U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 30,382 times

Advertisements

We are a young family who is seriously considering relocating to the De beach area. Obviously, we wouldn't buy until the off-season, but you can get more land and/or live in a resort community for what we would pay for a single family home here. We currently live right between dc, annapolis, and baltimore. We are looking for a change of life-style (ok, so I will have to give up my gym membeship to Lifetime fitness & there is no Robert Andrew Day spa in de), but we are so tired of the "keeping up with the jones's" and competative mentality around this area -- and it is only getting worse. We are a very active, outdoors family that loves the beach, fishing, etc., and we love the beach in the off-season. We looked at houses and communities in rehoboth and lewes this past weekend and were shocked at the prices -- the same as our area; however, we would love to have a "beach" house in a nice community. I will be a stay-at-home mom and my husband does medical sales - md, de, dc is his territory. I am concerned about finding an area/community with other families. Suggestions -- good or bad would be greatly appreciated. We do realize that moving to the de beach area has less families and more seasonal and retired people, but there has to be stay-at-home moms and families that live there. Going further inland from the beach wouldn't be an option -- way too isolated for me. I am used to a community with kids, places to go, parks, playgrounds, walking paths, etc. Our son is 2 years old and will not be going to school for a few years, but the schools are a huge factor for us. I did read the the cape henelopen (sp?) district is the best. Please, please tell me any opinions -- communities to look in or stay away from, etc. We did meet a few locals who have families, relocated & love it. We love the wolfe point community, but the prices are just as high as our area -- if not somewhat higher. We were thinking that moving to de would be less expensive, but that doesn't seem to be the case -- atleast for a community close to the beach. And ... what is with the increase cancer risk in de? Thank you for your responses!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 PM

I should also mention that we dont "have" to move to the de beach area -- we just like living by the water/beach. And ... the house styles are much more attractive to us than what you get in the cookie-cutter suburbs of DC. We just really want a single family home somewhere away from where we are now. Very convenient to DC/Baltimore, etc., but it is getting old. We have lived here our whole lives, we need a change.

Old 07-01-2007, 07:47 AM

113 posts, read 436,733 times
I'm sure someone will come along who's more knowledgeable when it comes to a young family moving to the DE beach area. We're just visitors (staying with relatives in Kent County) to this state, and though we've visited a lot over several years, I know little about the beach areas other than that the housing is expensive and that other people have brought up the fact that the doctors and hospital in that area are not the greatest.

That sort of thing concerns me a lot, even here in Kent County. I have 8 year-old twins. They're healthy, but illness and accidents can happen anywhere. I've read quite a few posts here on this subject.

Since you live not too far away, I suppose you've visited during the height of the beach season, which is this coming week right through Labor Day, and even much of September. We don't like the traffic and crowds. Off season seems to be busier by far than it used to be, but the times we've tried it, it's been fun anyway.

Sorry, since we can't afford to buy a house we'd like near the ocean beaches, we haven't really checked out the schools. My impression is that, overall, Lewes might be the best place for a young family.

Good luck!

Old 07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
rlk

1 posts, read 10,080 times
Hello,
I can relate to your post because my husband and I have just decided to move to Rehoboth Beach full time for the same reasons you mentioned. We have two young children and I am a stay at home mom and we love the beach and that area. I have also read that the school district is one of the best in Delaware. We purchased a home in Rehoboth and will be moving there in August. Right now it is such a buyers market that you can get a house for much lower than asking price. I know Rehoboth has a stay at home moms group and a great library that has story time. I am sure I will learn more once we are living there full time (right now we just spend weekends in the summer there). We love it there and I think it is a great place to raise kids.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:46 PM

957 posts, read 3,329,972 times
Do you want to be on the water....I mean, dock in the back yard, in a waterfront community with water access or just someplace very near the beach? When I moved here, waterfront (dock in the backyard) was the only option. If I had not been able to do that, I would not have moved here. I looked at land...$600k for a 1/4 acre. Houses on the same size lot were $600k to $1.5m.

