintains are the entrance area, signs and rotary area. Does anyone have similar situation? I know that some of the homes we considered for purchase had mandatory HOA fees.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:33 PM

when my daughter left brick mill elem. two years ago, she had 34 (!!) children in her class . that was 4th grade.
by that time they still had choice-in going on, changed that and now (as I've heard) started it again ....

that was one of our main reasons to try getting in MOT charter school, since their class limit is 25, from k-8, 3 classes per grade.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonthemove View Post
The feeder pattern link is great. My 5th and 7th graders have over 30 children in their class this year...yikes! Wanted to mention living within city limits (in Middletown) that the city maintains our streets, etc. Even though we are in a "development" our HOA is optional. The only areas the HOA maintains are the entrance area, signs and rotary area. Does anyone have similar situation? I know that some of the homes we considered for purchase had mandatory HOA fees.
Mandatory HOA fees here and don't see how having anything but would be fair. Even if it is only maintaining a sign at the development entrance I don't see how only some residents paying for that would be fair.

Many developments in Appo School Dist are outside of Middletown city limits. HOA fees there are necessary to pay for mowing the community property/park, maintaining retention ponds and snow removal. In my development case these 3 cover 95% of expenses.

FYI- Outside of Middletown city limits residents pay their utilities directly to the servicing company (CkGas, DelMarVa, Artisan Water, etc). Middletown bills there residents and takes a cut for doing so. The hidden tax.

Old 09-12-2010, 03:20 PM

7,361 posts, read 10,799,487 times
Quote:
Wanted to mention living within city limits (in Middletown) that the city maintains our streets, etc. Even though we are in a "development" our HOA is optional. The only areas the HOA maintains are the entrance area, signs and rotary area. Does anyone have similar situation? I know that some of the homes we considered for purchase had mandatory HOA fees.
momonthemove.....In Kent County, we have many homeowners associations which are voluntary, mostly the older, established subdivisions, even in more rural areas. If there's no recorded document, the HOA is voluntary. When I sold real estate, many years ago, my buyers always preferred the voluntary ones, and wouldn't even look at the mandatory HOA properties. I spent a lot of time down at the court house searching for HOA documents, so my buyers wouldn't be surprised at the settlement table. But, times change and the mandatory HOA properties are more typical in this day.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:54 AM

40 posts, read 117,912 times
Quote:
Hey Mike. We moved to Middletown from NJ last year. Can we ask why you are moving? Do you need to be close to anything special? And...do you have a certain date to be moved by? Good luck with your search.

Mom on the move, we are also looking for Appo district similar to op, we are part of BRAC so looking to reasonable commute to APG but still close to get back to monmouth/ocean counties nj. Also looking for little league, basketball, soccer recreation areas/teams for kids. any suggestions? thanks

Old 09-14-2010, 10:01 AM

can't speak for other similar towns, but middletown for sure has LOTS of sports going on.
kids come here from smyrna, bear, glasgow, townsend etc.

football, softball, soccer - whatever you want

Old 09-14-2010, 04:11 PM

347 posts, read 737,093 times
tfgreen

MOT (Middletown, Odessa, Townsend) has plenty of sports for children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware