U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM

2,903 posts, read 4,587,509 times

Advertisements

I thought it was interesting that O'Donnell canceled appearances on two Sunday news shows. Hmmmmmm...

O'Donnell in old video: 'Dabbled into witchcraft' - Politics - Decision 2010 - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 05:40 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,905,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
Keep your FL Republican issues in FL please. The DE Republican party is financially sound and not wrought with fraud and mismanagement like the FL Republican party is. In Delaware we know what a fiscal conservative really looks like thank you.

If you had done your homework you'd have known Castle votes more conservatively than Nelson does on financial issues. Castles conservative ratings drop on the social side.
Or that Joe Biden completely smoked O'Donnell just two years ago. I realize with the rise of the Tea Party, the numbers would have shrunk - but Castle was a much safer pick in an attempt to get a Delaware seat red than O'Donnell. I still can't see her beating Coons, the state is too far blue. She doesn't have Linda McMahon money (or sanity) to help her either.

To the southern and western Republicans - call Castle a RINO and a liberal all you want. Truth is, he's not. Just because he is not batdroppings crazy like O'Donnell does not make him a Democrat either. He still would have supported the Republican agenda in the Senate, not much differently than what O'Donnell would do.

On a national scale, few people realize just what a Northeastern Republican is. Social conservatives aren't popular up here, they are more focused on fiscal issues. And Delaware, considering nearly two thirds of the state is in New Castle County along I-95, is a northeast state.

O'Donnell to me screams social conservative, way more than she is on the fiscal side. It's almost like the national party is throwing Northeastern Republicans overboard, which is a foolish mistake.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM

177 posts, read 606,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Be careful what you wish for Reho. The "same old, same old" politics has kept our democracy afloat for nearly 300 years. Any radical changes, from the Left OR the Right, are to be avoided.
And you don't think radical changes are going on right now coming out of Washington!

My god, are we in trouble!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 PM

4,088 posts, read 3,694,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RehobothBeachDela_where View Post
And you don't think radical changes are going on right now coming out of Washington!

My god, are we in trouble!
Electing religious fanatics and obviously disturbed people like O'Donnell is not going to help.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:48 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,204,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Be careful what you wish for Reho. The "same old, same old" politics has kept our democracy afloat for nearly 300 years. Any radical changes, from the Left OR the Right, are to be avoided.

This country was never in danger of becoming communist, but it IS, in my opinion, in danger of someday becoming a theocracy. The potential of people like Palin, Angle, and O'Donnell to rise to positions of power in our government is truly frightening.
What really scares me about the above individuals, other than their magical/religious thinking, is that they believe that the second coming of Christ is going to happen in our lifetimes...so what keeps them from hastening that by facilitating a nuclear war & taking the rest of us out with them?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 PM

445 posts, read 1,288,625 times
News Journal story of March 2010 Delaware politics: O'Donnell faces campaign debt, back-tax issues | delawareonline.com | The News Journal No witchcraft, no religion, so abstinence or any cultural stuff in this article on O'Donnell. And it was published long before the Tea Party invaded.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:24 AM

5,657 posts, read 5,629,356 times
Chiming in late, but major kudos for Delaware for kicking out the career good ole boy politician. Forty years in DC is a joke; he voted for tarp, he voted for stimulus, he supported cap and tax. COD shocked the establishment once, I wouldn't be at all surprised if she did it again. You go girl!

Old 09-21-2010, 08:58 AM

604 posts, read 1,780,309 times
Forum members may find that Delaware politics is not a dog-eat-dog game .....News Journal did its job to report (perfunctory) relevant info about COD in March '10 and did not go into tantalizing past comments (COD is a transplant from CA - via Claremont College - since 2002)

Most Republicans and News Journal did not consider that Mike Castle could ever lose the election to COD based on her past record {2006 GOP primary - 17%, 2008 general election - 35%) - COD won only because Republicans stayed home and ignored her. There was plenty of ammunition to go after her - but everybody who could do anything about it was lulled into complacency.

With the national focus on her candidacy, we will have to put up with the post-mortem with nauseous details that News-Journal wanted to avoid. So perhaps she will lose with a few more points than she would have, otherwise but the paper space would be devoted to details we don't necessrily need to know - Media always goes after paople with vengence that they FAILED to vet in timely fashion before.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM

4,726 posts, read 10,329,504 times
Actually, looking at the map of Republican primary eleciton results might revive the debate over whether Delaware is a culturally Northern or Southern state. The mainstream Republican candidates were supported in northern New Castle County, whilst Republican voters in the rest of the state supported the conservative-evangelical insurgency. This would seem to demonstrate a general "disconnect" between the overall populations in the greater Wilmington area on the one hand and those south of the ditch on the other. The relative lack of contested key races in the Democratic primary this year makes it impossible to draw any conclusions about the cultural-geographical differences within the state from any differences in Democratic voting patterns (i.e. more liberal vs more conservative Democratic candidates). In regard to the Dem Primary, I voted for Chip Flowers for the Treasurer's slot, fearing that Velda Potter-Jones would have been a contaminated candidate due to possible appearances of impropriety, and because I think the political future of Chip Flowers is generally better in view of his relatively youthful age and other factors. I voted for Trinidad Navarro for New Castle County sheriff because Walsh has occupied the office for so very long, is at an appropriate retirement age, and frankly also to help increase the ethnic diversity of elected office-holders (yes, there are plenty of African-American elected officials in DE at local levels, but the same isn't true for Hispanics or other ethnic minorities). I didn't vote in the State Auditor race in the Dem Primary, not having any strong opinions of the candidates.

I suppose most people will be aware that yesterday complaints were filed with the FEC and with the US attorney's office for DE in regard to O'Donnell's misuse of campaign funds. Based on what I've seen, I would be very surprised if these allegations aren't upheld -- there seems to be plenty of clear material evidence, and these could very well result in criminal charges against Ms. O'Donnell.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM

604 posts, read 1,780,309 times
The divide in DE has existed for ever - that is why the saying - (s)lower Delaware - coined by above-the-canal residents.

Above the canal population is urban-suburban in its make-up and suburban people there have their roots in Wilmington and I-95 belt. When travelling, below the canal people feel that they are home when they cross the canal going south. - Heard by me from several fellow travelers. Below the canal has been rural -agricultural for ever. e.g. a simple event of rain forecast is viewed with stark difference - welcomed in rural areas below the canal and not welcomed above the canal - the interests are diverging and the apparent disconnect -

That is why DE is such a microcosm of the US. Although red-blue map at the end of a nationwide election LOOKS mostly red even though Blue may represent a (e.g. in the U.S.Senate 59-41, 257-178 in the HOR) majority of voters.

In DE dem majority is generally above the canal (and may be city of Dover) but the rest of the state (and the tax-cut desiring upper echelons in NCC) is red - so it is not surprising that COD would get her majority of votes from below those traditionally red ares.

Last edited by armx; 09-21-2010 at 12:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or