You'll find some communities in Lewes that are actually advertising water front. When I questioned that, I was told that it is only 6 miles from the beach. Some build man made ponds and call it waterfront. A bonified house on the ocean or a canal will cost a few bucks. It is a buyers market and the $500k+ market is pretty shakey so that could work in your favor. I personally find real estate here way overpriced considering wages on the average.

I ended up buying a mobile in a water front community. I have a dock in the back yard and I pay $1700 per year for lot rent. I run a small business out of the house. I work in the morning and go boating, jetskiing or kitesurfing every afternoon. I don't make much money, but it's cheap to live here so I don't need much.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 AM

Thank you for your posts. I have read a lot about the school district and feel pretty comfortable with the education that our son will receive. And.... rlk - thank you for your post. I can't wait to share it with my husband. Your post made me feel a ton better. It is obvious that it is a buyer's market, but we have decided to wait to purchase until the off-season -- since we will probably get an even better deal then. In the meantime - we are looking into communities and need to meet with a realtor. Any other information is greatly appreciated, and Yes -- we would love waterfront, but would settle for a great community a few miles from the beach. rlk - I would love to know what you find once you move.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:01 AM

Unless you're looking at seasonal vacation property, waiting won't save you any money. If the real estate market starts coming back, waiting may even cost you money. The types of property you're looking at are being bought mostly by retirees from DC and NJ. They are moving here all year, not just during the "on" season.

I'm friends with a few developers and in their minds it is not a buyers market. I disagree. They feel that their properties will sell for what they are asking given the right buyer. That's true of course. The downside is that they have to wait for the right buyer, which they don't seem to mind doing, and they do eventually get their price. You didn't say if you are looking at new construction, but I think you'd get further dealing with a homeowner trying to relocate than a developer selling new construction.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 10,050 times
My husband and I are also looking to relocate to the Rehobeth area,,and have looked at homes in Pots Net,, can anyone tell me either good or bad if they live there,, we've heard horror stories about the ground rents there,, but when we looked at the homes,,they were beautiful! Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. We are both close to 60,, but young... thanks for any help anyone can give us.

Old 07-08-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMcF View Post
My husband and I are also looking to relocate to the Rehobeth area,,and have looked at homes in Pots Net,, can anyone tell me either good or bad if they live there,, we've heard horror stories about the ground rents there,, but when we looked at the homes,,they were beautiful! Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. We are both close to 60,, but young... thanks for any help anyone can give us.
I live in Massey's Landing, which is right next door to Potnets Seaside. The lot rents on the water in Potnets start at around $6000/year and top out at around $16,000. Off the water they start at $5000 or so, then you rent a boat slip and you're right back up to $6-7K. I left with a severe case of sticker shock. Mariners Cove is about the same. Some people are used to paying that in property taxes in other states, so they see it as costing the same as it was in their previous state, but now they are on the water, so it works for them.

The houses in Massey's go for a little more money but the lot rents are a fraction. I'm on the water with a 50 foot dock and I pay $1800/year. The reason the rents are less is because the roads are not paved, there is no clubhouse, no public pool, no security force on patrol 24/7, etc.

Houses in Mariners and Potnets are a tough sell because of the lot rent. You can buy a nice double wide on a corner lot with deep water on two sides for $60k, but you'll pay $1000/month in lot rent. That's a deal killer for a lot of people. It was for me. Houses in Massey's that go up for sale end up selling within the park before they really hit the market. There is one for sale here that has been on the market for six months, which is rare.

Also consider that this is considered seasonal, although I live here full time. Prices are generally more negotiable in the winter. Lot rents are due in Mariners and Potnets sometime around April, so that's a good time to buy there....Just before the seller has to write a check for $10,000+ for lot rent. Of course if you buy, you'll be writing that check...and don't forget to add the standard 5% annual increase.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:45 AM

49 posts, read 201,851 times
Our family left Pots Nets after only 4 years there (Bayside) when the lot rent went from $3,000 to over $6,000. Was too much for summer and occasional winter weekends. We were within walking distance to our boat slip (additional $800) and rent was due for reevaluation next year. There are quite a few nice ponds though.
Some of the other park owners has matched Pots Nets raises so look around and remember that the owners have no limits on how much or how often they can raise the land rents. Its all legal and in the contracts you sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or