U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 05:20 PM

23 posts, read 103,670 times

Advertisements

Hello, all.

I'm looking for a less expensive alternative to Greyhound buses for travel from DE to NY and back. I found the so-called Chinese bus online, but it seems that the last bus goes from NY to DE at 8:30 p.m. I'm looking for something that runs all night, or at least until 11 p.m. or 12 a.m.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 09:08 PM

347 posts, read 736,614 times
I am interested in this too. I have taken Amtrak ($$) to the city a few times since moving to De. It has been easy to park at Wilmington and reliable service.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:13 AM

12,381 posts, read 23,366,772 times
Be careful around those Chinese buses , and Megabus they have a spotty safety records and alot accidents this year. You can take Amtrak or use Septa to NJT to get form Wilmington to NY Penn or Lower Manhattan. Amtrak might be to expensive for you to use if you don't book 14 days in advance. However the other option 3-4 Rail lines will only cost 28.25$ for one way its very safe. The Trip should take 2.30hrs. There are trains every 30-60 mins on the 2 septa lines and every 20-30mins on the NJT line. The PATH runs 24/7 every 3-10mins.

1. Septa Wilmington/Newark Line form Wilmington to 30th Street
2. Switch at 30th Street for Septa Trenton line take that to Trenton
3. At Trenton switch to New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor
4. If you want Lower Manhattan take the train to "Newark Penn station" and switch to the PATH (should be across the platform)
5. If your going to Midtown or points North put in "New York Penn"

Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,000,829 times
I would personally drive to CC Phila, park in South Philly, take the subway downtown and take the Chinatown to NY for $20 RT. I actually park a few blocks away, but I'm pretty good with where they won't tow me.

Your other options are Amtrak ($$$) Greyhound, and New Jersey Transit. The best options are Chinatown or Amtrak, depending on your checking account balance.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:16 AM

2 posts, read 13,538 times
There is a website called gotobus.com. Roundtrip from Wilmington to NYC is $35.00

Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM

23 posts, read 103,670 times
Wow, thanks for the replies! I will look these up.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:34 PM

12,617 posts, read 28,091,807 times
My daughter regularly used Bolt and Megabus to Philadelphia from NYC. The further in advance you purchase your ticket, the lower the price. megabus US - Home Here's the Bolt bus site: https://www.boltbus.com/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:01 PM

693 posts, read 2,615,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my own boss View Post
There is a website called gotobus.com. Roundtrip from Wilmington to NYC is $35.00
I took this trip twice. There is a shuttle which can take you to Wilmington from Dover.
My last return trip was a bit scary though. I was traveling home with two friends but we were the only English speaking people on the bus. The driver took us through unfamiliar neighborhoods near Wilmington and added 25 minutes to the commute. Because we couldn't communicate, we had no way of knowing what was happening. I contacted the company the next day and they simply replied that the shuttle is complementary and it is up to the driver's discretion what route is taken and who rides the bus. Just thought I'd clue you in if you use the shuttle.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,426,742 times
I took the bus from wilmington to times square NYC - great experience, totally mixed folks, one stop to get a coffee, 35 dollars ! I took the greyhound before, approx. $ 100, same service. both ways absolutely on time.
my bus was called 'double happiness'

AA Bus - Reliable transportation between New York and Albany, Baltimore, Norfolk, Newprot News, Kingston, Wilmington, Smyrna and Dover.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:04 AM

12,617 posts, read 28,091,807 times
And you can take the Bolt bus for $8 from PHL to NYC if you purchase your ticket early enough. Free wifi and roomy seats

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or