U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 05:16 PM

45 posts, read 85,339 times

Advertisements

I retired in July, but my is still working. She is an OB nurse and has been for 34 years. She has a ton of experience. Just wanted to know if there are any nursing jobs for an OB nurse in the Dover area? We are seriously looking at Nobles Pond and the extra $$ could put our move over the top. We went by Bayhealth on one of our rides. Looks like a nice place. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 PM

388 posts, read 850,532 times
TomBee, I am in the same boat as your wife. I am an OR nurse with 36 years experience and (hopefully!) will be in the Dover area next year ourselves. I casually watch the Bayhealth website, lots of jobs listed, some for quite some time. I also have looked at the DE State Board of Nursing website to see the procedure to obtain a license - each state has varying requirements so checking that out ahead of time is important. I also have debated about cutting back my hours - I mean, isn't that what (semi)retirement is all about?? If some resident nurses would like to chime in, that would be great. Good luck to you both!

Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 AM

little eggplant, my wife is already working part time and she would be interested in per diem work at best. She has looked into the Delaware State requirements for licensing and it seems that all you need is a letter of recommendation from your present employer, a criminal background check, and some sort of fee, don't know how much. She said that there is no test to take or boards to pass. My wife just feels that she still has a few years left to work, she is 56, and the extra money would be nice. Thanks for the reply and I hope some nurses already working in Delaware do respond.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:14 PM

47 posts, read 164,060 times
The only place to be an OB nurse in Dover is at Kent General Hospital/Bayhealth. Bayhealth also runs the hospital in Milford but you can check the openings for both at the main Bayhealth website. Overall, they have very little openings up there. Is she willing to do another type of nursing? She could probably find work at Christiana Hospital in Newark as they are a much bigger hospital with more deliveries. I live in Dover and used to work in Elkton, MD in their OB department. They almost always have openings and would probably appreciate an experienced nurse like your wife, they are smaller than Kent but its a quaint little unit about an hour from Dover. There is a hospital in Lewes, DE- down by the beach- that sometimes has OB openings. I don't know much about it except that I'd hate to battle beach traffic to get there in the summer. Finally, Maxim, is a staffing agency in Dover that sometimes hires per diem nurses to do home OB visits for postpartum moms. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2010, 09:15 PM

381 posts, read 1,229,640 times
Not OB nursing, but a friend of mine recently got a job doing clinics during the day. She's doing flu shots right now. I think she's making $22/hr or thereabouts. I can ask her what company she's working for if you'd like me to find out.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:26 AM

camrynh, thanks for the response. Yes, my wife would like the name of the company that your nurse friend works for. She may very well be interested in that kind of work. If your friend would like to contact my wife please have her do so through this site. She can also contact my wife at lesliebee1@comcast.net. We will probably be relocating to the Dover area sometime next year. Thanks again for the response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or