Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 07:29 AM

10 posts, read 18,175 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a new job that will involve him traveling, and would give us the option of living in Delaware, Maryland, or Pennsylvania. We are from New York and don't know much about any of these states. We want these factors in our decision: Quality of Life & Financial. Anyone have any insight. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:51 AM

604 posts, read 2,005,076 times
Financially speaking Delaware is the most desirable - without any dobt - location and as to quality of life --- it is what your priorities are and how well do you know how to enjoy the surroundings you find yourself in.....

You can't find NYC lifestyle in DE because you are not paying NYC costs .... and if you want to visit big apple it is only a day trip - 3 hours away driving or shorter if you visit by Amtrak.

You may want to visit other threads that address what is there to do in DE .... and you may find that compared to NYC there is not much to do but there would be four metro areas to choose from within three-hour drive.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:57 AM

10 posts, read 18,175 times
My husband and I just want to settle down , have a family, and buy a home in the next 2 years. We love that it's only 3 hrs from NYC, and we can visit family anytime. But right now we just want to settle down, and get what we pay for. Right now we have a 1 bedroom that we pay $1300 for, the company I work for has an office in Wilmington, so I would try to get a transfer.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:38 PM

297 posts, read 741,046 times
I can't speak to quality of life in PA and MA, but I can tell you that hands down, you'll get the most bang for your buck in DE. Housing prices seemed slightly lower in DE, but the property taxes are considerably lower. Gas is lower. Etc, etc.

I've been happy with quality of life in DE having moved here from NoVa in March. Proximity to shopping and activities isn't as close in Northern DE as it was in NoVa, but I do love living here. Also, like you said, NYC is 3 hours away, Philly is an hour away, and there are plenty of other places within and hour/90 minutes to check out if you get bored in the area.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:41 PM

445 posts, read 1,431,933 times
This former Chicagoan loves living near Middletown, DE. Quiet lifestyle, we know all our neighbors, shopping close by, $300k for four bedroom home, $2k in property taxes and zero sales tax. But when we want the city it's only 1 hr to Philly, 2 hrs to DC and 3 hrs to NYC; day trips all.

Flying? PHL 50 mins, BWI 1 hr-45min and EWR 2 hrs. Beaches? 1hr 15mins to Lewes and 1hr 45 to Bethany Beach. People rag on DE all the time; for us we have Utopia. If your plan is to build a family and a good life Middletown area is the place IMHO.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:24 PM

297 posts, read 741,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
This former Chicagoan loves living near Middletown, DE. Quiet lifestyle, we know all our neighbors, shopping close by, $300k for four bedroom home, $2k in property taxes and zero sales tax. But when we want the city it's only 1 hr to Philly, 2 hrs to DC and 3 hrs to NYC; day trips all.

Flying? PHL 50 mins, BWI 1 hr-45min and EWR 2 hrs. Beaches? 1hr 15mins to Lewes and 1hr 45 to Bethany Beach. People rag on DE all the time; for us we have Utopia. If your plan is to build a family and a good life Middletown area is the place IMHO.
I totally agree. I really enjoy Middletown.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,405,311 times
Move to North Wilmington, and Phila becomes 20 mins, NYC 1.45 hours, and gives you two beaches... Jersey and Delaware. Plenty of people like Middletown. By far, Delaware is the best bang for your buck.

Good luck.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:00 PM

4 posts, read 12,490 times
Avoid southern and central Delaware at all costs. Been here for 20 years and felt like I died. Came for my children from NY. Wanted them safe and was told schools were good....they are terrible! Had to send to a private school. Would never move to mid or lower Delaware even if i as given a free house.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:35 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,938,852 times
This fido person has been quite busy in the last 24 hrs. Yes, I'd second a recommendation for New Castle County in the north of the state, and especially northern New Castle County (Middletown, frankly, exemplifies much of what I dislike about America and resembles north Dallas about 40 years ago). Never take recommendations from someone who so vociferously has an axe to grind against a place. Delaware is well located on the eastern seaboard, close to the Philly airport (at least here in the north), pretty, fairly well-run, very low taxes. If you prefer a somewhat urban/suburban environment, definitely come to northern New Castle County. If you like living in small town USA or in the sticks, go to Kent or Sussex counties.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,535,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fido44 View Post
Avoid southern and central Delaware at all costs. Been here for 20 years and felt like I died. Came for my children from NY. Wanted them safe and was told schools were good....they are terrible! Had to send to a private school. Would never move to mid or lower Delaware even if i as given a free house.
Fido44,
OK, it is obvious from your multiple posts that you hate rural Delaware. I understand how you must feel, because I am just the opposite and hate being in a city. There is no job and no amount of money that would be enough for me to live in Philly, NYC or Wash DC - let alone spend 20 years living in a place I hate.

So, what keeps you in DE? If you have a job and are trying to stick it out 2 or 3 more years to get a pension - I could see why you might have to stay a little longer. But, if you still have 10 or 20 years before you retire why are you not out job hunting in an area where you want to live? There is no way I would spend that much time living someplace that made me that unhappy.

Where do you want to live and why? If you have a spouse, is your spouse as un happy as you are living in DE? I would certainly not suffer for 20 years living someplace that made me as unhappy as you appear to be from your posts.

So, where do you want to live and what is stopping you from making the move?

Mary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware