U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 01:41 PM

6 posts, read 11,780 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. This is my 2nd post, I find these forums a great place for info. I have been looking at the Seaford area. I like the river side towns. I would like to find a house with water front or nearby. I want to visit in about two weeks . Is Seaford a good place to start? Live in north Jersey, by way of Virginia. Not in to the 55+ scene, only because I like the country and quiet. I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 11,321 times
Seaford is known for its drugs!! Locals are ignorant and just different. been living in DelaNOwhere for 20 years and can not wait to get out. Healthcare is terrible......my husband is a doctor and I would not go to any of the Docs here. AVOID delaware at all costs. It has nothing unless you want to die here.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
I don't know Seaford, though I do know by way of the MLS that there have been some amazing real estate deals around there. That part of the DelMarVa penninsula is pretty backwoods, perhaps even more so across the state line in MD. There are spotty drug problems and other crime around DE, as anywhere. Seaford really isn't on the water, I think. Fido certainly overstates negatives about DE. I've found it a decent place to be over the past three years I've lived here, though I live at the very northern top of north New Castle County and my priorities may be a bit different from many of the folks who post here.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:15 AM

1,767 posts, read 3,054,163 times
My husband was born and raised in Seaford, and his family is about as "local redneck" as they come. I would not work for that school district, nor would I allow my son to attend school there--at least not past elementary school. Too many areas (even developments not within town limits) are very "hoodish" and drugs and violence are rampant; this is why my husband left the area and moved to the beach to be with me. LOTS of rednecks in Seaford as well. Some people like this fact, and some people don't. It all depends on what type of lifestyle you're looking for. Personally, I wouldn't live in Seaford if somebody gave me a free house, but that's just me.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 13,508 times
It's true: there are a few isolated blocks and roads of Seaford and nearby Blades that have earned their reputations as either 'redneck' or 'hoodish'. The major drug problem, however, began to subside in the early 90's after an expose' on the town's crack cocaine infestation on 60 Minutes. My family is currently raising three white children and three adopted black children and they have found exceptional diversity and little in the way of dirty looks or upturned noses. As far as the school system goes, Sussex Tech is always an option for high school and there are several private schools in the area that remain reasonably affordable. Seaford is 30 minutes from the beach, 15 minutes from the nearest college, in Georgetown, and about 45 minutes from two sizable cities in Salisbury and Dover. It's a pretty good place. And there's a little bit of waterfront near the river that runs right through the middle of historic downtown.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:19 PM

4,726 posts, read 10,294,023 times
You reply to a thread that hasn't been active for two years? Well, in any case, how can you term Dover and Salisbury "sizeable cities"? "Relatively larger population centres" might be more to the point.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 AM

2 posts, read 7,051 times
my husband and i movd to seaford , after living in salisbury and didn't like it there. we lived in va many years. so far we like it here, though i noticed alot of the people are not friendly to newcomers. its hard to make friends here. they willsay hi when they see you and thats it.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 AM

6,832 posts, read 7,759,083 times
I am probably more familiar with Seaford than most regular posters here, having grown up there. Although I haven't lived there since high school, my parents still do and I visit them routinely since moving to Philly after retirement a few years back.

The town itself has a population of roughly 7000 folks, but around 21,000 people live in the Seaford zip code - a good way to gauge the true populations of the various towns in southern Delaware. Whether or not it counts LOTS of rednecks among these numbers as an earlier poster claims depends upon how one chooses to judge and label others. It is located on water (the Nanticoke River) which runs through the center of town. Today, there are homes worth more than $1 million on this river just south of the town limits. This link shows the river and Blades marina in the center of town: http://goo.gl/maps/P6vm2. Here is a picture of the downtown river park:

Seaford has changed since I was a youth with the gradual exit of the DuPont factory and its 4000 employees, including the many PhDs who helped invent and refine nylon production. I remember a quote from someone in a newspaper article years ago along the lines of "We've gone from a DuPont town to a Walmart town." I think that sums it up nicely. In essence, it is now more typical of most small towns.

Although it is often a cliche, in the case of Seaford it is true that the town today is pretty much one divided by the railroad tracks. The sections east of the tracks are generally not as well-maintianed as those west of the tracks. There are exceptions in each instance, of course. This rule doesn't apply to the unincorporated areas, which range from mobile home parks to the million dollar homes previously mentioned. The old downtown, east of the tracks, is not completely empty but does have its share of vacant store fronts these days with the arrival of big box stores and chain restaurants on Route 13. Again - the story of many small towns.

The school system has declined to one of the worst rated in the state under the tenure of a superintendent who stayed in place for nearly three decades (New superintendent aims to build community bridge). Since the arrival of a new leader last year, the voters have approved school bonds and the high school is being completely refurbished and expanded in time for the upcoming school year. Time will tell whether he is able to turn the school district's performance around.

Finally, as to the "friendliness" of Seaford, I have limited data. It was quite friendly when I lived there and my parent's friends are very warm to me and my partner. But small towns where people all send their children to the same schools would foster those kind of relationships. Churches abound in Seaford and many adult friendships develop there. There's an art league, historical society, garden club, and senior center that I know of, as well as Lions, Elks, Soroptimists, Masons and such. It may take longer to get plugged into Seaford these days, so I can't speak further to this.

I realize this is an old thread, but I thought this information might be beneficial for future reference.

[Note to moderator: All pictures are mine]

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 08-20-2013 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: add photos

Old 09-02-2013, 01:24 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,765,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
The school system has declined to one of the worst rated in the state under the tenure of a superintendent who stayed in place for nearly three decades (New superintendent aims to build community bridge). Since the arrival of a new leader last year, the voters have approved school bonds and the high school is being completely refurbished and expanded in time for the upcoming school year. Time will tell whether he is able to turn the school district's performance around.
Seaford Schools have not had a good rep for a while. Just want to point out the for high school Sussex Tech is an option and Sussex Academy is expanding from a middle school to include high school. They have out standing goals
http://capegazette.villagesoup.com/p...w-year/1048703

Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,158 times
Was going to move there, but I guess not now.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware