U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2010, 04:28 PM

7,368 posts, read 10,809,947 times

Advertisements

Just a reminder to keep your eyes open for deer being flushed out of wooded areas, all over the state. It's deer hunting season, and the most popular choice for hunting deer is shotgun, going on right now, Nov. 12th to Nov. 20th. I've seen herds of deer charging through open fields this season, along with a few along the roadway, ready to bolt out. Be careful out there.

After Nov. 20th, it's not over. Here's a link showing hunting season dates.
http://www.fw.delaware.gov/Hunting/Pages/HuntingSeasons.aspx (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 08:50 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,561,650 times
Riddle or serious question? - "Why does the deer cross the road?" Well, to get to the other side of course. Has anyone else besided me noticed a pattern from which direction they will cross the road?

It seems in the early morning drive time the deer are heading for water. So, if when I am driving to work a stream is on my right, I can expect the deer to jump across the road from the driver's side of the car to the passanger side. If the stream is on my left the opposite is true 90% of the time.

On my way home in th evening deer seem to head away from the water and toward higher ground. So, in the evening, if the stream is on my left the deer are likely to cross from left to right the majority of the time.

Why is the direction they are heading important? It gives me a slightly improved chance of knowing from which direction they are likely to jump out in front of my car and that may be just the extra amount of time I need to avoid hitting a deer.

Of course in November and December (mating season) deer are everywhere and active it seems 24 hours a day - not just at dawn and dusk. I dread driving at night in November and December - at least during daylight hours you have a fighting chance of seeing them and slowing down to avoid them.

Mary2014

Old 11-15-2010, 10:12 PM

7,368 posts, read 10,809,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
Has anyone else besided me noticed a pattern from which direction they will cross the road?
No, I've never noticed any pattern. During deer hunting searson, especially, there's no pattern as the shotguns startle them and they're running back and forth across the roads. I'll keep that thought in mind, though. When I see pickup trucks parking along fields and wooded areas, I slow down quite a bit, though.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:18 AM

378 posts, read 880,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Just a reminder to keep your eyes open for deer being flushed out of wooded areas, all over the state. It's deer hunting season, and the most popular choice for hunting deer is shotgun, going on right now, Nov. 12th to Nov. 20th. I've seen herds of deer charging through open fields this season, along with a few along the roadway, ready to bolt out. Be careful out there.

After Nov. 20th, it's not over. Here's a link showing hunting season dates.
2010-'11 Delaware Hunting & Trapping Seasons (http://www.fw.delaware.gov/Hunting/Pages/HuntingSeasons.aspx - broken link)
Thanks for that reminder and link. Good one!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:02 AM

152 posts, read 574,536 times
Yeah, It's mating season and the buck doesn't stop anywhere. My daughter hit one last week with her mini-van and he got up and ran. She lives in Pa. and even has the deer whistles that obviously did her no good.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Status: "Summer's here! Is it fall yet??" (set 26 days ago)

1,773 posts, read 3,074,047 times
Oh yes, deer hunting is in full swing. I have the unfortunate experience of driving from southeastern Sussex to southwestern Sussex five days a week for my job as a teacher. I have to travel the back roads, and EVERY day this month I've encounter deer. Trucks are on the side of the road everywhere. I even had to stop for deer crossing the road in my development because my area is so overdeveloped...sigh....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware